Strange Truck Dealer Request - Explain It To Me

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at a Ford dealer in town and started talking with a sales guy about a deal on a new truck. There were some things that surprised me, but not much as some of the tactics have been discussed here on S&M. Like they focus as much as possible on the payment only. Obfuscate numbers so you're confused as heck. Begged for me to "hlep them out" LMAO. There was one thing that really had me concerned so I am wondering if anyone here can explain it.

Sales guy wanted me to hand him a credit card so he could take it to management/finance. Now we had not made a deal or commitment on anything at this point so I was taken aback by the request. I asked why he needed to take my credit card. He said it was to show management/finance that I was serious. I thought to myself that seemed strange as I was not authorizing them to process anything on my card. Asked if it was for a credit check as I had not authorized that either. He said no but was determined that he had to "take it" to them to show them. I pulled out my wallet and said there are 3 cards in here, anyone who wants to "see" my card can come here and take a look. There were a few moments of awkward silence and the discussion was dropped.

What the heck is this taking my credit card to "show" someone all about?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at a Ford dealer in town and started talking with a sales guy about a deal on a new truck. There were some things that surprised me, but not much as some of the tactics have been discussed here on S&M. Like they focus as much as possible on the payment only. Obfuscate numbers so you're confused as heck. Begged for me to "hlep them out" LMAO. There was one thing that really had me concerned so I am wondering if anyone here can explain it.

Sales guy wanted me to hand him a credit card so he could take it to management/finance. Now we had not made a deal or commitment on anything at this point so I was taken aback by the request. I asked why he needed to take my credit card. He said it was to show management/finance that I was serious. I thought to myself that seemed strange as I was not authorizing them to process anything on my card. Asked if it was for a credit check as I had not authorized that either. He said no but was determined that he had to "take it" to them to show them. I pulled out my wallet and said there are 3 cards in here, anyone who wants to "see" my card can come here and take a look. There were a few moments of awkward silence and the discussion was dropped.

If you put money down there is a less likely chance of you walking away even though it’s 100% refundable. They always do that, they asked me to do that every time even when I bought a new truck in December was like “if they don’t think I’m serious I’ll go elsewhere”.

Had to walk out and drive outta the parking lot for them to take my price but they did. Good luck in today’s market doing that now though.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do it for a sales tactic to get you to commit . The sales manager will push the salesman to do so .

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff is normal, not saying its right but they are not trying to scam you or anything by taking your card, its just greasy car sales tactics. That said if your in the Edmonton area and looking for a ford I have a buddy that always hooks me and friends up and is not greasy at all. PM me if you want his contact.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years back I phoned edmonton dealer about a used truck. I asked before I drove up to see it what's the lowest they would take. He said give him 500 dollars on my credit card to show I was interested and the would tell be their bottom dollar. If I didn't like it they would refund my 500 back to me. I laughed and said forget it.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pm sent. A Good Ford guy

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This wasn't for a down payment, we hadn't even got close to that point yet. Just a really weird experience.

I'm in the drivers seat as I don't "need" a truck so it's easy to say no to the stupid stuff and walk away.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had that too, dealerships always looking for new ways to be shady. If nothing else, it's a way to try and force you to stay if you decide you've had enough of their BS. Never ever give them it, nor a deposit.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do it so that they can put a "hold" on the truck for you as a deal pending. Otherwise somebody else could buy it while you are still dealing on it and you might not get it all. Most legitimate dealer's will give you the money back if it doesn't go through.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea that's weird, not a Sales tactic to make you buy a vehicle thats for sure..

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how fawking greasy alot of them are. Talked to the owner of the dealership in trail the other day. Man what a slimey piece of work. They must really think people are stupid. But I guess most people probably just sign the paper as long as they get the shiny car

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a brand loyal guy, but at this point it is safe to say I have some loyalty to the local dealership/salesman. I traded my last truck in may. The deal was done verbally in less than 15minutes on the phone. When the new truck came in, they brought it to me with the paper work. I sent them back with a cheque and the old truck. I have zero patience for pressure sales tactics especially when it comes to new vehicles and if I encounter it I’m out the door. Still lots of good salesmen out there. If people would quit doing deals with the shitty ones it would send a clear message to the dealerships.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a pressure tactic same as taking your drivers license if you want to test drive, tell them to pound sand and find a dealer that is not like that, i use Koch ford Athabasca. Never any games and worth the drive

sure there is local but i don’t have the energy to look

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stealerships are in control right now and they know it, I tried to buy a new tundra for my wife, they wouldn’t sell it for cash only if financed, granted I could have taken loan and paid out a month later but I walked.

Top Bottom