Stocks to watch

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brother got me in on a pp mbx today.. some warrants as well.. I guess I better start watching it now

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I signed up to Weathsimple today to give it a try. They offer RRSP, TFSA Personal and Crypto trading and have COMMISSION FREE TRADES - this is a game changer for me. My biggest hesitation in "trading" stocks in my RBC accounts is the fact that it's $20 for a full trade ($9.98 buy & $9.98 sell) so even on a $400 profit the bank is getting 5% of my return - this is HUGE, most funds only charge management fees of 1-2% and they do all the work. It blows my mind that RBC/TD/CIBC etc. are pocketing $20 every time a securities transaction is complete.

The sign up process was quick and easy, linked to my RBC account in under 10 min. My $1000 into my new TFSA will take 3 days to process but the $250 I moved into a crypto account is available to buy BTC & ETH immediately.

Their ETF's are at a 31% return in the past 10 months too.

I've just signed up and will play with it for a while before I pass judgement but the commission free trading and easy access to crypto are huge benefits to me. I hold a lot of penny stock that regularly fluctuate $80-$200 each day and the ability to actively trade them without giving up a large portion of my profit to the bank is a big deal.

I will keep everyone posted.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I signed up to Weathsimple today to give it a try. They offer RRSP, TFSA Personal and Crypto trading and have COMMISSION FREE TRADES - this is a game changer for me. My biggest hesitation in "trading" stocks in my RBC accounts is the fact that it's $20 for a full trade ($9.98 buy & $9.98 sell) so even on a $400 profit the bank is getting 5% of my return - this is HUGE, most funds only charge management fees of 1-2% and they do all the work. It blows my mind that RBC/TD/CIBC etc. are pocketing $20 every time a securities transaction is complete.

The sign up process was quick and easy, linked to my RBC account in under 10 min. My $1000 into my new TFSA will take 3 days to process but the $250 I moved into a crypto account is available to buy BTC & ETH immediately.

Their ETF's are at a 31% return in the past 10 months too.

I've just signed up and will play with it for a while before I pass judgement but the commission free trading and easy access to crypto are huge benefits to me. I hold a lot of penny stock that regularly fluctuate $80-$200 each day and the ability to actively trade them without giving up a large portion of my profit to the bank is a big deal.

I will keep everyone posted.

I went with a different company for the Crypto - with wealthsimple there are fees as a percentage of the stock. it wasn't worth it to me. so 3-4% between the buy and sell.

Below is a list of fees associated with normal day-to-day transactions. The only trading fee we charge on Crypto is a 1.5-2% Operations Fee per transaction. This is charged by applying a spread on the bid and ask prices at which buy orders and sell orders execute. Trading spreads are presented in the Wealthsimple Trade app.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I went with a different company for the Crypto - with wealthsimple there are fees as a percentage of the stock. it wasn't worth it to me. so 3-4% between the buy and sell.

Below is a list of fees associated with normal day-to-day transactions. The only trading fee we charge on Crypto is a 1.5-2% Operations Fee per transaction. This is charged by applying a spread on the bid and ask prices at which buy orders and sell orders execute. Trading spreads are presented in the Wealthsimple Trade app.

Thanks for the info, I didn't catch that.... of course there are many pages of "fine print" so maybe on the crypto side they are fee heavy. I'm more interested in stock trading than crypto so if I can buy and sell stock without commission fees that is big.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with questrade,4.95 a trade but I don't trade as much as I thought I would. In fact I'm 95% cash right now.

Markets had a really good YTD, how could they not. The stock market was seriously on sale last spring. The rich bought up a lot of it and the rest of us were just thankful it came back so fast.

I'm cash now mostly because the current market scares me. Things look good but I don't think the markets should be higher now than before covid.

The market recovered without the GDP and employment to support it. My 2c

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm with questrade,4.95 a trade but I don't trade as much as I thought I would. In fact I'm 95% cash right now.

Markets had a really good YTD, how could they not. The stock market was seriously on sale last spring. The rich bought up a lot of it and the rest of us were just thankful it came back so fast.

I'm cash now mostly because the current market scares me. Things look good but I don't think the markets should be higher now than before covid.

The market recovered without the GDP and employment to support it. My 2c

If I'd have listened to my gut I'd be mostly cash right now but I didn't and I'm not.... I was up huge in Jan/Feb but since then I'm down over 20%. I don't know what to think of the markets in general but I'm quite loyal and educated in the stocks I do own. Commission free trading is big to me because I know the fluctuation limits in the ones I hold and could easily play the highs and lows over days/weeks but the cost of trading has hampered me, both in loss of profit and also on principal.... so I'll give these guys a shot and see if it fits my style.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I held on to a semi (nvida) it it's not moving for some reason. Semis are in short supply, you would think it should print...nope.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I was majority cash now, stocks are in a slump I have lately.. apli is a covid oral pill stock and finally might get some legs, but gold, and oil not moving

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the market will slow for the summer and a lot of small retail investors will take profits or cash. Spendy time after restrictions.

Move your money into retail like clothing, makeup, suits ;) Offices will be open by Sept. ? Gotta look good for the co workers.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I held on to a semi (nvida) it it's not moving for some reason. Semis are in short supply, you would think it should print...nope.

Nvidia did really well over a year ago at the start of the lockdowns when everyone starting buying PC components. IMO NVidia is currently overvalued, production is currently maxed out, and the majority of the extra profits from the current GPU price gouging are going to retailers or scalpers, not NVidia.

If I was holding any NVDA shares I'd be selling about now.

Of course this is only my opinion, and not financial advise.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still a believer in oil and gas stocks, so many companies are very undervalued right now compared to where they were at 2 years ago with lower oil prices than now. I'm still banking on $80-$100 oil by the end of the year, and so far the trend is headed in that direction.

Here's a few that I'm in:
NVA
SU
CR

But what do I know...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nvidia did really well over a year ago at the start of the lockdowns when everyone starting buying PC components. IMO NVidia is currently overvalued, production is currently maxed out, and the majority of the extra profits from the current GPU price gouging are going to retailers or scalpers, not NVidia.

If I was holding any NVDA shares I'd be selling about now.

Of course this is only my opinion, and not financial advise.

This is true. I'm selling GPU's that I bought 5years ago to mine bitcoin and monero for more than what they were new!

But what do I know....

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else holding EMO.V going on a nice run and is still very undervalued. Just waiting on drill results and sounds like they should have confirmation of winning long court battle.

Reactions: smc

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a guy get into buying stocks on your own? Is there a certain site you sign up with? What about all this Dogecoin talk. How do you trade that?
I am no financial genius but wonder if I should be trying something on my own, in small steps of course. Get my feet wet and see how it goes..

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dogecoin on the bounce after Musk slipped on Snl saying it’s a scam

Top Bottom