Stocks to watch

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up and down quite a bit. Throw a dice, that's a big gamble, can win big and loose big very fast.
View attachment 238636
I did all my bitcoin buying years ago when it was 4000$. Now im holding until maturity. That could be 0$ or could be a million dollars.

Never really thought id see the day it would be 80000$ , but it happened.

So ill hold and wait and see where it goes in the next 5 to 10 years.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still a believer in oil and gas stocks, so many companies are very undervalued right now compared to where they were at 2 years ago with lower oil prices than now. I'm still banking on $80-$100 oil by the end of the year, and so far the trend is headed in that direction.

Here's a few that I'm in:
NVA
SU
CR

But what do I know...

My portfolio still reflects this belief, WTI at $73 this morning, I don't see how oil prices can fall, the world is re-opening, international travel is taking off again, manufacturing is going into overdrive to make up for shortages, and best of all the politcal left wants to squeeze oil supply to increase prices to speed the adoption of renewables.

So far I'm up:
NVA 93.1%
SU 17.1%
CR 58.9%

But what do I know...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep oil is good, i was saying that a while back too.

But buying rental property's right now, and the stock market can suck it.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to figure out the best way to do rental properties. We rent out my wives house but we would like to get a couple more rentals.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A rents would be nice, but the tenant act in BC sure makes me leery, so many horror stories of not being able to get rid of dead beat renters. And people wonder why the rent prices are so high

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A rents would be nice, but the tenant act in BC sure makes me leery, so many horror stories of not being able to get rid of dead beat renters. And people wonder why the rent prices are so high
I had problems years ago with bad tenants total nightmare forsure. Biggest thing is definitely getting good tenants.

If you only have 1 property to rent it might not make sense to use professional managment, but if you get a bit of a portfolio togther then might be worth looking into.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Many people are just too nice and rely on doing it legally. If a deadbeat renter wants to try and stay and not pay rent, it's pretty easy to get rid of them, it's just not totally legal. I'd rather have a deadbeat renter try and come after me for wrongful eviction, then try and collect a bunch of damages and unpaid rent. One option is if you know a neighbor, all you need is them to say they witnessed the renter threaten you, 24 or 72 hour eviction I believe it is, then they tell you they believe the renter moved out. So you go inside, opps they didn't but it's too late you've now taken back the property, and if they come back at that point it's trespassing. I've never had to go to this, but if someone is trying to game the system I will do it in a heartbeat. In all honesty, as long as no one is home all you got to do is go and change the locks post notice on door, and then they can choose to try and come after you for wrongful eviction.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many people are just too nice and rely on doing it legally. If a deadbeat renter wants to try and stay and not pay rent, it's pretty easy to get rid of them, it's just not totally legal. I'd rather have a deadbeat renter try and come after me for wrongful eviction, then try and collect a bunch of damages and unpaid rent. One option is if you know a neighbor, all you need is them to say they witnessed the renter threaten you, 24 or 72 hour eviction I believe it is, then they tell you they believe the renter moved out. So you go inside, opps they didn't but it's too late you've now taken back the property, and if they come back at that point it's trespassing. I've never had to go to this, but if someone is trying to game the system I will do it in a heartbeat. In all honesty, as long as no one is home all you got to do is go and change the locks post notice on door, and then they can choose to try and come after you for wrongful eviction.

I hear what your saying, but the AB rules are a lot different from the BC ones. I would have no issue with a rental property in AB. But the BC ones are so far in favour of tenants it’s not even funny. Hence why guys like me don’t want to take a chance. Which puts less rentals on the market and drives price up. Would rather invest it than lose to to a bad renter.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had problems years ago with bad tenants total nightmare forsure. Biggest thing is definitely getting good tenants.

If you only have 1 property to rent it might not make sense to use professional managment, but if you get a bit of a portfolio togther then might be worth looking into.

Yea this is the biggest thing, just having a good read on people. Of all my tenants only one was bad, and it was just not giving a chit about the place, in reality it wasn't much damage, and I did sue and collect and did ok, I learned a lot so if it happens again I will do a lot better. Another thing is having a good lease, I learned that you can make your own with many additional conditions, you are not forced to use the alberta landlord one, and if they have stable employment that is huge as if you have an issue it's really easy to get your money. As far as property management i've never used one, but I would never, waste of money IMO. They might do the paperwork deal but a huge part of it is meeting the people and getting a feel for them, they also will only play 100% by the law as far as eviction, etc so you could get screwed if you run into tenants who try and play the system. And it's really not that often you have to do anything, even for $100/month it adds up, that would be $3600/year for me, not even close to worth it, plus repairs are on all top.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying, but the AB rules are a lot different from the BC ones. I would have no issue with a rental property in AB. But the BC ones are so far in favour of tenants it’s not even funny. Hence why guys like me don’t want to take a chance. Which puts less rentals on the market and drives price up. Would rather invest it than lose to to a bad renter.

Yea it wouldn't make sense then, even AB laws are in favor of the tenant. When I took one tenant to court I had my paperwork in line pretty well, they had SFA and they give them way too much benefit of the doubt. I was looking at selling with the way prices are, but even without any price appreciation I am making about 10% return on my money per year so it's hard to put the money in a use that pays that well with very little risk.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea this is the biggest thing, just having a good read on people. Of all my tenants only one was bad, and it was just not giving a chit about the place, in reality it wasn't much damage, and I did sue and collect and did ok, I learned a lot so if it happens again I will do a lot better. Another thing is having a good lease, I learned that you can make your own with many additional conditions, you are not forced to use the alberta landlord one, and if they have stable employment that is huge as if you have an issue it's really easy to get your money. As far as property management i've never used one, but I would never, waste of money IMO. They might do the paperwork deal but a huge part of it is meeting the people and getting a feel for them, they also will only play 100% by the law as far as eviction, etc so you could get screwed if you run into tenants who try and play the system. And it's really not that often you have to do anything, even for $100/month it adds up, that would be $3600/year for me, not even close to worth it, plus repairs are on all top.
Depends on the deal you have, but in my case theyd be doing everything. On a single family home, i see your point. But multi family buildings, different story. Looking after a 12 unit building is a lot of work. Now get 100 units and there is no fckn way you can do that all by yourself.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vacation rentals in BC seem to work good for my friends.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold out of CR, it was up 17% to $2.19 today, I was up 84% overall, was too tempting so sold out.

Thinking it'll correct itself tomorrow and I'll buy back in.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I sold 1/2 my Virgin Galactic on friday for $56USD after the 40% run up due to the FAA's launch approvals.

Looks like a solid move today as it has slid back to $47. The shares I still have are house money since I sold out 50% at a 160% return.....

It could go to the moon but at a valuation of 8 Billion on friday it would take a lot of 6 passenger flights @ $250K a pop to justify it's current value

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Any new news. Seen a dive earlier but have recovered and just sold some stock that wasn't going anywhere.
Certainly no recovery, sitting below $30USD this morning..... awfully glad I dumped 50% at $56USD, should have dumped all of it but my crystal ball has glitches.

At least what I hold now are house shares and my buy in was $21 USD so i'm still up 41%.... hoping it will recover to above $50 at some point but not holding my breath.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any new news. Seen a dive earlier but have recovered and just sold some stock that wasn't going anywhere.

I'm hoping hiti hgoes to about 20 to 50 by xmas.
been in them almost 2 years now and holding on for legalization. They just might be the walmart/liquordepot of the future, i hope

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought some with MTCH, July 20 when it was 153.77 finally jumped up today, so just sold at 164.49 get out while its rising, my luck it will go up to 170. But did good.

Now looking for something else.
td bank?
maple leaf foods?
Those are some of the "safer" ones I am in. I found it interesting about a week ago TD bank phone banking has a 3rd language, Chinese. Figured there might be a HUGE influx of people who speak that language in this country soon so maybe I should invest lol

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The best ones I've had so far that I'm holding on to are PPL, Pembina Pipelines, BTE Baytex Energy, CVE Cenovus Energy, Stocks rising and I'm receiving dividends which is a bonus.
Took a few Motley Fool recommendations, made some doe on the Match deal, I'll reinvest that and lets see how they go, RDFN, Redfin Corp is one of there recommendations, lets see either it will do something or ill loose. Just playing for coffee cash here, lol.

Top Bottom