Steve Martin Chain Case Tighten and Visual Inspection

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but just what is the issue? lots of chatter about wrong parts installed and quick coupler on drivesaft. Is it one or the other or the two combined?
The issue is the shaft is wearing and guys are getting the slack out of em by tightening the chain. It’s a pandemic on the 850 Facebook groups.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue is the shaft is wearing and guys are getting the slack out of em by tightening the chain. It’s a pandemic on the 850 Facebook groups.
Reading about these failures all over but the doo ambassadors have all stoped talking. Wait and see if BRP has any updates coming I guess.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Reading about these failures all over but the doo ambassadors have all stoped talking. Wait and see if BRP has any updates coming I guess.
There is no point in talking as guys will believe what they want to believe, there is a reason ski-doo does not answer here and it has done the same to me, most of the keyboard warriors just make stupid comments, so it just ain't worth it. I can help guys but again it aint worth posting cause of course its always wrong. This just means guys are on their own to dream up stuff which in turn becomes real, for some reason. If the shaft was wearing there would be way more damage. That is not the case. I handle stuff differently now. I am sure the keyboard warriors will have fun with this post to, fine by me as I have been out riding every day and having fun, and that is the most important thing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no point in talking as guys will believe what they want to believe, there is a reason ski-doo does not answer here and it has done the same to me, most of the keyboard warriors just make stupid comments, so it just ain't worth it. I can help guys but again it aint worth posting cause of course its always wrong. This just means guys are on their own to dream up stuff which in turn becomes real, for some reason. If the shaft was wearing there would be way more damage. That is not the case. I handle stuff differently now. I am sure the keyboard warriors will have fun with this post to, fine by me as I have been out riding every day and having fun, and that is the most important thing.

You got that right. It’s an internet manufactured pandemic like Covid. 1000km of total abuse on my sled. I keep an eye on the chain and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's fair. Mine is working good:):) and it has only needed 1.5 turns on the adjustment for chain so far so it seems like evry other sled I have had.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so by that logic, because your sled works fine means the other failures cannot be indicative a problem? put another way, if you're chain case does fail in this same way would you still think it's some other issue?

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow this needs to be let go by some.....

Does BRP know there is a problem? They Do. They know that without proper upkeep ( Tension,Oil Changes ect) these chains and components will fail. They also know that most dont read there manuals, so they get the Reps to post all over social media to get the word out about the upkeep needed.

After this all happens should be good......... nope still someone elses fault the chain case blew ( we heard it on the internet but no one knows what the upkeep or ride history of machine was) it has to be BRP. They need to do something about it. Give me a break

These machine are getting so powerful that we have started heading back to the old days of wrenching on them to keep them working. The days of the under powered over built are gone. More upkeep will be the new normal. For some of us it has just come around full circle!! lol

Problems like the Polaris drive shaft in 13, that is a clear Manufacturer screw up.

Just to be clear also, i have more Polaris stuff than some dealers and wont touch Doolaide (Allergic) Just really tired of the whaaa whaaaa my machine broke, i shouldn't have to look after my stuff it should just last whaaaa whaaaa and the they pay the reps to cover for them. They need to look after me me me better.

I guess Polaris Guys just learn to have Broad shoulders.:beer:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
p67ab.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow this needs to be let go by some.....

Does BRP know there is a problem? They Do. They know that without proper upkeep ( Tension,Oil Changes ect) these chains and components will fail. They also know that most dont read there manuals, so they get the Reps to post all over social media to get the word out about the upkeep needed.

After this all happens should be good......... nope still someone elses fault the chain case blew ( we heard it on the internet but no one knows what the upkeep or ride history of machine was) it has to be BRP. They need to do something about it. Give me a break

These machine are getting so powerful that we have started heading back to the old days of wrenching on them to keep them working. The days of the under powered over built are gone. More upkeep will be the new normal. For some of us it has just come around full circle!! lol

Problems like the Polaris drive shaft in 13, that is a clear Manufacturer screw up.

Just to be clear also, i have more Polaris stuff than some dealers and wont touch Doolaide (Allergic) Just really tired of the whaaa whaaaa my machine broke, i shouldn't have to look after my stuff it should just last whaaaa whaaaa and the they pay the reps to cover for them. They need to look after me me me better.

I guess Polaris Guys just learn to have Broad shoulders.:beer:

Good points, there’s a new breed of sledder out there that missed all the greasy hands, bloody knuckle on the hill RnD some of us did for a very long time before the sleds got as good as they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so by that logic, because your sled works fine means the other failures cannot be indicative a problem? put another way, if you're chain case does fail in this same way would you still think it's some other issue?

im not sure if this was directed at me or not but i am just going by what i have seen with my own eyes not what i see on the internet. My dealership hasn't had any failures, my friends haven't had any failures, i haven't seen any failures on the hill and no one that i have talked to in person has had a failure. So im just drawing my own conclusions and riding my sled rather than being scared of it. Have some blown up? yes clearly. Is it a problem? time will tell. I'm not denying it isn't happening just that its not a widespread plague leaving gen 5s scattered all over the mountain side.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enough. i know we'll never get a number from BRP regarding number of failures. the sticking point for me is the short timeframe that this has happened. if it were over the years then yeah, big deal but i had the chain starting to rub in my chaincase after the first few, easy rides. hence my concern.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what other manufactures are dealing tnere customers these days,
Pretty dam happy with brp the sled rips and it showed up on time and ive gotten a couple trips on it and its been flawless but im not a fan of tbe quick change but i may jusy swap it back to a standard shaft after this season once i open it up and see what the play is after a season if she looks good ill feel good about leaving it in for next season

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty dam happy with brp the sled rips and it showed up on time and ive gotten a couple trips on it and its been flawless but im not a fan of tbe quick change but i may jusy swap it back to a standard shaft after this season once i open it up and see what the play is after a season if she looks good ill feel good about leaving it in for next season

id wait, who knows maybe BRP is working on something and will update all the sleds. No one knows but i wouldn't start buying parts just yet. I do feel like the drivers will be a weak point on these machines once they get some miles on them with the extra power. If you end up going with the fixed shaft throw some aftermarket drivers on then you will never have to take it apart again.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, no arguments there regarding performance. very happy with it overall.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the real issue is that past Doo sleds did not have this issue and while upping the power Doo might have supplied a slightly less reliable system. The guys I know that ride Doo's really focus on reliability as a key buying choice decision. Even the slightest bit of worry about an exploding chaincase makes these riders uneasy.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the hp and abuse people are putting the boosts through once off warranty I would be doing a chain every 2500 km. Or less chains are cheap chain cases aren’t. My Turbo apex got a chain every 2000 km I ran 290 hp. My turbo viper was less hp so every 2500. Vmax4 @ 180 hp every 2500. The way guys are pounding these new sleds even if you do it at 1000 km still cheap maintenance. Just 2cents.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good read, and while I don't own Ski Doo brand sled, my wife does, but older, and no turbo.
We didn't used to ride a lot while living in Vancouver, but should be doing a lot more now. While I am an amateur in the shop, I have bought some tools the past year, and learning. Everything went to a shop in the past, been watching YouTube videos and teaching myself how to do things. Threads like this encourage me to learn more, and do more myself now that I have a large shop, and the time to spend in it. My sled was dropped off at the shop every spring, and they serviced it, so ready for the next season. But I also only rode 10 days a season, and all I did was top up the oil tank and gas. In my ignorance didn't know that carrying a spare belt was a thing until joining this forum, much less spark plugs, or tools.
While I don't see any benefit to arguments about possible problems, education is wonderful.

Blessings to all who share their knowledge on here.
Me, I will mostly ask stupid questions, but have to start learning somewhere. I bought spare belts for our sleds, and practiced changing them in the shop. Replaced spark plugs in our sleds, and greased them. While some of you are probably laughing at me right now, we don't know what we don't know.

Top Bottom