Starlink

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_1712.png

IMG_1713.png

Startlink has been hooked up for two days now. 17 times faster than my best available speed with redbird. Hopefully there’s not many interruptions in the starlink over the course of the year. The wife works from home and having client meetings with internet that cuts out is nit very professional.

Edit; redbird cost is $100 per month.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 240663
View attachment 240664
Startlink has been hooked up for two days now. 17 times faster than my best available speed with redbird. Hopefully there’s not many interruptions in the starlink over the course of the year. The wife works from home and having client meetings with internet that cuts out is nit very professional.

Edit; redbird cost is $100 per month.

That's got to be one of the highest latency speed tests on Starlink that I've ever seen.

I'm assuming it's an anomaly though?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Got a letter from Starlink today.

Since our last update, the Starlink team has been hard at work building the systems and infrastructure to enable growth while continuously improving service quality. Below are some of the highlights:
Space Lasers
As Elon recently mentioned, the Starlink team is preparing to launch upgraded satellites that will include space lasers. Space lasers enable our satellites to transfer data between each other without having to go through a ground station. Once fully deployed, space lasers will
make Starlink one of the fastest options available to transfer data around the world.

Connecting to the Best Satellite
The team completed roll out of a new feature to all users that enables your Starlink to seamlessly switch to a different satellite in real time if communication with your assigned satellite is interrupted for any reason. There can only be one satellite connected to your Starlink at any time, but this feature will enable choice of the best satellite, resulting in far fewer network disruptions.

High Temperature Management
The Starlink team has initiated a series of software improvements that change how your Starlink responds to high temperatures. These improvements will roll out over the next few weeks and should address invalid “Thermal Shutdown” app alerts seen by some customers.

Starlink App Upgrades
The Starlink team recently rolled out several improvements that enable users to
do all of the following from the app:
  • make network name/password changes
  • enable WPA3 security
  • separate control of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
  • To date, Starlink has received deposits from almost every country around the world. Going forward, our ability to expand service will be driven in part by governments granting Starlink licensing internationally.

Thank you for being an early user of Starlink—we appreciate your feedback and continued support!

The Starlink Team

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you rural folks receive it, says they wont ship to a PO box? Send to a friends?

Getting so sick of no shipping to PO boxes...not sure how all the rural people do it. I can only have so much mail sent to my work before they get pissy.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
How do you rural folks receive it, says they wont ship to a PO box? Send to a friends?

Getting so sick of no shipping to PO boxes...not sure how all the rural people do it. I can only have so much mail sent to my work before they get pissy.
I have a mailbox at PaKMail in Tera Losa, Get a mail box for 3 months at a local one in your area. I have had mine here for 4 years it makes it very easy to get parcels and mail when you live on an acredege. And the owner MC is a great guy too.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like they have anything local to me, interesting idea though.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's got to be one of the highest latency speed tests on Starlink that I've ever seen.

No idea I set it up and had to head to work shortly after. Wife says it’s been over 75 everytime she’s check. I do have it mounted on the roof and the 3 legged stand probably should have been rotated one leg. I’ll mess with it more when I get back home next week.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah that is a bit high. If you use the www.fast.com one they give you a loaded and unloaded latency. I'm usually in that 30-50ms range on the unloaded.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's what I had to do. The box is quite big, 26" x 32" x 9". I can't remember if it was fedex or UPS but you may be able to just pick it up from them directly.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got the email this morning it has been shipped via FedEx. Wouldn’t deliver to PO Box either so I always use a local store‘s address where they have FedEx and Purolator drop offs.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my Starlink on Thursday which was ahead of schedule as their original planned arrival date was Monday the 9th. I just temporarily set it up on the front lawn for now to see how it would work and seems to be awesome so far. I ordered the pole adapter from them so hoping to remove the MCSnet antenna and install it on same J pole on the edge of my roof. I noticed Dishy is angled to the south and I do have some tall trees to the south of my house so hoping it will still work when installed on roof. If not, then I guess I’ll have to cut down trees or mount on the roof further North.

Attachments

• 493F5BD4-8264-409D-99DD-40ACDD1BB50F.jpeg
    493F5BD4-8264-409D-99DD-40ACDD1BB50F.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 79

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Got my Starlink on Thursday which was ahead of schedule as their original planned arrival date was Monday the 9th. I just temporarily set it up on the front lawn for now to see how it would work and seems to be awesome so far. I ordered the pole adapter from them so hoping to remove the MCSnet antenna and install it on same J pole on the edge of my roof. I noticed Dishy is angled to the south and I do have some tall trees to the south of my house so hoping it will still work when installed on roof. If not, then I guess I’ll have to cut down trees or mount on the roof further North.
If you download the app and go up to the location there is a tool that will tell you if you'll have a good spot or not

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Download speeds look crazy fast but is this just because the highway (pipeline) isn’t too busy yet with subscribers?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Download speeds look crazy fast but is this just because the highway (pipeline) isn’t too busy yet with subscribers?

Absolutely possible, about 20gbps per satellite works out to 200 users simultaneously using 100mbps. Of course not all users are on at the same time, or using all of their bandwidth, but there is a limit to how many subscribers each satellite can provide. Starlink can't compete with most traditional telecom companies in urban areas, which will keep the Starlink bandwidth available for rural users. Even if Starlink did get overloaded and speeds dropped to say 10mbps its still faster than what a company like explornet can offer in many areas.

Starlink is planning to launch more satellites though which will support more users, there are 338 V1.0 satellites (with laser based inter-satellite connection) planned for launch starting this month, and the V1.5 and V2.0 satellites should start heading for space sometime in 2022.

Top Bottom