Starlink

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$649 for the hardware and $130 a month for the service. My hardware is supposed to be here today so maybe I can do a before and after speed test for tomorrow.
One week from ordering to arrival, super simple install, speeds never less than 80 now that it’s found it’s favourite satellites

Attachments

• 2D5DF410-3C32-4844-97AC-1725938A9EED.png
    2D5DF410-3C32-4844-97AC-1725938A9EED.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 75

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just east of Okotoks. I have neighbors 300 feet away from me with Telus and Shaw. After 10 years of trying to find someone to talk to at Shaw, I finally got through to the addressing department and was told it would be $100,000 to get their service to my house. Currently using Telus Smarthub and it is pretty bad. On a good day, download is about 14 mbps. Most days it's around 5 or 6. It's still better and more reliable than xplornet.
I put the deposit down on Starlink. They say mid to late 2021.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was getting 1-3mbs on my Telus hub outside of Terrace last two weeks.
Everything was freezing and hockey was in low def when it worked
Cell service has been going downhill there as well though

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
North of Thorhild here, gave my deposit back on Feb 24 and still waiting... can’t wait to tell MCSNET to pound sand. Service has been pretty poor lately with all the peeps working from home and also kids at home.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you currently using and how are the speeds?
Had the hub things, was ok for single device use, not so good with 3 kids doing home schooling. Went to a local satellite supplier. Is supposed to be around 20mbps but probably closer to 5-10. The perk is its only $80 or 90 per month unlimited. Works ok with 2 or 3 devices but as soon as another device hooks up forget about it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an email from my ISP the other day, our internet package has been discontinued and we have been automatically upgraded to the next package. We went from 125mbps to 350mbps download. I'm wondering if competition from companies like Starlink have pushed Eastlink to increase internet speeds? Telus is the only other competitor here, and their packages are still comparable to my old one, so not likely caused by them. Regardless, competition in this space is good for all.

Screenshot (148).png

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an email from my ISP the other day, our internet package has been discontinued and we have been automatically upgraded to the next package. We went from 125mbps to 350mbps download. I'm wondering if competition from companies like Starlink have pushed Eastlink to increase internet speeds? Telus is the only other competitor here, and their packages are still comparable to my old one, so not likely caused by them. Regardless, competition in this space is good for all.

View attachment 236396
As someone that owns a company in the industry, Starlink doesn't have too many people besides xplornet worried. They are going to take the hard to service customers off our hands, which quite frankly is fine with me. It's not profitable for us to service every single household in our service areas. Trees and terrain play major factors. Some of the ISPs out there, big and small, just suck at what they do. We just bought out our first competitor, and now we are looking to do the same to a few others across Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Honestly, Starlink has the potential to help me immensely. They are going to draw some major blood and bring the price of companies down. We can buy them up cheap, put some money in to keep the customers happy that are realistic to provide coverage to, and Starlink can sweep up the guys that have had ch!t service since day one. We flat out refuse to install a customer ID they can't get what we advertise. That wasn't always the case, but nowadays it's about keeping your name out of the mud. We want happy customers that don't need service calls ever. They spread the word better than any advertisement ever could.

As for Eastlink, they are in a bit of a price war with Telus. Telus lines to come in with awesome deals and clean up customers. Eastlink is trying to stay on top of it, but it's definitely causing them some pain. I know quite a few folks in higher up positions all through the industry, so I have a bit of insight.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone that owns a company in the industry, Starlink doesn't have too many people besides xplornet worried. They are going to take the hard to service customers off our hands, which quite frankly is fine with me. It's not profitable for us to service every single household in our service areas. Trees and terrain play major factors. Some of the ISPs out there, big and small, just suck at what they do. We just bought out our first competitor, and now we are looking to do the same to a few others across Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Honestly, Starlink has the potential to help me immensely. They are going to draw some major blood and bring the price of companies down. We can buy them up cheap, put some money in to keep the customers happy that are realistic to provide coverage to, and Starlink can sweep up the guys that have had ch!t service since day one. We flat out refuse to install a customer ID they can't get what we advertise. That wasn't always the case, but nowadays it's about keeping your name out of the mud. We want happy customers that don't need service calls ever. They spread the word better than any advertisement ever could.

As for Eastlink, they are in a bit of a price war with Telus. Telus lines to come in with awesome deals and clean up customers. Eastlink is trying to stay on top of it, but it's definitely causing them some pain. I know quite a few folks in higher up positions all through the industry, so I have a bit of insight.
What company are you with?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 236396
That's the way it should be. Not lobbying the government to shut down your competitors.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What company are you with?
We are a small but rapidly growing company operating in Northeast Alberta and North/Central West Saskatchewan currently. CCL Networks is the name of our internet services division. I haven't checked in a while, but we recently hit the 3000 client mark and that's climbing in a hurry as we break in to new markets.

Top Bottom