spending night on mountain

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a thought i know alot of people have different ideas on what to pack in the backcountry. i think it would be nice to hear from sledders who had to spend the night unexpediately what they had that was a must have but also what they wish they had. if extra clothing,different means for fire starter,something to melt snow etc. would like to hear from people who were stranded on mountain and first hand experience of what they wish they had,so if you were caught overnight or know somebody who was the real info would be nice and possible benefical to others. i pack what i think i could survive with but have not had to and dont plan on it but think since some have already spent the night this year would be nice for first hand info.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A warm bed!! Survival blanket/sleeping bag, warm dry socks, large collapsible saw, warm dry mittens, extra gas, candles.

You can boil water in just about any container, but metal container for melting snow.

Son spent night out earlier this season and said they were unprepared and it was the worse night of his young life.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol we(our whole scout group) spent the night in the hills once. Late 90's. We were down in Yellowstone sledding for the first time. We rented Polaris 550 fan cooled trail sleds. They worked great on the trail, and decent where moderate snow, but they build a lot of infrastructure on stilts for good reason. They get a f_ck pile of snow too! On our 3rd day about 3pm we followed a trail in which we shouldn't have. We got stuck in a gulley/bowl with chest deep pow and steep as balls on both sides. Now a days that be a dream with the current sleigh, but in them days it was a serious problem. The old scout motto is "Be Prepared"! Well...we weren't prepared for a night out that's for sure. We had food water and lighters as the leaders smoked, but that was about it. No shovels, probes, beacons, sat phones, none of it. We all had pocket knives though. Ever woven together small tree branches to create a shovel head? 7 of us did. We Came up with the idea and made them soon after we realized we weren't getting out that night. First thing we did was make 2 huge snow piles as tall as possible, then started cleaning a highway up the hill starting where we powered out. At about 8pm or so in the dark we went back to the bottom to our snow piles and hollowed them both out to build quinzee huts. Broke off a bunch of spruce bows to lay on to keep off the snow. Built a small fire in each one for warmth. Spent 50% of the next day and finished cleaning a roughly 200m highway up a steep steep hill to escape. Looking back my dad and the other 2 leaders handled it great. For us it was more of an adventure. Not sure I'd wanna be in the same pair of shoes with my 2 boys.

Now adays sledding for me is way different. I have all the necessities for safety and survival and then some. My backpack is just over 40lbs and I have that easy in weight on the tunnel to. As I always tell people....I'd rather be looking at it than for it.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last trip out the vis was poor and it was storming and blowing pretty good. Decided to practice making a fire just because. Well the fire is easy to make, but to keep going in a storm its a full time job.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last trip out the vis was poor and it was storming and blowing pretty good. Decided to practice making a fire just because. Well the fire is easy to make, but to keep going in a storm its a full time job.
Usually stay warmer gathering wood for the fire than from the fire. If you're solo a fire might not be the greatest idea, if there's a group that can share the wood gathering it's better.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is the preferred tactic. Set up early? as soon as you know its 100% overnighter? Try and walk out no matter what? I hope I never need any of these tips...

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
There's way too many variables.If I'm broke down near a groomed trail,I'm gonna start walking. If there's a heated cabin near by,I'll probably hang out there.If I'm down a drainage I can't get my sled out of,chances are I'm gonna hunker down till daylight.Depends how cold it is ,how deep the snow is.
So what is the preferred tactic. Set up early? as soon as you know its 100% overnighter? Try and walk out no matter what? I hope I never need any of these tips...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're convinced you're spending the night then yes quit putting energy into getting your sled out and start prepping your camp. Shelter first then water and food possibly fire. Don't walk out, stay put searchers will find you.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i spent a night in the great outdoors in Nov,2002. Worst night of my life. Had 3 small chocolate bars, a few pieces of papertowels,my gun and a bit of ammo, hunting knife, and thats it. Lots of strange noises out there and a few loud ones too. I made ear muffs out of the papertowels as I was getting real cold. I put my arms and hands close to my chest to keep them warm which helped. Original plan was a 2 hour walk with the father-inlaw which turned into a full RCMP search the next day for me. I walked for 4 hours the next morning and made my way out. Never again will that happen. Now my sledding gear (and my hunting gear) includes alot of stuff to keep warm and dry and to be able to see in the dark and a way to make contact for help. A scary night for myself and my family.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does no one winter camp on here? I go out a couple of days a season it not that big a deal. I bring a tent and sleeping bag but I have buddies that just use a bivy bag and pad.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the difference is being prepared in both cases. being prepared to snowmobile and be forced to spend the night with what you have might make you bring more everyday after. Ray, do you bring the tent/bag/bivy on a normal day?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was watching a survival program a couple years ago and they suggested not to waste energy on building a fire. They suggested cutting bunch of branches with needles to keep feet and body off the snow. Build a small snow hut then use the survival blanket over your whole body and have a candle lit. In the program they showed an outside temp around -14 (if I recall) to +4 under the blanket. Pretty impressive from a little candle. So, I pack a good quality candle and the other obvious survival tools.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're convinced you're spending the night then yes quit putting energy into getting your sled out and start prepping your camp. Shelter first then water and food possibly fire. Don't walk out, stay put searchers will find you.
No one wants to spend the night in the elements. Between the cold and the wind it'd be over soon for most. They would give up. Getting out of the harsh elements is key. We knew we werent getting out anytime quickly. And we were about 45miles away from Yellowstone iirc.

Does no one winter camp on here? I go out a couple of days a season it not that big a deal. I bring a tent and sleeping bag but I have buddies that just use a bivy bag and pad.

All of us in the small group grew up winter Camping a bit. Was called the Devon Winter Challenge camp. Just Nw of Devon a pinch. Kinda honed your survival skills as a young lad. I think that is why none us were all that concerned about spending the night outside. Just a Chitty deal. We had paid for motel rooms with empty beds lol, oh well, we made er out the next day!!

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a night in Eagles with a buddy last April.
I had spare long under wear (from Costco), spare socks, pair of heavy wool socks and heavy balaclava. Also survival candle, bivy sack, knife, small folding saw and multiple fire starting tools.

Had I to do it again, I would:
- Choose and dig quinzee location close to top of an OPEN rising (sleds parked there with the orange side of a bivy sack draped over it will be more easily spotted than in the trees). If you dig it too low to lowest point nearby, a lot of cold air will seep into the quinzee.
- Don't dig it too spacious.
- Don't follow youtube-stars advice and dig it in a T shape. Yes, the lower part acts like a cold air trap, but it will eventually push up to you (Revy SAR advice). Or make it just long enough to crawl in. Dig the entrance tunnel up, not straight in. That will keep the coldest air out. Inside should just be flat.
- Collect bows for insulation. If you think you have enough, collect same amount again. Bows compress a lot. You don't want to feel the cold on your back...
- Close off entrance really well. We used side panels and didn't see in the dark that there were gaping holes. Realized in the morning that the night probably would have been a bit more comfortable with a properly closed off entrance.
- If possible location should be close to dead trees. Green trees don't burn well.
- Cheap knifes break.
- Bivy sacks are warmer, but collect your body moisture as well. Clothing will be damp=really cold. In my case at least. My riding gear is lightly insulated (I know, I know) and was drenched in sweat from riding and digging the quinzee.

I'm not a pro in survival, just my real-life experience. We made it through the night just fine. SAR actually gave us a compliment for how we handled the situation.

I now carry a fleece jacket, down vest and spare sweater with me on top of the rest. And I ordered a decent sturdy knife.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks snowcannon was hoping to hear from people with first hand experience with non planned overnight and what they changed or added to what they pack.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had spare long under wear (from Costco), spare socks, pair of heavy wool socks and heavy balaclava. Also survival candle, bivy sack, knife, small folding saw and multiple fire starting tools.

- Choose and dig quinzee location close to top of an OPEN rising (sleds parked there with the orange side of a bivy sack draped over it will be more easily spotted than in the trees). If you dig it too low to lowest point nearby, a lot of cold air will seep into the quinzee.
- Don't follow youtube-stars advice and dig it in a T shape. Yes, the lower part acts like a cold air trap, but it will eventually push up to you (Revy SAR advice). Or make it just long enough to crawl in. Dig the entrance tunnel up, not straight in. That will keep the coldest air out. Inside should just be flat.
- Collect bows for insulation. If you think you have enough, collect same amount again. Bows compress a lot. You don't want to feel the cold on your back...
- Close off entrance really well. We used side panels and didn't see in the dark that there were gaping holes. Realized in the morning that the night probably would have been a bit more comfortable with a properly closed off entrance.
- If possible location should be close to dead trees. Green trees don't burn well.
- Cheap knifes break.
- Bivy sacks are warmer, but collect your body moisture as well. Clothing will be damp=really cold. In my case at least. My riding gear is lightly insulated (I know, I know) and was drenched in sweat from riding and digging the quinzee.

I'm not a pro in survival, just my real-life experience. We made it through the night just fine. SAR actually gave us a compliment for how we handled the situation.

I now carry a fleece jacket, down vest and spare sweater with me on top of the rest. And I ordered a decent sturdy knife.

Good story...did you get any sleep?

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember to refresh your survival blankets every few years they go rotten after awhile and fall to pieces when you go to use them
I had this happen when we had to spend a night out in barkerville was a long night
shovel saws arent made for getting firewood either
always pack a good saw something sturdy and sharp

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

- Cheap knifes break.

I joined snowcannon for an unplanned winter camping trip...

-don't make the quiznee any bigger than it needs to be.
- you can same some time by putting larger boughs at the bottom and topping it off with some fine stuff (total min. 8" thick)
-should have tossed some snow up against the panels to
seal and insulate properly.
-Cheap knives are great for opening up beef jerky bags... splitting wood- not so much.
-I had a survival blanket... don't get the small size, any movement and it lets cold air in from the sides. A bivy bag will collect more moisture.
-have some "dedicated" food that's meant for emergencies. We had enough food to stay comfortable but more wouldn't hurt :d
-dry spare clothing is awesome.
-bought a larger saw that comes along now. ( Shovel saws seem like a great idea, but they're easier to break than most think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom