So I bought a truck for my daughter…..

brad6

Reaction score
Cool project with your kid, FYI the RAptor White is a great match to GM white. Just did my truck's rockers and inside bottom door jambs and did the tailgate that was badly rock chipped. Turned out very nice! Easy to work with and looks great! Got quite a few comments on my truck so far. Highly recommend the Raptor Liner.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool project with your kid, FYI the RAptor White is a great match to GM white. Just did my truck's rockers and inside bottom door jambs and did the tailgate that was badly rock chipped. Turned out very nice! Easy to work with and looks great! Got quite a few comments on my truck so far. Highly recommend the Raptor Liner.
Thanks. Good to know…I think I read somewhere it’s gm summit white ..the premixed raptor. I was planning on doing the rockers and front part of the bumper/ hood.

What did you use to scuff the paint to prep it?

brad6

Reaction score
Just followed their prep recommendations, Scuff with spec'd sand paper
IMG_5403.jpg
IMG_5406.jpg
grit, Acid etch primer for any bare metals, adhesion promoter on plastics ( I did the top cap on my front bumper where the fake chrome was starting to peel)

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was on the fence with the price of gas to get her a truck. She always wants to drive my mega cab diesel around and is embarrassed to drive the wife’s beetle. Lol. So this truck came up and figured the wife can use it for work if roads get terrible and my daughter and I can work on fixing it up.

It’s a cute little truck and totally suits her personality. Glad I got it.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered the gloss black powder for the wheels. It will look sick.
A9F7FA09-9AB3-43AF-9AAB-F1CA8595BA99.jpeg

Last edited:

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool. Yup was Lethbridge. I’m in the Hat tho. I may need help. Lol. Planning on stitch welding in 16 gauge cold rolled sheet metal in the cutouts. Then por15 underneath and raptor bed liner over the top.

As for the frame was going to degrease, metal prep, por15 and chassis black top coat (only because I have this stuff already).

Well since you’re in the hat and want stuff powder coated. Just don’t go to cactus coatings……..

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well since you’re in the hat and want stuff powder coated. Just don’t go to cactus coatings……..
I learned that lesson years ago…that’s why I started doing my own. Those guys are brutal. Had larger stuff done there and it all started to flake off. They didn’t prep properly.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned that lesson years ago…that’s why I started doing my own. Those guys are brutal. Had larger stuff done there and it all started to flake off. They didn’t prep properly.

Sadly me too. That’s why I thought I’d tell you. They also don’t know how box line anything either haha

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used just any old rust paint on a frame once,I was peeling metal chunks off years later,good to hear you use the proper stuff,nice project.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully works out. See stories about the por15 peeling. I email POR15 Canada and they said people run into issues where they didn’t knock off the flaky rust, they didn’t use the cleaner and metal prep. See I guess. Not putting to much time into it.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I think POR -15 peeling is usually from poor prep and using it incorrectly. It’s designed to be painted onto rusty metal. Not flaky and dirty, but not clean bare metal either. I think if used as per instructions, its damn near bullet proof.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought this 2011 Colorado for my daughter as her first vehicle. Very good shape for the mileage(195k). Went through it , changed front axle seal and cv axle, fixed the console lid, plugs, cleaned throttle body, ..etc

View attachment 248268
View attachment 248269
View attachment 248271
Well then I pulled out the the plastic box liner and things escalated from there. Lol…. found some rust and and decided since it was all the way through I’d take the box off and fix it. Then spray raptor liner in it. Now I’ve knocked the rust off the frame and painting that. Also planning to powder the wheels gloss black. My daughter is helping a bit so that’s awesome she’s showing interest.
View attachment 248274

View attachment 248273
View attachment 248272

View attachment 248275
They are great trucks and with pretty much bullet proof motor, They were inline 4 and inline 5 motors which were made by Isuzu the I 5 was a bit hard on fuel bought ran for ever. Bought the double can one for my son years ago and he just sold it with almost 400 K on it. Best of luck and great choice for a first car.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started welding the patches in the box. I’ve never really welded sheet metal on a truck before. Definitely takes patients.

8E4A24BA-7ACF-4229-9355-8D107F8F9A79.jpeg
C2125695-B786-4730-9486-2943E9AD0C70.jpeg
E1DA97B3-3A40-40AA-B6BF-3A1C0B0E3AF1.jpeg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great trucks and with pretty much bullet proof motor, They were inline 4 and inline 5 motors which were made by Isuzu the I 5 was a bit hard on fuel bought ran for ever. Bought the double can one for my son years ago and he just sold it with almost 400 K on it. Best of luck and great choice for a first car.
Good to hear….yeah I hope it’s last 100k plus for her.

Top Bottom