Snowmobile Choices

mitchdb

Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to the sport of Snowmobiling, I have NEVER owned one (I live in South Texas) but I have rented them several times over the past 15 years. I'm an avid off-roaded though, I currently own a Jeep Rubicon, 2 Polaris RZR's (Green and Red), Polaris Outlaw 4 Wheeler, Sea Doo RXP-X and Sea Doo RXT-X.

I would LOVE to buy a couple of Snowmobiles, for my wife and I. We always ride with our kids, daughter 8, son 7. So I'd like to find something that roomy enough for me and 1 kid but yet still has a sporty feel. I've talked to several different dealers from South Lake Tahoe, Cailifornia to Gunnison Colorado. I know they have more experience than I do but they all seem to have a little difference in opinion of what performance is.

Some would say the 600cc is the best performing with it's light sporty feel, some would say the 800cc because it's a great combo of the 600's sportyness and the 1100's power. And still others will say the 1100cc turbo is the best performing, based on all out power.

My main thing is, does the weight of the big powerful 1100cc turbo have a ton of drawbacks because it is sooo heavy? A big 4 stroke should handle a turbo much better than a smaller 2 stroke.

Do the 600's run outta power? Even though they are lighter and easier to maneuver? Are they affected a lot by adding a small child weight, along with mine. Does it have enough physical room?

800's seem to have it all for me but that's based on a South Texas Opinion!

I've NEVER lived anywhere that snows and actually sticks! But my wife and I have considered looking for a condo with a garage somewhere that has a ton of snow.

I really appreciate any input on this. I hope this question has NOT been asked over and over again! I couldn't find anything with just a quick search. But it's really interesting to hear peoples opinion on this kind of thing that have pretty much lived it their entire lives! I can tell ya all about living through Summers that have constant 100+ degree (F) temperatures everyday from the end of May til 1st of October! OH YEAH, that's 38+ degrees (C) for those of you way up North! HAHA!

Thanks!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look at the mxz 600 back country. insane fuel and oil mileage for a 2 stroke. 120 hp and a good looking/performing machine. get a two up seat that can be installed to ride double. and new up here you can get into one for +/- 13k. talked to a guy on the weekend has a new 600 and the 1200 four stroke. says he gets around 260 miles to a tank with the 600 on gas and arund 450 for his oil.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
It will all depend on the type of riding you intend to do. If your looking at trail riding something in the 600 range in most cases will have more then enough power. As a beginner your probably better off with a 600 for mountain riding as well. It'll allow you to learn how to ride before moving up in horsepower. Most 600's are in the 120 - 130 horse power range and the 800's are in the 150 - 160 range depending on manufacturer. You can always trade off / sell or keep the sixes for your kids when moving up yourself. You can pick up a seat jack for your kids as well for two up riding if you do not want to pick up touring sleds. You may also want to consider picking up a couple of 340's or like for your kids depending on maturity level for them to learn to ride.

mitchdb

Reaction score
Is that the Ski Doo MXZ? I've got a subscription to SnowGoer Magazine, last month's issue had the 600 Class Shootout. The Ski Doo MX Z X 600 was last years champ and this years champ. Must be a great machine!!

There is also an MX Z 800cc too! Is there a BIG difference in performance between fast 600's and fast 800's??

Thanks!!!

mitchdb

Reaction score
A 340cc??? I've never seen those! Are they beginner or kids sleds?

Thanks

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also an MX Z 800cc too! Is there a BIG difference in performance between fast 600's and fast 800's??

Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

The power diff. is very huge.

Reaction score
I've NEVER lived anywhere that snows
Thanks!

What do you mean here is a picture from Kingwood (Houston) set by my parents. Is'nt this enough snow?

Attachments

• DSCN1187[1].JPG
    DSCN1187[1].JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 167

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi
Know matter what sled u buy royal dist have a seat u can slide onto a sport sled if it only has a seat for one ride. I drive yamaha & it's been very dependable for the years ive owned it. A good sled ive found & still own for my daughter is a 2001 / 600 mountain max, it works very well on the trails & also in the mountains. U won't be the king of the hill but it can still get u wear u want to go. With this sled I have the slide on seat for a extra person & it can be taken of to ride signal if needed. They cost about $500 but they work great & u can use one sled for 2 things. GOOD LUCK
Barry

mitchdb

Reaction score
HAHA!! That's an AWESOME pic of Kingwood! Thanks! I'm about 50-60 south of there, it didn't stick that well down here but it did get plenty cold, for me at least! Most of yall would probably be in shorts still! HAHA! I think Kingwood got down below 20 F, we never got below 30 F. It's a very exciting event around here, everything closes, school, work, etc..... Mainly because it's very dangerous around here when it gets that cold, we've got a ton of bridges and we don't have the equipment for icy roads! They just make radio announcements stating that if you don't HAVE to go out, don't!

When we were in Gunnison Colorado a couple weeks ago, we never saw temps get as high as 20 F but did see -20 F. Everything would be closed at home, all those people just treated like it was another day! I guess because it was! HAHA!

We go to the most extreme weather places every year for Summer and Winter! Gunnison Colorado is the Coldest place we've ever been. But I haven't been to Canada, Alaska or Minnesota in the Winter! Summer time temps, I live those extremes everyday but we've been all of Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Florida and Death Valley California! Death Valley has the highest recorded Temps but, as they say, it's a DRY HEAT! HAHA!

Sorry to go off subject!

mitchdb

Reaction score
Thanks Barry! I will look into that sled! But I'll have to travel some distance to find one I'm sure! New Mexico is the closest place that I've found that you can ride snow mobiles on a regular basis!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom