Slow down my sled!

rlook

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Backcountry 600. This may seem strange but I want to slow it down, or decrease the minimum speed. Reason for this is for riding with my kids and really tight bush riding. If I recall correctly from last season it runs around 30-40 km/h at a minimum. To slow this down should I gear it down or change clutching engagement or something else? I'm inclined towards the gearing reduction as I have seen it work on a 2011 Renegade, but I dont know for sure that this is the best option. Had anyone done this before and could offer some advice?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Backcountry 600. This may seem strange but I want to slow it down, or decrease the minimum speed. Reason for this is for riding with my kids and really tight bush riding. If I recall correctly from last season it runs around 30-40 km/h at a minimum. To slow this down should I gear it down or change clutching engagement or something else? I'm inclined towards the gearing reduction as I have seen it work on a 2011 Renegade, but I dont know for sure that this is the best option. Had anyone done this before and could offer some advice?
I generally control trail speed with my thumb. �� One of my rides is a z1turbo. 130 mph sled but can still run at kids speed.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really easy solution just take some electrical tape and get a block of plastic and put it between the throttle. Or get some wood and just it down till it’s slow enough. Cheap and the easiest thing to do!!

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Your minimum speed has to be lower than 30/40 km/hr..... I can ride my 800's at 5km/hr

rlook

Reaction score
I guess I should have explained this better. Without disengaging the throttle and clutch the sled runs this fast. Yes, I can blip the throttle on and off and run the sled at 5 km/h, but I dont think its ideal to run the sled like this for an extended period of time. I have had lots of sleds ranging from 250 fan cooled to 700 liquid, but this is the first sled that when keeping the throttle engaged it runs too fast.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to try a clutching change, sounds like if could be engaging at too high of RPM

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look at your drive clutch sounds like you have a weight problem or bushing that are sticking no sled should engage at 30 klm watch your tack belt should engage between 1700-2100

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have explained this better. Without disengaging the throttle and clutch the sled runs this fast. Yes, I can blip the throttle on and off and run the sled at 5 km/h, but I dont think its ideal to run the sled like this for an extended period of time. I have had lots of sleds ranging from 250 fan cooled to 700 liquid, but this is the first sled that when keeping the throttle engaged it runs too fast.[/QUOTE

Sounds like you need a clutch overhaul, if the sled is new to you, maybe previous owner changed the clutch spring and weights to engage at a higher rpm?

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lower clutch engagement. I recommend working with joe at IBackshift he is very knowledgeable on the BRP clutches

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think a primary spring with lower engagement, and gear it down a bit. I always do. makes a different for me when picking through the trees.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going 5km on a sled for long periods will kill it anyway,you will overheat everything.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutching ....had a viper xtx dx that was similar and was horrible to try to ride a slow pace ...changed out the spring and dropped engagement so it was smoother and more friendly with 80 year old passenger on 2 up...

Top Bottom