Sled Deck Pros and Cons

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a deck back a few generations and like it, not the beat thou to work on sleds or drive on dirty rd days, sled was covered in salt and grind, and now with the use of calcium, even worse

Went a little different direction lately...went with a 14’ cube, it’s insulated and will be putting a walk in door, also has a diesel heater tied to main fuel tank and heater also heats inside of truck and block if you wish

Also has a false floor for ice and water trap meant, building hangers, parts cabinets, and dry room, sofa couch, mini fridge, mini barbecue, comes with back up Gen set, and inverter, stereo

Will have 300 gallon diesel storage, 100 aux gallon av gas with fill stn

Truck is a 1999 stretched f550 4wd 7.3l diesel ford crew cab..

Been looking for a while for this all on one type of rig, best of both worlds and the weight on the truck for the forestry rds, and might keep at Buddy’s in revy all locked up threw winter.. see how it works out

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/5e11abea844110434f5c9b6437319c08.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/b51ee47ffbc4ae0b27434a6499092b8b.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/f284dee18e1bcd0e92f1516c537143a3.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/57372421a2c05cc485d0af7440703367.jpg

Looks Slick Fred :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i absolutely despise sled decks LOL. Hard to access your now limited box without spending 5k on slide out drawers. Straps, Superclamps, wet frozen tarps, ramps. I only use mine when absolutely necessary. I would choose a nice small, light 2 place enclosed before a sled deck. The only advantage to a sled deck is easy access to spring riding and parking. That being said ive had a few cross trax decks and they have never given me any trouble.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
I have a truckboss deck and like how it seals the box off. It's also modular so you can add to it. I currently have a standard deck so the sides don't slide out, it's on a half ton so don't want to end up on the bad side of a certain page here haha. I can add the slides if I go to a 1 ton down the road. Maybe 2 of the new 34" Doo's will fit up there.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the crosstrax for an 8ft box.
Its 2 years old.
So far I love it.
The ramp is a two piece. Easier with two guys but doable by yourself.
Biggest con is crawling all the way to the front of the truck box to get whatever rolled up there.
I do find my 25lt Jerry cans touch the ramp when stored. If i hold my tongue right I can put the ramp in or cans in with little interference.

I havent drug my trailer anywhere since I got the deck.
Just get a boat hook / gaff makes it much easier to snag stuff that has shifted

Reactions: RXN

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a deck back a few generations and like it, not the beat thou to work on sleds or drive on dirty rd days, sled was covered in salt and grind, and now with the use of calcium, even worse

Went a little different direction lately...went with a 14’ cube, it’s insulated and will be putting a walk in door, also has a diesel heater tied to main fuel tank and heater also heats inside of truck and block if you wish

Also has a false floor for ice and water trap meant, building hangers, parts cabinets, and dry room, sofa couch, mini fridge, mini barbecue, comes with back up Gen set, and inverter, stereo

Will have 300 gallon diesel storage, 100 aux gallon av gas with fill stn

Truck is a 1999 stretched f550 4wd 7.3l diesel ford crew cab..

Been looking for a while for this all on one type of rig, best of both worlds and the weight on the truck for the forestry rds, and might keep at Buddy’s in revy all locked up threw winter.. see how it works out

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/5e11abea844110434f5c9b6437319c08.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/b51ee47ffbc4ae0b27434a6499092b8b.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/f284dee18e1bcd0e92f1516c537143a3.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/57372421a2c05cc485d0af7440703367.jpg
Best of both worlds.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Princess auto actually sales a extendable hook for under tunnel covers and sled decks, $8.00 and has a holder if you want to mount it .

Reactions: RXN

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hockey stick cheaper
295a60f02273ad311ff92b35d97b89bf.jpg
926178ea0764629487f56d2ad145737d.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys keep recommending all those fancy trailers
and us deck guys will keep riding all the single lane logging road areas where the untouched snow is

its not an uncommon sight to see me unhooking my 32ft enclosed 40 miles into Butt fawk no where spinning it around 180 with a chain LOL

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i absolutely despise sled decks LOL. Hard to access your now limited box without spending 5k on slide out drawers. Straps, Superclamps, wet frozen tarps, ramps. I only use mine when absolutely necessary. I would choose a nice small, light 2 place enclosed before a sled deck. The only advantage to a sled deck is easy access to spring riding and parking. That being said ive had a few cross trax decks and they have never given me any trouble.

Lol the one time I kinda disagree with you to an extent. I’m leaning towards sled decks as being ideal. The parking is the biggest one. You are not trapped in the parking lot after a day of riding because your trailer is restricting your path. You don’t have to look for a half hour at the hotel to accommodate a trailer. Don’t have to worry about backing it in anywhere . All the Gerry cans are locked up under the deck with the super clamps and tarps. Worst thing you gotta do is get half dressed before you leave the hotel. Also not worrying about trailer issues on the way too and from home (flat tires/lights/ brakes). And if the weathers bad that extra 1200- 1400 lbs on the rear tires ain’t a bad thing . Trailers are sweet and yeah not gonna lie it would be nice to have but sled deck to me is more practical if you only have 2 sleds

Last edited:

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 1/2" round aluminum stock from Princess Auto. One end has a 90 degree 4" hook and the other a 90 degree 8" hook. Great for hooking jerry cans, rubbermaid handles, milk crates, etc. For storage it slides on top of the ramp, between the ramp and deck when the ramp is put away. I do like the PA truck box hook idea.... this was just something I had laying around and works better than a hockey stick.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol the one time I kinda disagree with you to an extent. I’m leaning towards sled decks as being ideal. The parking is the biggest one. You are not trapped in the parking lot after a day of riding because your trailer is restricting your path. You don’t have to look for a half hour at the hotel to accommodate a trailer. Don’t have to worry about backing it in anywhere . All the Gerry cans are locked up under the deck with the super clamps and tarps. Worst thing you gotta do is get half dressed before you leave the hotel. Also not worrying about trailer issues on the way too and from home (flat tires/lights/ brakes). And if the weathers bad that extra 1200- 1400 lbs on the rear tires ain’t a bad thing . Trailers are sweet and yeah not gonna lie it would be nice to have but sled deck to me is more practical if you only have 2 sleds

Biggest drawback is dirty slimy sleds, ramps steeper and harder to load in non perfect locations, and running a tarp, ripped to many in the past

A also likes to get prepared in a warm area and have all my gear and tools always there when needed.. it seams things always get forgotten or misplaced otherwise

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still take the fancy trailer to those areas. You know, cause its a LOGGING road. I have never seen a truck with a sled deck hauling logs before. Just sayin.

you guys keep recommending all those fancy trailers
and us deck guys will keep riding all the single lane logging road areas where the untouched snow is

Top Bottom