Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what is haulin pigs................ Alex

Pretty dang close, close enough. That's an old cattle hauler set up. My dad tells me stories how they use to take ours in on the back of a 3 ton, right in town. Talk about top heavy, your load could tip you over if they shifted their weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, same at our farm too.

Load heavy and go every where pops said.

Moved many a mobile homes in Western Canada at night with a Chevy 1/2 ton with blocks of wood between the frame and leaf springs. LOL.

18 to 22.000 lbs on the small mobile homes, 32 too 36.000 lbs on the larger ones.

Full moon is the best time to go since truck head lights point strait up wards. Ha.

I miss the good old days of yes we can.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What about pulling a 4 place enclosed with a VW suv. Is that ok? Saw one of those at Allen Creek yesterday. Just passed him in a blizzard east of Edson. Looked like he was just barely keeping it on the road in that wind. Would probably need 2 sets of Dodge douche mirrors glued together to actually see behind that thing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about pulling a 4 place enclosed with a VW suv. Is that ok? Saw one of those at Allen Creek yesterday. Just passed him in a blizzard east of Edson. Looked like he was just barely keeping it on the road in that wind. Would probably need 2 sets of Dodge douche mirrors glued together to actually see behind that thing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That's fine, you wouldn't believe the mileage those things get!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best part about the VW is it has the emissions by-pass built-in from factory.

wallary

Reaction score
Weighed my 2015 dodge 2500 with a sled deck and two sleds, 200L slip tank full of fuel and the truck was full of fuel, 4 people in the truck and all the gear under the deck. Also towing a 2 place trailer with two sleds on it. The hitch weight was less than 150lbs. Weighed the axles and neither axle was overweight by itself but for total weight of the truck (GVWR-9900lbs) I was overweight by about 1300-1400lbs. Total truck weight was about 11,350lbs total not including the trailer, just whatever hitch weight there was.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
weighed my 2015 dodge 2500 with a sled deck and two sleds, 200l slip tank full of fuel and the truck was full of fuel, 4 people in the truck and all the gear under the deck. Also towing a 2 place trailer with two sleds on it. The hitch weight was less than 150lbs. Weighed the axles and neither axle was overweight by itself but for total weight of the truck (gvwr-9900lbs) i was overweight by about 1300-1400lbs. Total truck weight was about 11,350lbs total not including the trailer, just whatever hitch weight there was.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
must be a diesel? Gassers are lighter and the gvwr is usually quite a bit higher...

wallary

Reaction score
Yup a diesel. The gvwr will probably be basically the same, just the gas engine will weigh much less increasing how much you can haul.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weighed my 2015 dodge 2500 with a sled deck and two sleds, 200L slip tank full of fuel and the truck was full of fuel, 4 people in the truck and all the gear under the deck. Also towing a 2 place trailer with two sleds on it. The hitch weight was less than 150lbs. Weighed the axles and neither axle was overweight by itself but for total weight of the truck (GVWR-9900lbs) I was overweight by about 1300-1400lbs. Total truck weight was about 11,350lbs total not including the trailer, just whatever hitch weight there was.

Ok I don't understand, how can neither axle be over weight, but the combined weight be way over

One axle had to be over by lots

sent while drinking tea's

wallary

Reaction score
The gross axle weight rating for the front is 5750lbs and the rear is 6000lbs. But the gross vehicle weight rating is 9900lbs. The front axle weighed 5200lbs and the rear 6116lbs. So I was over 116lbs on the rear GAWR.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I haul a yamaha in the back of my new f150? I read that real men ride yamahas
Only if you hike up your panties Deaner 👍

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gross axle weight rating for the front is 5750lbs and the rear is 6000lbs. But the gross vehicle weight rating is 9900lbs. The front axle weighed 5200lbs and the rear 6116lbs. So I was over 116lbs on the rear GAWR.

Doesn't sound safe at all...better park it ;)

wallary

Reaction score
Doesn't sound safe at all...better park it ;)

Right, the air bags handled the weight great. But I could see when you wanted to stop in a hurry it would be a issue. It's a lot of extra weight with no extra brakes.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right, the air bags handled the weight great. But I could see when you wanted to stop in a hurry it would be a issue. It's a lot of extra weight with no extra brakes.

Do 1 tons have upgraded brakes compared to a 3/4 ton?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do 1 tons have upgraded brakes compared to a 3/4 ton?

If it is a 1 ton dually maybe. Otherwise no. 3/4 ton to a 1 ton srw only difference is usually an overload leaf or two. Which is why if you add bags to a 3/4 ton IMO your rating is as good as a 1 ton srw.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a 1 ton dually maybe. Otherwise no. 3/4 ton to a 1 ton srw only difference is usually an overload leaf or two. Which is why if you add bags to a 3/4 ton IMO your rating is as good as a 1 ton srw.

That's my thoughts, the only difference is the suspension, they both have the same braking system so that argument is kinda null and void, IMO

Top Bottom