Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would work very well for what? I f you regularly put enough weight in the box of your truck to require such a ridiculous contraption, you would be much better off to buy a truck that was designed to carry that kind of weight.
You’re absolutely right, that’s why I don’t waste my time with a 1/2 ton. All I said was it would actually work well and for those that don’t want to buy the right equipment to begin with.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would actually work very well, same as a booster on a lowbed trailer, and do the same thing as equalizer bars on a hitch throwing weight forward to the steering and back to the trailer axles. It has it’s own onboard compressor for the air bags and it’s a steerable axle, since it hooks into the hitch receiver it’s considered a trailer and falls under GCWR not GVWR.

No, the GVWR of the truck cannot be exceeded in Canada regardless if it’s hooked up to a trailer.

Commercial pickups I’m unsure of, maybe mike many numbers knows.

Last edited:

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, the GVWR of the truck cannot be exceeded in Canada regardless if it’s hooked up to a trailer.

Commercial pickups I’m unsure of, maybe mike many numbers knows.

You are correct you cannot exceed the GVWR and I never said it did. The unit is considered a trailer so it falls under GCWR but it takes weight off the back of the truck and puts it back on the steering. I have no doubt Mike knows and I’m pretty sure my 30 years of heavy haul experience using similar equipment (booster on a lowbed) makes me fairly knowledgeable as well…just sayin.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your saying adding axels doesn't increase gvw?

Better clarify that with DOT
You are correct you cannot exceed the GVWR and I never said it did. The unit is considered a trailer so it falls under GCWR but it takes weight off the back of the truck and puts it back on the steering. I have no doubt Mike knows and I’m pretty sure my 30 years of heavy haul experience using similar equipment (booster on a lowbed) makes me fairly knowledgeable as well…just sayin.
If you add a jeep it's considered a trailer so how is this not the same?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’ve Had my fair share of time of behind the wheel as well, I didn’t know you drove BTW.
That is my point, and the reason why I asked about commercial Pickup trucks, I’ve seen some pretty high GVWR on the door of a SWR f350. So does commercial get a free pass In Alberta?

I will give and example of the trucks ratings, the actual truck without a trailer, and with. How or why does GCWR matter if the truck is overweight. Notice how the weight on the front axle barely changed, this is a fifth wheel trailer BTW.

So question, how would that booster looking contraption help these numbers? Or GCWR when a truck is overweight. Am I missing something???

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So no it won't increase the vehicle gvw but would it not add to the overall gvw of the truck and trailer configuration?

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll try and clarify this…Mike correct me if I’m wrong.
The GVWR that you see on the door sticker of your pickup ONLY includes the combined weight of the 2 axles of the truck not any kind of trailer weight. Do not confuse this with GVW weights that you see on the side of semi’s. The same tractor unit can be licensed for various weights depending on how much you want to pay for and how many axles you will be pulling. For example a GVW of 39500 is a 5 axle unit, 46500 is 6 axles, 63500 is a super B and so on. If you look on the door sticker of that Kenworth/Peterbilt it does not say those weights, it lists the manufacturers maximum weight recommendation for the truck axles only not including the trailers, same as on a pickup. So because this ridiculous 1/2 ton booster hooks into the trailer hitch it is considered a trailer, and has its own licence plate, so it’s not included in the truck GVWR. No different than pulling a single axle sled trailer.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve Had my fair share of time of behind the wheel as well, I didn’t know you drove BTW.
That is my point, and the reason why I asked about commercial Pickup trucks, I’ve seen some pretty high GVWR on the door of a SWR f350. So does commercial get a free pass In Alberta?

I will give and example of the trucks ratings, the actual truck without a trailer, and with. How or why does GCWR matter if the truck is overweight. Notice how the weight on the front axle barely changed, this is a fifth wheel trailer BTW.

So question, how would that booster looking contraption help these numbers? Or GCWR when a truck is overweight. Am I missing something???

View attachment 243541
View attachment 243542
View attachment 243543
Based on your door sticker none of those scale tickets shows you overweight because the trailer weight is not part of the door sticker GVW and your axle weights are also under the rating on the door. On your truck, and truck axles only, you can weigh a total combined weight of 10000 lbs but limited to no more than 5200 lbs on the steering and 6200 lbs on the rear. Now obviously you can’t max out on axle weights or that puts your GVW at 11400 which is 1400 lbs overweight.

Sorry I have to correct myself, in the scale ticket with the trailer yes you are overweight on the rear axle of the truck and the GVW of 10000 lbs on the truck axles only.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Say it isn’t so…could this be the end to one of the greatest threads ever??

View attachment 243515View attachment 243516
All the back and forth about weights aside, and this is a cool idea for a niche market but.....from what I see here, you'd still have to disconnect it to unload the deck for sledding. Here's a thought though - what if you put a deck on the weight equalizer thing and parked the sleds on that?

Cmon. if you're gonna haul a "trailer / spare axle" to avoid wear and tear on your truck and be legal, why not just tow a trailer with your sleds on it?

Top Bottom