Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bet that ball isn't 1and 5/16 and no safety chains can you imagine that coming at you on the highway the whole unit should be impounded and the driver charged 5000.00

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is just so wrong with the hitch system alone, but if this fails which there is good probability that it could there are NO safety chains hooked up either, so a classic case of a trailer going through traffic with no control. Wasn't there just a lawsuit in Edmonton for a trailer that came off and hit a car and killed the occupant, this was just in the courts and is on the news.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Other than safety chains, what's illegal about that?
bet that ball isn't 1and 5/16 and no safety chains can you imagine that coming at you on the highway the whole unit should be impounded and the driver charged 5000.00

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike you trying for the Darwin Award won’t explain what’s wrong have the idiot take the unit to the nearest weight scale and get a list

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm being serious. What's illegal? That's definitely not the way that trailer was designed to be used, but what's illegal about it?
Mike you trying for the Darwin Award won’t explain what’s wrong have the idiot take the unit to the nearest weight scale and get a list

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first frost heave your going to hit driving to Grand Prairie it’s going to bend that light 1/2 steel flat iron and then the second and third heave till it rips off or bend down and rub off road.. this is how people die...

God for bid you would have to stop quickly, the 7000lb on truck and 6000lb trailer coming to a cab near you

Last edited:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm being serious. What's illegal? That's definitely not the way that trailer was designed to be used, but what's illegal about it?

I’m thinking hitch weight likely exceeds the 5 or 6 hundred pound limit lol

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm still waiting papajake. Other than safety chains and breakaway, what is illegal?
I’m thinking hitch weight likely exceeds the 5 or 6 hundred pound limit lol
Class 5 hitches go up to 2000lb tongue weight

Not to mention the GTW on the ball and draw bar are likely <8k lbs
That's still just a maybe.

'if you have to ask, you'll never know' J.K.Rowling

I guess I'll never know.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ball mount might only be rated for use in the 'drop' orientation, not the 'rise' orientation like shown in the photo. Though if it's just a piece of steel with no markings on it, there might be no written rule that applies to it for personal use.

Edit: In SK, driver would need a special heavy trailer endorsement on their license because that load is over 10k lbs.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting papajake. Other than safety chains and breakaway, what is illegal?Class 5 hitches go up to 2000lb tongue weight

I guess I'll never know.
I can say for certain that style of drawbar is definitely not rated for either that tongue weight or the gross trailer weight. That style with an 8" drop tops out at 12k gross and 1200lbs tongue. My money would be on 8k gross and 800lbs though.

Additionally he does not have the break away brake system connected which is required, as well as safety chains.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I already said "other than safety chains and breakaway". And even at 12k and 1200 he would probably be close. I'm not trying to start chit, just wondering why, other than looking silly, everyone is saying how illegal this is. It looks a heck of a lot safer than a lot of stuff I see on the road daily.
I can say for certain that style of drawbar is definitely not rated for either that tongue weight or the gross trailer weight. That style with an 8" drop tops out at 12k gross and 1200lbs tongue. My money would be on 8k gross and 800lbs though.

Additionally he does not have the break away brake system connected which is required, as well as safety chains.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting papajake. Other than safety chains and breakaway, what is illegal?Class 5 hitches go up to 2000lb tongue weight

I guess I'll never know.

The gooseneck design is to support the weight over the tow vehicle rear axle. Likely the trailer is loaded so tail heavy because the towing truck was sagged out with that much weight hanging that far back behind the tongue. So now the overall weight distribution is off for that design. Controlling that gooseneck in a skid would be a disaster since its entire weight is now "pushing" the truck from behind the rear axle. Also, as previously noted, whatever receiver material they used for the ball mount should probably be much thicker, considering that's about the same thickness as a standard Curt receiver you use for 5000 lb trailers. That truck and trailer are pushing 15,000.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm not arguing any of that. Is any of what you said a ticketable offense? I'm also assuming that Cyle isn't the one in the picture and the trailer has brakes.
The gooseneck design is to support the weight over the tow vehicle rear axle. Likely the trailer is loaded so tail heavy because the towing truck was sagged out with that much weight hanging that far back behind the tongue. So now the overall weight distribution is off for that design. Controlling that gooseneck in a skid would be a disaster since its entire weight is now "pushing" the truck from behind the rear axle. Also, as previously noted, whatever receiver material they used for the ball mount should probably be much thicker, considering that's about the same thickness as a standard Curt receiver you use for 5000 lb trailers. That truck and trailer are pushing 15,000.

Top Bottom