Skidoo Turbo Issue with bogging at times Deep Snow

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Jeff, a BRP mechanic from Riderz, last night for a while. This can be the rave valves, sticky cable too them, servo motor, wiring harness issue, or about 500 other things. It’s something that doesnt throw codes. Very tough to diagnose.

im going to go with the 500 other things because your machine does this under full throttle the raves are already fully open.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Rave valves would generally be acting up all the time, not just under heavy snow conditions. Suspect electrical problem of some type, as it runs good otherwise...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rave valves would generally be acting up all the time, not just under heavy snow conditions. Suspect electrical problem of some type, as it runs good otherwise...

the rave valves are now controlled by an electronic actuator so they can still be problematic but like you said don't think that's the issue here, They also usually throw a code as it reads the position of them and compares to other parameters. if they aren't opening properly it generally triggers a code.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've been down that road before, it's not easy to get a vehicle taken back, most people just trade the vehicle and take the loss because at the end of the day that's way easier.

It is easy, stick to your guns, tell it like it is and when the pipe up for a rebuttals you shut them up and tell them “ I’m talking right now, you are not talking now” they take it back 100% of the time (with dodge Chrysler anyway) did that on a truck before and my Dad has had a few lemon trucks or cars over the years and does the same thing, he was bound to have a few when you have owned over a 1000 vehicles in your lifetime lol, he’s got a problem . People are pushovers so the dealers push back and win. Not the case when you don’t let them push

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is easy, stick to your guns, tell it like it is and when the pipe up for a rebuttals you shut them up and tell them “ I’m talking right now, you are not talking now” they take it back 100% of the time (with dodge Chrysler anyway) did that on a truck before and my Dad has had a few lemon trucks or cars over the years and does the same thing, he was bound to have a few when you have owned over a 1000 vehicles in your lifetime lol, he’s got a problem . People are pushovers so the dealers push back and win. Not the case when you don’t let them push

However in this situation if they have nothing to give back in replacement you lose a whole season which sucks big time, hopefully you figure it out, gremlins like this are terrible to deal with that’s for sure

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a sled that would blow a belt right next to where I blew the last one. 10 day trip would be seven belts. In and out of Martin so often I got to know everybody’s wife’s names. Do you know what they fixed. Nothing. I sold the piece of ch!t and got 2000 km a belt on my next skidoo. I also had a doo xm that wouldn’t hold RPM on long wide-open throttle sessions. During a climb it would pull down to 7000 RPM at turn out. Nobody else had that problem. Nobody could fix it. It ruined the most of a season of riding for me. I sold it in March and bought a Polaris to finish up my riding season. The only fix was to sell it. I no longer buy my sleds in Alberta as a dealers here don’t help. Especially Martins

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with you Ron. In 2018 I snowchecked 2 Axys sleds for my boys. That first year was nothing but in and out of the shop and changing more spark plugs than I care to remember. Tears on the hill the whole bit. I finally started raising hell with customer service and the local rep. Finally got someone’s attention and got help. Also had to go to another dealer to have a different group of techs take their turn diagnosing. After the first trip to the new dealer everything was fixed. Warranty looked after thousands of dollars of parts and labor. This was not pleasant for almost 2 seasons but finally the rep, the new dealer and the warranty folks were working together. If you can’t get this fixed to your satisfaction don’t hesitate to go to another dealer or in the end switch brands. It isn’t like we are spending $5000 for these sleds. The dealer with the best sales and service backed by the manufacturer are getting my money especially at $20000+ per pop. And I will throw it out here since I think they deserve it - the dealer was Cycle Works West that went to bat for me. I will buy every new sled from them. Good luck. One way or another this will end.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with you Ron. In 2018 I snowchecked 2 Axys sleds for my boys. That first year was nothing but in and out of the shop and changing more spark plugs than I care to remember. Tears on the hill the whole bit. I finally started raising hell with customer service and the local rep. Finally got someone’s attention and got help. Also had to go to another dealer to have a different group of techs take their turn diagnosing. After the first trip to the new dealer everything was fixed. Warranty looked after thousands of dollars of parts and labor. This was not pleasant for almost 2 seasons but finally the rep, the new dealer and the warranty folks were working together. If you can’t get this fixed to your satisfaction don’t hesitate to go to another dealer or in the end switch brands. It isn’t like we are spending $5000 for these sleds. The dealer with the best sales and service backed by the manufacturer are getting my money especially at $20000+ per pop. And I will throw it out here since I think they deserve it - the dealer was Cycle Works West that went to bat for me. I will buy every new sled from them. Good luck. One way or another this will end.
I don’t like bashing dealers. Cycle Works West rocks and will always help you. I’m actually shocked Martins has been able to grow over the years. They are about as useful as Riverside Honda. But I love buying all my gear from them. Accessories and Klim at Martin’s is the best lol

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t like bashing dealers. Cycle Works West rocks and will always help you. I’m actually shocked Martins has been able to grow over the years. They are about as useful as Riverside Honda. But I love buying all my gear from them. Accessories and Klim at Martin’s is the best lol

Me too lol, martins always has lots of stock for klim gear, get it all from them haha, will not step foot in riverside ever again. Dons Speed Parts took great care of me for the last 10 years but he’s ready to retire and kinda losing interest, after almost 40 years he deserves it

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But that would have a problem all the time... not intermittantly, and only when in deep snow
Nope it clicks in and out of place based on pressure and temp. Was very intermittent.

Redline Turbos found it on a T3 of a buddy's TSS kit. We were ready to part it out.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me too lol, martins always has lots of stock for klim gear, get it all from them haha, will not step foot in riverside ever again. Dons Speed Parts took great care of me for the last 10 years but he’s ready to retire and kinda losing interest, after almost 40 years he deserves it
Mr Kinghorn is the man. Fun to sled with too

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This issue a manufacturer not being able to repair or diagnose a serious operational problem is getting very to be very common . The training and skills have not been invested in enough by the manufacturers, and to may secrets being kept from the dealerships . Canada has no lemon laws , we have had issues with a diesel pickup a few years ago ,ended up trading it off . Recently a green tractor ,2014, off warranty, dealer could not fix the issue and told us to take it home . It was a random electrical issue . the machine has been replaced. . can’t use it if it won’t move .

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It needs a snorkel - and data logging capability- that way you can see - afr #'s - tps % - barometric - intake air temp - voltage - fuel pressure - etc etc - makes it very simple to diagnose the problem - then there's no chasing a dragon - just my opinion - but the more info you have the better on any turbo machine - even if it is pushing 8lbs less than awesome - I'm hoping this winter I can get out with ppl with the new doo turbs and the polaris turbs - gonna need a lighter sled soon - gettin older takes longer to heal

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
With mine I can take it out and it won’t do it for the entire 2 days or will do it once or even twice on those days. It’s basically chasing a dragon as said above. There are so many electronics on this sled it will be tough to diagnose. If it comes down to installing a data logger this will be done. I’m not giving up until this issue is Identified, figured out and fixed. I am also not going to run a second season with this issue, kind of takes all the excitement out of the trips.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
With mine I can take it out and it won’t do it for the entire 2 days or will do it once or even twice on those days. It’s basically chasing a dragon as said above. There are so many electronics on this sled it will be tough to diagnose. If it comes down to installing a data logger this will be done. I’m not giving up until this issue is Identified, figured out and fixed. I am also not going to run a second season with this issue, kind of takes all the excitement out of the trips.
Maybe sledderglen can loan you one of the skandic swt from his fleet.

Brentk

Reaction score
I kinda had the same issues last year and I think it has to do with clutching. The sled would be over reving a bit and i think would load up somehow (in the cylinder or pipe?) and then i would go down into a turn when the track loads up and Wham! big fire ball backfire or big bog. Now that I installed new clutch kit she runs perfect. I know this sounds strange, but it worked for me. I only had this problem on certain days in certain elevations,,maybe 5 days of the 15 i rode last year.

Top Bottom