Skidoo Turbo Issue with bogging at times Deep Snow

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I've been having sporadic issues with my 2021 Skidoo Turbo 850 since the first day I took it out at Belle in November of 2020. I had it back to the dealership almost after every second trip last year, Martins who has been great and have been changing many parts. They changed one set of injectors on my last ride last season and I thought this was solved but on Saturday in the deeper snow at Chappell It did this a few times. What happens is in deep snow when the hood gets covered the sled will starve for air and start loosing power and gargling, then you manipulate the throttle a bit and it comes back then falls on its face again, sometimes totally stalling out, then you go over the bars or your stuck good. I know we have changed the airbox with that spring system that lets air in from under the hood, fuel pump (fuel pressure was low), a few more parts. I'm going to martins to discuss today and will be calling BRP Customer Service as I'm not going through another year with this issue. This is very sporadic and does not do this all the time, but when it seems to is when your in that nice sweet spot and wham. Last year I was sledding with Maxwell a fair ways in at Allen, the group dropped into a real sweet area, I had to take several runs to get out as each time I turned around in deep snow this would happen. It seems that this happens more when turning so sled is on an angle. Anyone else had these issues?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
what about fuel pickup issue Ron, does it do it at all different levels of fuel in your tank?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which condition does this happen??

Deep snow with ch!t everywhere?
Just deep snow?
Or just random times when riding?

These conditions are all different

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deep heavy snow I had to ride one handed many times on my turbo. If my hood disappeared on warm days I would just wipe it with my hand before the bog would happen

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which condition does this happen??

Deep snow with ch!t everywhere?
Just deep snow?
Or just random times when riding?

These conditions are all different

It seems to be when the snow is heavy and deep it acts up. I’ve rode with Ron when this has happened. The sled seems to get choked out and hesitates, bogs and looses power. Sometime is pops and backfires.
The dealer has replaced a lot of parts on it and it still acts up.
I’ve never heard of a turbo doo acting up this badly.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems to be when the snow is heavy and deep it acts up. I’ve rode with Ron when this has happened. The sled seems to get choked out and hesitates, bogs and looses power. Sometime is pops and backfires.
The dealer has replaced a lot of parts on it and it still acts up.
I’ve never heard of a turbo doo acting up this badly.
If I were to ever buy something brand new from a store, truck, snowmobile, UTV, I'd take Ron with me, have him choose one, and then take absolutely any other one on the lot.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like i said, call BRP customer service and lay it to them, light a fire under them and that will hopefully give the dealer some more power to sort this thing out.

the best thing you can do is to get some video. because at this point your taking a sled to a dealer and the sled checks out in all aspects, there's no way to simulate the mountains in Edmonton unfortunately.

you can submarine those snowmobiles and they will run just fine. Something else its going on.

i am not very impressed with how BRP is handling issues on these new turbos. at 25k they should be a little more interested in having all of their machines running properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That didn't sound right, Fixed a few things.

Here is a few things that were fixed:
- Changed 2 direct Injectors
- Changed Fuel Pump
- Changed Air duct with popup valve

Running 91 Octane Petro Can / Esso / Shell fuel

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Deep heavy snow I had to ride one handed many times on my turbo. If my hood disappeared on warm days I would just wipe it with my hand before the bog would happen
So we spend 24K on a sled we have to ride with one hand to wipe the snow off.:hmm: I never had these issues with my 15 K sled ever or even my 9.5K sled. They have a special valve for this purpose.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we spend 24K on a sled we have to ride with one hand to wipe the snow off. I never had these issues with my 15 K sled ever or even my 9.5K sled. They have a special valve for this purpose.
Yeah. deep heavy days it happens. Even on my alpha I had Motor work done and flow rites all over the place. That warm sticky snow seems to affect the air. If you chop the throttle lots on the turbo rather than leave it to the bar you can sometimes bump the snow off. On Dry snow days I had No problems.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have them check the fuel pickup for one thing. Does it do it more when tank is less than half a tank? Do you have an aftermarket can on it? Carving to the right in wet heavy snow may be getting the exhaust plugged off and stopping exhaust flow enough to make it bog or go rich. If it’s stock can and no one else is having that problem then that could be ruled out. If even try a different can. Maybe something had come loose in side and plugging it off some?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
That didn't sound right, Fixed a few things.

Here is a few things that were fixed:
- Changed 2 direct Injectors
- Changed Fuel Pump
- Changed Air duct with popup valve

Running 91 Octane Petro Can / Esso / Shell fuel
Way to clean up the thread..... Friggin azzhats all over the place in here.....

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I would have them check the fuel pickup for one thing. Does it do it more when tank is less than half a tank? Do you have an aftermarket can on it? Carving to the right in wet heavy snow may be getting the exhaust plugged off and stopping exhaust flow enough to make it bog or go rich. If it’s stock can and no one else is having that problem then that could be ruled out. If even try a different can. Maybe something had come loose in side and plugging it off some?
So mine in a group is the only one doing this same snow, same time riding on that day. I would presume we both started in the parking lot with full tanks of fuel. This can happen as soon as I hit the alpine to the end of the days. My sleds all stock, because if I change something BRP can deny my warrantee. We are going to upgrade the charge tube as well.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Maybe trying buying a Polaris. See if the issue goes away.... Sorry just had to post it.
Hmm, no, I just seen one at Chappell this last weekend with a pooched motor, 2022 with under 30 km on it, crank went.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Snopro mentioned, make sure exhaust outlet is clear.. I’m sure you checked but any time I’ve had issues with my turbo Polaris and bogging, the snow deflector ahead of the exhaust outlet would be bent or gone.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As Snopro mentioned, make sure exhaust outlet is clear.. I’m sure you checked but any time I’ve had issues with my turbo Polaris and bogging, the snow deflector ahead of the exhaust outlet would be bent or gone.
I have this issue often last season, and I can be with a group of 4 of the same sleds so why wouldn't this happen to all the others at the same time? I tried everything from going to better fuel even. Just before last ride they changed some injectors, I went out and never appeared to have the issue in some pretty good snow. Thought it was fixed and NOPE, still at its same thing. Bringing into Martins tomorrow, there going to have a peek again, and inspect the reeds for any damage from all the recent backfiring.

Top Bottom