Skidoo Turbo Issue with bogging at times Deep Snow

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly what all 3 Ski-doos of my buddy's only in all cases it was the fuel pump plugged with black crap and in the end the fuel source was blamed. So you had the fuel pump changed but what if the magneto was not always putting out enough juice to spin that fuel pump up fast enough? I have heard of them with bad mags.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. It sounds like its sensor related, for whatever reason the ECU believes the engine is getting more air than it actually is when buried in snow and is causing the mixture to go extremely rich.

I'd also check/replace the intake air temp/manifold pressure sensor as well, as it is also a likely cause of this issue and relatively cheap.

As far as I'm aware these turbos don't run a mass airflow sensor, but the symptoms sound exactly like when a hot wire MAF gets wet, the indicated airflow reading goes sky high and the ECU dumps tons of fuel to prevent a lean burn down.
If the temp sensor on exhaust fails and thinks it is cold it will over fuel. I almost had a sled burn down when the sensor on the suitcase fell out and was puking raw fuel into it then catch on fire.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Mountain sledder garage did a test to prove these machines can be completely submerged and still not miss a beat!

I may try to tape mine off and see if they work. That part was supposedly changed already, but never thought of putting tape on the vents.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I agree with this. It sounds like its sensor related, for whatever reason the ECU believes the engine is getting more air than it actually is when buried in snow and is causing the mixture to go extremely rich.

I'd also check/replace the intake air temp/manifold pressure sensor as well, as it is also a likely cause of this issue and relatively cheap.

As far as I'm aware these turbos don't run a mass airflow sensor, but the symptoms sound exactly like when a hot wire MAF gets wet, the indicated airflow reading goes sky high and the ECU dumps tons of fuel to prevent a lean burn down.
All these things can be done. BRP wont pay for them, I have to and do it myself. BRP tells the dealer to try this, they try, then I go out and it still does it, then next. Starting to sound like a broken record. No codes ever show up, so GoPro time I guess.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crank seal is sucking wind under load and ecu over comps it out…..
better park it next to that new Polaris u saw In chaple braple,
It can dooo no more!!!!!!!
Or just stay outa that deeep snow….lol

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these things can be done. BRP wont pay for them, I have to and do it myself. BRP tells the dealer to try this, they try, then I go out and it still does it, then next. Starting to sound like a broken record. No codes ever show up, so GoPro time I guess.
say what? its under warranty still. They should be covering cost associated with a defect right!?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I was on the Mountain Test Committee with the XP project there was a dealer that dropped off a problem child Rev at the Test Center for the BRP engineers to work on and try and figure out what was wrong with it and ride it so they could see the problem as the dealer had exhausted all avenues for the customer at the dealership level and the BRP tech line. Maybe you should drop it off at Kusters as those engineer guys are out there all the time working on new product? Not sure but might be worth asking Martins if thats a possibility?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Back when I was on the Mountain Test Committee with the XP project there was a dealer that dropped off a problem child Rev at the Test Center for the BRP engineers to work on and try and figure out what was wrong with it and ride it so they could see the problem as the dealer had exhausted all avenues for the customer at the dealership level and the BRP tech line. Maybe you should drop it off at Kusters as those engineer guys are out there all the time working on new product? Not sure but might be worth asking Martins if thats a possibility?
So do they give me something to replace it so I can ride? In the season I try to ride every second weekend. Mine cant be the only one with this issue either. I'm just loading it up shortly and taking it in. Most times I take it in its a waste of time, no codes so not much they can do. Martins has been good about this, I just think that BRP should bit the bullet and replace a pile of parts rather than one at a time, this could take 3 years to get working and a lot of trips to the dealer.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happens on my sled too. I have the race hood though. The snow builds up right on top where the intake vents are. It then bogs really badly until the snow moves or I push it off. Happens in the steep and deep and the thicker stuff. I’d like to add a couple small vents on the sides of the hood to help lessen this but this sounds like the same issue, considering the hoods are almost identical. But yes this should be brought up with BRP so they can change the design

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on the old revs if the air line going to the ECM is plugged it will cause it to bog and excess fuel and oil to be burnt. Maybe the same issue???

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do they give me something to replace it so I can ride? In the season I try to ride every second weekend. Mine cant be the only one with this issue either. I'm just loading it up shortly and taking it in. Most times I take it in its a waste of time, no codes so not much they can do. Martins has been good about this, I just think that BRP should bit the bullet and replace a pile of parts rather than one at a time, this could take 3 years to get working and a lot of trips to the dealer.

there actually isnt many at all. Yours and the one in my crew seem to be the problem Childs of the 2021 sled run at least from this area.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guy who owns a large platform actually gets a lemon... crazy right?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately that's the case, ride it as is, or spend your own time and money to get it fixed.

BRP (and many manufacturers) treat these as business decisions, and its cheaper for them to loose you as a customer then to spend thousands performing diagnostics on your machine to fix an issue they can't replicate on the shop floor.

For the average guy this would be the end of the story. Your situation is different and you have the means to ensure your sled gets fixed, you just have to decide how high you want to fly this up the flag pole...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the unfortunate thing about having this fantastic factory turbo technology available to us is that in order to make sure these machines aren't tampered with to make more power the service procedures have also changed. I am speaking specifically to all of the paint marks that are on the turbo machines. Gone are the days of pulling parts from a floor model to test and try until you get it sorted out, this is no longer puling carbs off a machine and putting them on another. If the paint mark is broken all of these procedures have to now be carefully documented at the dealer and follow in BRP order of operations or these machines could easily be put out of warranty. Its a catch 22 as its in place to protect our 3 year warranty's on factory turbos but when these tricky situations arise it certainly takes a lot longer to diagnose and resolve.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour picked up
His turbo freeride and made it 6km and motor grenaded takin it back to the shop tommoro now thats a piss off lol
that well and truly sucks. i wonder if it was related to the oil pump/ecu compensation number update?
when i picked up my turbo freeride the update wasn't done and i had to learn about it on the forums and then educate them.
my sled had the ecu set to 8 which pumps the least amount of oil.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the unfortunate thing about having this fantastic factory turbo technology available to us is that in order to make sure these machines aren't tampered with to make more power the service procedures have also changed. I am speaking specifically to all of the paint marks that are on the turbo machines. Gone are the days of pulling parts from a floor model to test and try until you get it sorted out, this is no longer puling carbs off a machine and putting them on another. If the paint mark is broken all of these procedures have to now be carefully documented at the dealer and follow in BRP order of operations or these machines could easily be put out of warranty. Its a catch 22 as its in place to protect our 3 year warranty's on factory turbos but when these tricky situations arise it certainly takes a lot longer to diagnose and resolve.
You’ve got to be kidding….?!

So BRP doesn’t trust its own dealer (and a large one like Martin’s) to break paint on certain items to fix a problem? Tells me to avoid BRP like the plague.

$20-25k unit that doesn’t run correctly for 2 years. Doesn’t matter what manufacturer it is…they should be doing more. How much time and money has Ron spent on mountian trips only to know that when in the steep and deep, the sled is probably not going to run properly. You’d think that someone at Martin’s would be getting tired of seeing this unit continually on the doorstep. Hey Snopro -what’s the purpose of the “engineering team” at Kuster’s? One would think that Martin’s would deliver it there for them to look at??

Top Bottom