Skid plates

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, what’s everyone’s thoughts on after market skid plates for atv’s ? I never bothered with them before but out west this weekend I hit a rock with my brute force and lucky my plow mount was still on and took the majority of the impact . Got me thinking mabey a guy should have a set of skid plates on there because it’s all pretty exposed underneath there and the factory plastic ones look like they wouldn’t do a whole lot.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, what’s everyone’s thoughts on after market skid plates for atv’s ? I never bothered with them before but out west this weekend I hit a rock with my brute force and lucky my plow mount was still on and took the majority of the impact . Got me thinking mabey a guy should have a set of skid plates on there because it’s all pretty exposed underneath there and the factory plastic ones look like they wouldn’t do a whole lot.
It’s a Must have. IMO. Also keep weight in mind. Some skid kits are heavier than required. I don’t want to add 40 pounds 50 pounds to the machine

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would have a drive line under my sxs if I didn't have skid plates have had large rocks lift the rear wheels off the ground

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what happened to me , got high centered on a rock . The wife’s quad could barely pull me off . Any suggestions on which brand or where to get them ? Not looking to break the bank . Thanks

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure a need. We tried a few different styles in our group and ended up coming to the conclusion that the best option is the 1/2" (or thicker) UHMW. Weight to coverage it is a really good option. The aluminum ones are nice on the protection side, but really like to "Stick" to rocks and stop the machines dead in their tracks.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what happened to me , got high centered on a rock . The wife’s quad could barely pull me off . Any suggestions on which brand or where to get them ? Not looking to break the bank . Thanks
You definitely want skid plates….iron Baltic and ricochet are two good aftermarket makers that have a good selection. OEM is another option and they’re not always more money. Check around. specialty tire in calgary can get a bunch of different manufacturers stuff and I’m sure there’s places in Edmonton that can as well. And don’t get too hung up on the idea that aluminum skid plates “stick” to rocks….I’ve got aluminum on my outlander since new and have never “ stuck” to anything. The HMW plastic ones are more “ slippery “ on bone dry stuff, but add a little mud or water and there’s little difference. if you really whack something, you can dent aluminum, but likely the same impact would crack or bust a hole in the plastic ones….

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good information guys thanks ! I looked at the oem Kawasaki ones and they were priced reasonably but try leave the whole rear driveshaft wide open. I’ll have a look at the other brands you mentioned. Thanks

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Ricochet on my Grizzly full coverage if you buy the whole kit. I ordered them directly from them on line work awesome we ride in lots of rocky places would not ride without them the stock plastic ones were a joke changed em out first thing.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I haven’t made up my mind yet lol which type to go with

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used the stock ones for a pattern, to cut 1/2" puck board, works very well and easy to cut with a roto zip or something similar, sheet cost about 175.00 (4X8)

Top Bottom