Ski stance

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any body run there skis at the 39" setting or is to narrow for the trails?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run mine whatever it is wen it came stock,,,tell ya the truth never checked,,,,but if u plan on ridin lots of trails id put the stance to the widest setting cause these sleds have lots of inside ski lift

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only trails i usually ride are the ones to the hills. i was just wondering if it would make it easier to laydown or if it would suffer to much on the trail.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had mine at the narrowest setting (39" I guess?) since new until last weekend. I didn't really know any better, I just thought these cats steered like crap until two weekends ago when I rode a buddies HCR and it handled sooooo much better. And really, it wasn't that hard to pull over on its side.

In the narrow setting, it would push through corners and I'd even say it had heavier steering - kind of like super aggressive skis except it also didn't turn. I might try the widest setup next winter, but honestly my theory (based on years of geometry and engineering lego blocks back in elementary school) is that these things were originally designed to have the carbide under the spindle, not too either side, so I think I'm going to leave it right there.

Put it this way, you might notice a difference in the powder, but you will notice it on the trail, and on any kind of spring conditions or wind swept hardpack that exists on top of the mountain.

Another thought: Last winter I was considering getting powder pros so the thing would actually turn, but when I read that they took a bit more effort to turn the bars I thought "more than this?" That'd be redonkulous. But, now that I made this stupid 1" change though, the steering is noticeably lighter and I can see how powder pros would help it bite a bit more.

Just my opinion and it's based on just one ride so far. I'm sure someone will scoff that it's not that big of deal and narrowed up is the cat's meow, etc, etc. Who knows though, maybe certain combinations of spring pressures, limiter straps and so forth can make it work - mine was obviously set up perfect for the 40". :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running my M7 that way for 2 years. Yup, it's twitchy on the trail but I sure like it out in the deep stuff. Try it. It's not that hard to change back if you don't like it!

Did NOT like it on my M1000! Still better in the deep but just a little too twitchy getting there!:d

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run mine on 39" and i like it. I don't think there is a lot of difference in deep powder, but you will notice it more in under 2' of powder... it will be much easier to pull over. Another easy mod you can do to make it come over easier is take out the sway bar. If you want the front end lighter you might also consider lengthing the limiter straps.

On the trails with the narrower ski stance it will lift the inside ski faster around the corners, and if you remove the sway bar that will also add to that issue. But in my opinion it is well worth the issues, you just have to manhandle it a bit more.

Good luck with that.

Top Bottom