SJ swap

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has swapped out their 200 optimax for a real pump/motor combo and if so what direction did you go?

Not on my plate, just spit balling

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I priced it out this spring. And will be doing sooner than later. I price of a 5.3DI, Kodiak three stage pump, stomp grate , steering and gauges, add price for new uhmw on the boat and $1000 for aluminum. I was around the $35g mark. Then labour on top of that. But I’d do all the work myself so didn’t put a dollar figure on that.
Now you can go cheaper with motor bye building one and find heat exchangers and stuff. But for me the warranty and easy of buying a new marine motor is worth the extra cash.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I priced it out this spring. And will be doing sooner than later. I price of a 5.3DI, Kodiak three stage pump, stomp grate , steering and gauges, add price for new uhmw on the boat and $1000 for aluminum. I was around the $35g mark. Then labour on top of that. But I’d do all the work myself so did put a dollar figure on that.
Now you can go cheaper with motor bye building one and find heat exchangers and stuff. But for me the warranty and easy of buying a new marine motor is worth the extra cash.
Given the weight and structure did you consider the ecoboost?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Given the weight and structure did you consider the ecoboost?

From what I hear with the eco boost the sport jet is better reliability. Lots of issues for the amount of them out there. Eco boost you need premium fuel where the 5.3 you don’t. I just am not a fan of that eco boost. Pretty hard to beat the ls style motors. I really wanted to go with the 4.3DI. Very similar hp and torque to the 350 but lighter and smaller so interior room wouldn’t be effected to much, but it’s only $1000 less than the 5.3DI.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Eco and 5.3 DI are almost the same price, and you get a lot more motor with the 5.3 and not that much more weight.

Yah that eco is 540 pounds and 5.3 is 620 I think or 640. Pretty heavy 4 cylinder.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are ~200lbs lighter, firefish weighed an eco including coupler was 500lbs, kem lists the 5.3di at 707lbs no coupler. if want a light weight ls motor need to build one with a mixer no exchanger, can also make a fairly light carb 350 same route.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to bolt a different powerhead to the SJ pump? Mercury has some pretty cool offerings for 4 stroke outboards if you could get it to bolt up.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to mount a boosted apex engine in one of these. Seems like an opportunity to have a super cheap lightweight powerplant if it's possible. Could probably run pretty high boost on pump fuel with an efficient water to air intercooler setup

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to mount a boosted apex engine in one of these. Seems like an opportunity to have a super cheap lightweight powerplant if it's possible. Could probably run pretty high boost on pump fuel with an efficient water to air intercooler setup
Is it not the same motor that's in their high end see-doo or what ever yamaha makes? It's the same motor in their bikes

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Spin to fast. They make a MR-1 (Marine R-1) so it’s the same motor but has a step down on the crank. Riva made a turbo kit for them years ago. But the pumps are junk on them! Pretty much all the pwc jet ski stuff the pump are weak and will not handle gravel. I rebuild a PPI pump from a rotax that guys think they’re going to replace the sport jet with, it had 17hrs on it and only 21thou clearance and was slipping and hard getting on step. They have no place in a river boat. Great for lakes but not river.

Top Bottom