single sled deck ideas and options???

thriller

Reaction score
Looking at making a single sled deck/ramp. I have a soft cover on my short bot GMC 1/2 ton. I see there are ones like the the DGRP that is both the ramp and the deck.
On that one you would have to remove every time you were not hauling your sled. Another idea I saw was one like this guy that folds up and I can put my tonneau cover over it when it is folded up.
Any experience with either of those options for a build? What do you like or not like about these styles? thanks in advance.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built one this year. 8’ 3/4” plywood sitting on 4 2x4’s running width wise. Cut the sheet at 4’ and put hinges on so it folds away under my tonneau cover when I don’t need it. Also put Superglides on to keep the skis straight. Use a tie fold ramp and put it beside the sled. Has been a good setup and cost was very low.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at making a single sled deck/ramp. I have a soft cover on my short bot GMC 1/2 ton. I see there are ones like the the DGRP that is both the ramp and the deck.
On that one you would have to remove every time you were not hauling your sled. Another idea I saw was one like this guy that folds up and I can put my tonneau cover over it when it is folded up.
Any experience with either of those options for a build? What do you like or not like about these styles? thanks in advance.
Just remember with tailgate open when travelling your tailgate will look like it was sandblasted. I seen a guy's truck after one season and the tailgate looked bad and he said he would never use a set up like that again

thriller

Reaction score
check out 'back yard bolt ons' single decks
Dusty wil fab u exactly what ya want
It looks like do real nice work there. I however am just building something myself out of aluminum as I am equipped to work with that. I don't travel far to go sledding so I am not so concerned about the tailgate. I currently just run with a hinged piece of plywood but am looking for something better so I don't have to haul a ramp.

DUS

Reaction score
I built one this year. 8’ 3/4” plywood sitting on 4 2x4’s running width wise. Cut the sheet at 4’ and put hinges on so it folds away under my tonneau cover when I don’t need it. Also put Superglides on to keep the skis straight. Use a tie fold ramp and put it beside the sled. Has been a good setup and cost was very low.

I do the same thing but without the 2x4s running width wise, just foldable piece of plywood. Curious as to the purpose of 2x4s if you still aren’t able to slide the ramp under or anything?

DUS

Reaction score

I like the looks of that recramp. Advantage over the DGRP that you could lock in the bed when not is use and store in half the amount of space.
Marlon also makes a single sled loader similar to the DGRP

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had one years ago - aluminum C-channel for the "rails" on the bottom bolted to the box (use L-brackets from existing bed bolts if you can), and built a ladder style frame with a small axle on it with a couple idlers to run inside the C-channel. Pretty much looked like the DRG one but the idlers ran in rails. If you need it in and out fast, just make a plate on the rail that either bolts to the "L" brackets or pins to them. Drop sled, pull pins or bolts, disconnect cables (see below) and deck comes out. Need a locking mechanism to keep sled in, don't rely on just ratchet straps. Can't remember exact dimensions but axle was around 40% distance? from the front, once the skis are over then it was weight-biased to the front. Might need to move it a bit more to the rear with todays sleds.

Honestly, just take the tailgate off unless you want it bent (yes it will very likely bend) - make your base a bit longer and just add a couple "Tailgate" style cables out to the ramp for support (cables from an auto wrecker or aircraft cable works good too). Less risk of piling your nice tailgate into a snowbank, less damage from rock chips and no bending.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best looking one I've seen

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have one of these. Really like it. Can manage it myself. Never have seen any tailgate issues.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing but without the 2x4s running width wise, just foldable piece of plywood. Curious as to the purpose of 2x4s if you still aren’t able to slide the ramp under or anything?

The 2x4’s just get the deck off the truck bed by 1.5” and makes it so I don’t have to screw around getting the ramp underneath the lugs, keeps the track up nicely.

thriller

Reaction score
I like the looks of that recramp. Advantage over the DGRP that you could lock in the bed when not is use and store in half the amount of space.
Marlon also makes a single sled loader similar to the DGRP
I do as well. they do have the dimensions on their website but I am not sure of the pivot contraption

DUS

Reaction score
I do as well. they do have the dimensions on their website but I am not sure of the pivot contraption

I’d like to see one in person.
Doesn’t look like it’s built as solid as the one piece ones after watching the video.

Ghfalls

Reaction score

There’s a super simple wood one on this thread.

DUS

Reaction score
The 2x4’s just get the deck off the truck bed by 1.5” and makes it so I don’t have to screw around getting the ramp underneath the lugs, keeps the track up nicely.

I gotcha, I struggle with the lugs on the ramp lol
I’ve thought about building it up with 2x6 or something running lengthwise so I could slide my ramp under once it’s loaded

thriller

Reaction score
I’d like to see one in person.
Doesn’t look like it’s built as solid as the one piece ones after watching the video.

You are right, it looks like they only use 1x2 tubing but I still like the concept. Just need to beef it up.

Top Bottom