Sidewinder tunes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been browsing at used sidewinders one thing i noticed is most of them say they are stock .no tunes kinda makes me wonder why seams like s cheap upgrade so why most of them not ? Tunes not really working? I see most of them have intake and exhust. Anyway what tunes work at 5k to 7k feet . ? Any input would be appreciated

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think because they are a bit over the 200 hp mark with just intake and exhaust.
Lund on S&M had lots of good info on this in past posts .

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Because most "tunes" don't work that well. In fact almost all of them are not even close to what is advertised for Altitude riders. Sea level is another story. A 270hp 'Re-flash" is likely 220-240 at best around 6000' I can assure you a 270 Nytro MCX will lay the smack down on any of these "tunes". This is all due to the smaller size OEM turbo that is "out of air" so to speak once you go past its efficiency as you rise in altitude. Hence why they may work towards their advertised gains at low elevation but not at anything we are accustomed to in Western Canada. The only way around that is to upsize the turbo. A couple companies do that if you wish.
Bottom line a Winder with a nice Cold air kit and exhaust is a very capable sled for 90% of the riding any of us are going to do. I have one with an OEM turbo and a Mod sled with a larger turbo........guess which one I ride more? The stocker. Its just more "rideable" and fun, and predictable, and reliable etc etc etc.
Safe sledding
RS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O thanks i will keep that in mind .

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a "tune", up grades on a SW your best bang for the buck is simply a cold air intake and resonator pipe.
The SW will deliver with these changes a solid 200-210hp all day long reliably.
As Climbmax said, pretty much all the tunes out there are very unimpressive and don't work for western elevation riding but more for eastern style riding.
If a power up is what your really needing then basically MCX is the only one that actually makes a difference at elevation as MCX are specifically made for elevation and they also specialize in Yamaha's.
The big difference in how these work compared to "tunes" is all about torque and making torque. While HP numbers can be made impressive by hackers and will make sales with consumers, big torque out come requires much more tech knowledge of the product and Yamaha's programing. MCX has a long standing relationship with Yamaha that others don't.
Here are some examples, stock SW with C/A and pipe has 200+hp and generates 145ftlbs of torque.
MCX 250hp will produce nearly 198ftlbs of torque. The 225hp MCX setup, produces 178ftlbs of torque.

Compare this to a couple of favorites, Hurrican 270hp produces 164ftlbs of torque. EVO 250hp makes around 145ftlbs of torque.

When at elevation and pulling monster tracks like a 3"x162-174 at 100+km/hr in 3ft of fresh up a hill, its not just about hp but also about torque.
Thus the biggest between a 2stroke turbo and a 4stroke turbo, is "torque" is what keeps that clutch shifted out and the track humming under a heavy load.

These tune upgrades don't make torque for elevation, its that simple.

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks. I now see why these used S.W. are setup with just an intake and pipe . I just sold my apex i sure like the Yamaha quality the cat part of the sidewinder kinda makes me a little unsure but ive mostly hear good things . Thanks for all the inputs

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a "tune", up grades on a SW your best bang for the buck is simply a cold air intake and resonator pipe.
As Climbmax said, pretty much all the tunes out there are very unimpressive and don't work for western elevation riding but more for eastern style riding.
If a power up is what your really needing then basically MCX is the only one that actually makes a difference at elevation as MCX are specifically made for elevation and they also specialize in Yamaha's.
The big difference in how these work compared to "tunes" is all about torque and making torque. While HP numbers can be made impressive by hackers and will make sales with consumers, big torque out come requires much more tech knowledge of the product and Yamaha's programing. MCX has a long standing relationship with Yamaha that others don't.
Here are some examples, stock SW with C/A and pipe has 200+hp and generates 145ftlbs of torque.
MCX 250hp will produce nearly 198ftlbs of torque. The 225hp MCX setup, produces 178ftlbs of torque.

Compare this to a couple of favorites, Hurrican 270hp produces 164ftlbs of torque. EVO 250hp makes around 145ftlbs of torque.

When at elevation and pulling monster tracks like a 3"x162-174 at 100+km/hr in 3ft of fresh up a hill, its not just about hp but also about torque.
Thus the biggest between a 2stroke turbo and a 4stroke turbo, is "torque" is what keeps that clutch shifted out and the track humming under a heavy load.

Very good explanation...

Couple questions...
Do you have experience with both the Cat and the SW? Other than clutching and factory “tune”, are there any other major differences between these two units?

What does the MCX250 kit run on for fuel? As with many guys from AB/Sask.. I ride at lower elevation, what would it take to run the 250 kit at 2500’...?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good explanation...

Couple questions...
Do you have experience with both the Cat and the SW? Other than clutching and factory “tune”, are there any other major differences between these two units?

What does the MCX250 kit run on for fuel? As with many guys from AB/Sask.. I ride at lower elevation, what would it take to run the 250 kit at 2500’...?

Basically same sled, SW uses Yamaha clutches vs Cat clutches any thing else is of minor diff.
You can run 91 pump at sea level with the 250MCX, the boost will not exceed 14.6-15psi, as the injectors, fuel pump and turbo are MAXed out at this point.
More power will require major component changes.
The engine it self can handle more boost no problem, so the 250 kit is a safe walk in the park for the SW.
Have fun clutching it if you choose that rout, most have failed at getting good clutching IMO, my 225 will walk on most 250 because of bad clutching.
As Randy said the SW with a C/A and pipe is more then what most recreational riders can handle, thus why most don't like the SW, she can be a handful and above many skill levels.

Its a hell of a sled once it is setup and you LEARN to use it.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

MCX stage 2 is 199 n-m which is 147 ft-lbs so would be comparable to all the other elevation flashes.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that out, my mistake i have read all my charts wrong. They were all in NM setting LOL.
So MCX250=147, 225=131, stock=114.

Where did you see the Hurricane dyno chart? I have the Evo tune but looking at trying one of the others just cause. MCX seems to be the only company posting charts for each tune.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you see the Hurricane dyno chart? I have the Evo tune but looking at trying one of the others just cause. MCX seems to be the only company posting charts for each tune.

I had the dyno spec's for both Evo and Hurricane, i have been looking in my files but i can't find them. I needed them for setting up a couple of SW that had been flashed but that was 2 or 3 years ago.
The numbers are off the top of my head and they might be out to lunch now that i posted the MCX in ftlbs instead of nm. Bad habit as i tend to deal more in imperial numbers when it come to engine outputs.

Originally i got the Hurricane chart from Dave at Hurricane via email. The EVO i don't remember.
I do know that both claims impressive numbers but neither work as well as MCX. and MCX has no issues posting their numbers they are readily available for anyone. Not so with some of the other reflash tune's.

If i find them i will post it.

Top Bottom