Sidewinder MTX Gear Ratio

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want my 2 cents throw away the SW primary replace with apex prim & nytro secondary before gearing. In concept the SW Clutches are gorgeous but just don’t get hp to ground. Just my opinion.
I see some are on this wagon & look forward to ride report.
100% man, I threw an apex primary and nytro secondary on this season, have one trip on this setup so far and it rips. Anyone want to buy some stock sidewinder clutches I have some LOL

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the Nytro secondary on it now with a 47 helix, what is the difference in the primary from the apex?
Hey Brett we were chatting on insta the other day about your secondary (Ryan) if you still have issues after the secondary swap I would find a used apex/nytro/viper primary and slap it on, double check your offset after the swap too. I researched clutching so much this offseason and had lots of help but still dont know if its the sidewinder primary or secondary or both that is causing all the issues, lots of roller issues in secondary and primary so hard to say. The power you are running I would swap both and run the 8DN belt. Wrap that purple spring tight in the secondary too and hammer down. 👍

brettallen517

Reaction score
Hey Brett we were chatting on insta the other day about your secondary (Ryan) if you still have issues after the secondary swap I would find a used apex/nytro/viper primary and slap it on, double check your offset after the swap too. I researched clutching so much this offseason and had lots of help but still dont know if its the sidewinder primary or secondary or both that is causing all the issues, lots of roller issues in secondary and primary so hard to say. The power you are running I would swap both and run the 8DN belt. Wrap that purple spring tight in the secondary too and hammer down. 👍
Thanks Ryan, should get a good test run here Wednesday, still running my stock primary with the thunder products rollers, stingray mods weights loaded to 98.5g and the dalton black and blue spring, and 911 cover, I’ve got that Nytro secondary with the dalton black/ orange sling in it wrapped to 1-6 with the straight cut 47 helix for now till that epi purple comes in, just got my belt drive ratio set at 2.42, I’ll give ya an update on how it does, just got 3.5’ of powder no base yet but just have to tread lightly.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, should get a good test run here Wednesday, still running my stock primary with the thunder products rollers, stingray mods weights loaded to 98.5g and the dalton black and blue spring, and 911 cover, I’ve got that Nytro secondary with the dalton black/ orange sling in it wrapped to 1-6 with the straight cut 47 helix for now till that epi purple comes in, just got my belt drive ratio set at 2.42, I’ll give ya an update on how it does, just got 3.5’ of powder no base yet but just have to tread lightly.
Right on, get that thing on the snow! I would be very surprised if you can pull that weight, especially with the new secondary. I ran that dalton black/orange in my stock secondary and it slipped, probably isn't enough for your setup but you have the epi on the way, I have the 2.42 ratio belt drive and was really happy with it, good luck! I am interested to see how your does with the new clutch.

old700

Reaction score
I’ve got the Nytro secondary on it now with a 47 helix, what is the difference in the primary from the apex?

Sidewinder primary has the weights and rollers further away from crank. I have to run 6g more in my Daltons when I switch to the older clutch. The sheaves are also cut to allow higher belt speeds than engine speed, which is hard on belts. Castings are also different(looks weaker) around the weight pivots also. Guys also miss the fact that if you have a belt blower, chances are the stub shaft has moved inwards on the motor and keeps making alignment worse. I don’t know why Yamaha never put a snap ring in the stub shaft bearing to lock it in position.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I did this year was seal all the holes in the lower belly pan with some clear flexible silicon, if you shine light from the outside in you can actually see there is a lot of gaps in the plastic especially the upper a arm mount that could be letting snow in and getting on the clutches and belt

Top Bottom