Sidewinder MTX Gear Ratio

brettallen517

Reaction score
I recently installed the mcxpress stage 3 on my 2018, running the 174x3” track, also running a TKI Belt drive. Last season I had the 2.53 ratio 26t -66b worked great in the trees but seemed to hit a wall when climbing on long pulls. Wanted to gear up to load the motor a little more with the extra power, ended up with a 28t -63b puts me at a 2.25… not sure if this is too far or if I’ll be fine pulling this ratio. Not enough snow to get much testing in now. Just curios what ratios have been tried and liked running higher hp sleds with big tracks.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with 2.42 when I went with the belt drive, yet to get and KM's on the new setup but know a few guys who have the same setup and really happy. We also only have the factory turbo and 250hp tunes though, I would think stock ratio would have been a great starting point.

brettallen517

Reaction score
I went with 2.42 when I went with the belt drive, yet to get and KM's on the new setup but know a few guys who have the same setup and really happy. We also only have the factory turbo and 250hp tunes though, I would think stock ratio would have been a great starting point.
Thanks I can get to the 2.42 if I throw my 26t on but not sure if my belt will be too long, the tensioner is out a ways now

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock is 2.33. I have the Specialty belt drive with 63T bottom and 26T top, 960mm belt. Not sure the belt length on the TKI. Whats the bottom end like with the bigger turbo? If you have little to no lag and are looking for more top end then maybe look into 63T bottom and 27T top for a 2.33 ratio. I would have thought with the bigger turbo and belt drive efficiency you would have had no problem pulling more MPH on your pulls. What is your max RPM?

brettallen517

Reaction score
The bottom end is explosive, more responsive than my 270 hurricane tune was last year for sure, just in the 20 miles of trail I put on it testing it two days ago. Last year I was clutched right to 9050, running stingray mods flatter profile weights and kit, pulled super hard. Shooting for the same rpm this year, mcx wants between 8900-9100 rpm

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure what track speed you would see but this shows you your 1-1 shift with the gearing you ran last year and what you looking at this year. Its a 9mph track speed increase a 1-1 shift. Food for thought.
IMG_1536.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any sidewinder experience, but I do have a lot of miles on boosted Yammys. So take this with a grain of salt, but what I recommend is to jiffy mark your drive clutch and see if you should change gearing and in what direction.

So once on the hill in a good open area so your not riding it as much as your driving it. Mark your drive clutch from the hub to the top and make a few pulls. Keep in mind you can't be running into the hill, thats not the intention here, just drive over till your on the hill already and roll the power on slow (like count to 3 slow). Do that a few times and see how high your running. Adjust from there, but remember that clutches are the most efficient at a 1:1 ratio, which is fully shifted out.

If your in hard snow or not a steep enough hill you will simply gain speed, same as drag racing across a lake, thats not what you want. You want to see the track speed grow slowly until it stops and stables out. If your running good power that should be in the 75-80mph range.

Remember if you simply gear up when its not required you will be transferring more load to the clutches and you will have more belt trouble.

What does your sidewinder do for max mph in a gearing calculator?

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was typing when dragonweld replied.

I think your in the wheel house, you shouldn't need to gear up. I had a apex motor that pulled 85ish mph track speeds though. So, depends on how your winder is running I guess.

brettallen517

Reaction score
Sorry, I was typing when dragonweld replied.

I think your in the wheel house, you shouldn't need to gear up. I had a apex motor that pulled 85ish mph track speeds though. So, depends on how your winder is running I guess.
It pulled good just seemed to hit 68-70 super fast and quit pulling, that was on the 270 reflash, with the bigger turbo kit I was thinking it would be a whole different animal on top, I’ve only got about 20 miles of road riding in due to no snow here in north Idaho but, that 20 miles it makes it feel like it was stock last year. Just changed the gearing yesterday but was just looking for other guys running a close setup before I bolt my oil tank back over it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1160 that pulls 88 mph maybe out of the back of a airplane on the way down . How many turbos on this 1160 ?

brettallen517

Reaction score
F76D3C85-6374-481E-839F-3B872A2440A0.jpeg

Stock is 2.33. I have the Specialty belt drive with 63T bottom and 26T top, 960mm belt. Not sure the belt length on the TKI. Whats the bottom end like with the bigger turbo? If you have little to no lag and are looking for more top end then maybe look into 63T bottom and 27T top for a 2.33 ratio. I would have thought with the bigger turbo and belt drive efficiency you would have had no problem pulling more MPH on your pulls. What is your max RPM?
How close is your belt drive belt to the casting inside the housing? I put the 26t top gear I have on with my 63 bottom and it’s super close.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want my 2 cents throw away the SW primary replace with apex prim & nytro secondary before gearing. In concept the SW Clutches are gorgeous but just don’t get hp to ground. Just my opinion.
I see some are on this wagon & look forward to ride report.

brettallen517

Reaction score
If you want my 2 cents throw away the SW primary replace with apex prim & nytro secondary before gearing. In concept the SW Clutches are gorgeous but just don’t get hp to ground. Just my opinion.
I see some are on this wagon & look forward to ride report.
I’ve got the Nytro secondary on it now with a 47 helix, what is the difference in the primary from the apex?

Attachments

• 20A9E377-2B29-499D-9A8B-CC3900EF4416.jpeg
    20A9E377-2B29-499D-9A8B-CC3900EF4416.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 79

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How close is your belt drive belt to the casting inside the housing? I put the 26t top gear I have on with my 63 bottom and it’s super close.

I have a the Specialty belt drive so its a different setup for tensioning the belt. If you are concerned and have no plans on returning back to stock setup you could remove that nipple.
20211111_111426[1].jpg

brettallen517

Reaction score
I have a the Specialty belt drive so its a different setup for tensioning the belt. If you are concerned and have no plans on returning back to stock setup you could remove that nipple. View attachment 248848
Thanks, It’s never going back to stock, I might remove it just so I have the option to go to the 2.42 if this 2.25 is too much

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you a little about the 1160. The first time I rode it I was geared 2-1 which is WAY higher than the sleds today. With in ONE SECOND of squashing the throttle the clutches shifted out so fast the belt literally crushed my secondary.

1160 that pulls 88 mph maybe out of the back of a airplane on the way down . How many turbos on this 1160 ?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So thats a no on turbo 1160 ? U must have couple stages of Nos ?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol im just messing with you .I had a 1200 m series with Nos it had its moments of fun . I do love old iron

Top Bottom