Sidewinder MCX stage 3 Boost

brettallen517

Reaction score
I Just purchased the stage 3 kit for my 18 MTX, just curios if anyone is running this kit with a header? Also curios where the kit comes setup as far as boost? How do I go about turning it up?

thanks,
Brett

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
350hp that it is set to isn't enough?

But not sure if you can turn it up. You adjust the boost and you will have to start adjusting the air fuel ratio or timing to compensate. Otherwise you run the risk of the sled going lean depending on how much you start playing with things.

brettallen517

Reaction score
350hp that it is set to isn't enough?

But not sure if you can turn it up. You adjust the boost and you will have to start adjusting the air fuel ratio or timing to compensate. Otherwise you run the risk of the sled going lean depending on how much you start playing with things.
Lol there’s always a want for more down the road, definitely gonna run it the way it comes to start, it will be a big step up from the setup I’ve been running. Mostly just curios if anyone has a header with this kit, I have a hurricane header now, just not sure if its worth keeping it on or throwing the stock manifold back on.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol there’s always a want for more down the road, definitely gonna run it the way it comes to start, it will be a big step up from the setup I’ve been running. Mostly just curios if anyone has a header with this kit, I have a hurricane header now, just not sure if its worth keeping it on or throwing the stock manifold back on.
Personally, i would take the headers out and put the stock manifold back on. MCX tunes their systems with the stock setup for the best safe setup while maximizing HP and Torque for mountain(elevation)
While headers might seem appealing, headers generally will rob you in torque for the gain in HP. So it really depends what you your self is looking for.
Hurricane is a popular aftermarket option for a SW but IMO lack real world experience in western elevation tuning/setup and are best for eastern style riding.
The headers i would bet are actually reducing your MCX stage 3 performance.
But you could always contact MCX and ask the question.

brettallen517

Reaction score
True mountain testing makes a big difference, Erik @ mcx actually built a header 2 years ago, testing is being done this summer. I’ll throw the stock manifold back on till I hear how it goes. Thanks for the help I’ll keep ya updated if he gets back to me with the results and if I get one from him

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even though you might see similar HP with or without headers, the headers will move the torque range of your engine higher in its band width. That's ok for lake's and trails but in the mountains pulling a big track at high elevation you need the torque range lower in the band width.
The manifold will do that, much better.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 350hp i cant imagine it having much problem spinning the track up anything! Haha

Top Bottom