Shot Start

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted to pass this onto any doo guys can’t remember if I had. Last spring riding with a buddy he blew a belt on a hard climb 2018 850. Sled shut off belt changed no problem. Go to start using shot and no fire ok no problem pull start no go……key is in place kill switch is up. We start pulling and I can clearly hear zero spark attempt. My only thought was did his knee smash the shot? Unplug shot sled fires first pull! Plug back in no go. He rode rest of weekend with no shot. If you have a Doo with shot start die for no reason unplug SHOT and pull the rope could save you a chopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been said before, but definitely a good piece of advise to spread around. Could definitely save a guy a long day and a tow or flight.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which plug is it? Anyone have a picture for reference

2e154b84fbc9a015891d7cb1d007a04e.jpg

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the original poster for this one. My 2020 ch!t down on me on a climb today and would not fire. I remembered this and managed to get it fired up however I think there is a larger issue as it died on me two more times and has a bad sound to it so I think there is something more major wrong. This got me out of the bush at least as I limped it home.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the original poster for this one. My 2020 ch!t down on me on a climb today and would not fire. I remembered this and managed to get it fired up however I think there is a larger issue as it died on me two more times and has a bad sound to it so I think there is something more major wrong. This got me out of the bush at least as I limped it home.

when the shot start capacitor fails it has the ability to fry the stator.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Having to push the start button more than once ro start the sled a sign it is getting weak?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That’s great to hear was my original intent hope to avoid the sky hook.

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
Is Having to push the start button more than once ro start the sled a sign it is getting weak?
I had a 19 that seemed like you had to hold the button for a long time, push it really hard, or try it a couple times before it would work. It then would only work occasionally, then not at all, they replaced the shot capacitor on warranty on that sled.

CJD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 19 that seemed like you had to hold the button for a long time, push it really hard, or try it a couple times before it would work. It then would only work occasionally, then not at all, they replaced the shot capacitor on warranty on that sled.
My 19 always worked. but on occasion you had to hold it down for a long time and every once in a while you had to release it and press it a second time. it was like that from day one but always worked.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the 2nd season of my 2020 freeride the shot starter worked sporadically and then hardly at all. it was a faulty crankshaft sensor and replaced under warranty.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 19 always worked. but on occasion you had to hold it down for a long time and every once in a while you had to release it and press it a second time. it was like that from day one but always worked.
Funny my 19 was the same until one day... nothing... they found a wire had come out of the crimped retainer inside of the clip.. was tough to find that one

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny my 19 was the same until one day... nothing... they found a wire had come out of the crimped retainer inside of the clip.. was tough to find that one
That’s exactly what happened to my 19 as well. Apparently there’s a series of tests that are done and one of them is looking at that particular wire, just not sure which one it is but it’s a common problem...must’ve had the janitor crimping wires that day!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And at what shop rates are now trying to trace wiring issues when a sled is off warranty can get expensive real fast.

Top Bottom