setting 08 800r cluth belt tension

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so after my first ride of about 50 miles im looking at my belt tension just to make sure its sitting where it should be accourding to the manual.

the top of the belt was flush to the top of the pully wheel which as i understand it thats not a correct tension ( too loose ) so again accourdning to the manual there should be a portion of the belt above the top of the pulley, now setting the tension to this point is / was easy enough.

my question is ( running the 377 belt ) when the tension is set accourding to the manual, and the back of the sled is lifted up so the track can run freely. the track will start to spin slightly on its own with no throttel input. is this normal ? im just thinking that will this not cause undue wear on the inside of the belt as its obviously making contact with the drive pulley? its not contacting the "side" of the belt where it normaly runs but on the inside. is my tension to high? ( yet accourding to the manual i should be correct ).

i even watched a vid on you tube on how to set the tension and im positive iv matched the same step by step outcome.

if this is normal then obviously i have nothing to worry about.

thanks for any help, im still learning the machine and all the nuances about clutching and setup

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it creaps slightly while on the stand,thats ok.But if it is on the ground and the sled moves on its own then it is too tight...Cheers!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Quote;the track will start to spin slightly on its own with no throttel input.

Thats what you want....
I set my belt height so the bottom of the cogs are even with the top of the secondary.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine turns a little bit on the stand as well. Like duck says, the bottom of the top cogs are flush with the top of the secondary.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine reacts the same way(slight rotation up in the air) and I also had the same concern about the belt wearing funny due to it being to tight but I havent had any problems. And I have run the original belt and the updated belt.

Thanks for the good question - I had forgotten about it myself and am also relieved that it seems to be the norm.

wepete

Reaction score
ok so after my first ride of about 50 miles im looking at my belt tension just to make sure its sitting where it should be accourding to the manual.

the top of the belt was flush to the top of the pully wheel which as i understand it thats not a correct tension ( too loose ) so again accourdning to the manual there should be a portion of the belt above the top of the pulley, now setting the tension to this point is / was easy enough.

my question is ( running the 377 belt ) when the tension is set accourding to the manual, and the back of the sled is lifted up so the track can run freely. the track will start to spin slightly on its own with no throttel input. is this normal ? im just thinking that will this not cause undue wear on the inside of the belt as its obviously making contact with the drive pulley? its not contacting the "side" of the belt where it normaly runs but on the inside. is my tension to high? ( yet accourding to the manual i should be correct ).

i even watched a vid on you tube on how to set the tension and im positive iv matched the same step by step outcome.

if this is normal then obviously i have nothing to worry about.

thanks for any help, im still learning the machine and all the nuances about clutching and setup
Dealer says don't have the cords showing above the top of sheave cause it tends to pull them cords out.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
I always adjust my belt with the straight edge and measure the deflection, not every belt is the same and I dont't think the track should creep because thats more heat added. (its in every ski-doo manual )

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always adjust my belt with the straight edge and measure the deflection, not every belt is the same and I dont't think the track should creep because thats more heat added. (its in every ski-doo manual )

Every belt is different,that is why you have to adjust it. Throw your straight edge out the door.
Unfortunately not all belts are made from the factory the same. But they are damn close.

When you have your sled off the ground it should creep slightly if you have your belt adjusted properly. PERIOD!!!

If your sled "creeps" when its on the ground,then it is obviously to tight....Cheers!

Last edited:

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
the belt should be looser rather than tighter, the primary has to work too hard to start the belt up the shiv. The primary should start on the belt before the secondary. I'll keep my straight edge thanks.

Top Bottom