Septic Systems

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think my field might be pooched, not draining like it should. Tank is concrete and should be replaced. What's the ball park cost for a new systems these days? Any way to clean older fields or is it dig up and replace?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F8AE9E68-42DB-4611-AC04-B9A9C8F97370.jpeg

Message Catman10 on here. He does fibreglass tanks. Has a system that will pass inspection for septic fields.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 with Catman10

He helped us with our cistern 2 years ago and I can't say enough good about him. 100% great guy!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No experience with fields I only do holding tanks, but they aren't cheap. As far as using fiberglass, i'm not a fan. You have to be so careful backfilling (more expensive using washed rock and extra fill to haul away) and not driving over, one wrong move and the tank is garbage. Depending on size a concrete tank is about $8,000 but they last a very long time.

Jobu

Reaction score
I had a new concrete tank put in 3 years ago just outside of Stony Plain. Cost $8k. Installer said a new field would be $8k if mine died. Think it was a 1400L tank? Two chamber unit.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the field?
Couple years ago I thought mine was done as it was slow draining from the house and eventually stopped altogether.
Got the pumper truck in to check tank first and found a plug at the tank inlet.
Rodded that clear and has been good since, touch wood.
Check with the vac truck outfits.
My son worked for one here years ago and they could clean out the drain field, usually from the distribution box.
Worth investigating if anyone still does this.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a big fan of fiberglass tanks over time they deteriorate and can collapse... as well as the comment above about back filling... I find the Polly tanks way better and seem to be more commonly used. If your tank is good you may be able to get away with just doing a field if you have the area since it cannot sit where the old field was. When was the last time your tank was pumped giving the field a break for a week or two after pumping may help

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my field system, found the splitter box and it was full of debris. Cleaned it's out, flushed the back to the tank and all was good

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
ZRock information is 100% false, I fight with lack of knowledge everyday, fibreglass does not deteriorate over time, in fact they will last so long that generations of families can use them, I have tanks in the ground 50 years old and still doing there job vs concrete which is a very short life span. True it is a little more money for backfill and a little more effort to bury a fibreglass tank but once bedded properly you will never deal with it again other than pumps etc. I am a no bul$it kinda guy if you wanna pm me I will give you my cell and we can discuss your issues

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find your distribution box dig all around it, put in some new lines... infiltrator lines are cheap and work awesome fast too. Homehardware has two sizes here is one.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents just did one 2 years ago and it was 27000$.

$hitty thing was, that nothing was wrong with the old system, but it wasnt up to the modern county codes. So they had to replace it to get some other thing approved.

Then the new system "ch!t" the bed a year and half in, and the guy that installed it wouldnt warranty it, so they bought a mini hoe to fix it them selfs.

Shitty situation

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
All I know about septic systems is if you accidentally unplug your pump and don't have a high level alarm your basement gets messy

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related….what are the rules for an open discharge? Much simpler obviously but requires more land

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a guy try that in a Rv, HI way was a mess no matter how much acreage there was. Ah the old pull in go.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No experience with fields I only do holding tanks, but they aren't cheap. As far as using fiberglass, i'm not a fan. You have to be so careful backfilling (more expensive using washed rock and extra fill to haul away) and not driving over, one wrong move and the tank is garbage. Depending on size a concrete tank is about $8,000 but they last a very long time.
They don't last that long with a water softener on it eats away at the concrete fast

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the field?
Couple years ago I thought mine was done as it was slow draining from the house and eventually stopped altogether.
Got the pumper truck in to check tank first and found a plug at the tank inlet.
Rodded that clear and has been good since, touch wood.
Check with the vac truck outfits.
My son worked for one here years ago and they could clean out the drain field, usually from the distribution box.
Worth investigating if anyone still does this.
Yeah did lots of them with the steam truck with a crawler nozzle works really good

Top Bottom