Safe riding - Fernie area?

schiermnultra

Reaction score
Due to the high avy risk just wondering where the safe riding areas are in the fernie area right now? Coal creek trail? rolling hills? pipeline?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rolling hills will be a pretty good bet please stay off and far away from the big stuff it was -10 and snowing today and now +8 in cranbrook so gonna be really wiggy out there so lets see how the snow sets up or doesnt from this weekend and maybe attack it next weekend if it gets better but rite now very slidy in the cran creston area and I assume fernie is the same

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek trail into the Rolling Hills would be a good bet. With the latest dumps, it is crazy deep!

Lot of trees to keep you busy all day and the next......if you don't get lost and have to stay the night.....hahahaha

That will be groomed tonight......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
you gonna be at the ride with derek and the boys tommorow ferniesnow?

I'm grooming tonight and that makes me pretty tired the next day (besides getting the groomer back I've got another hour to get my self back to Elkford).

If Tembec weren't logging, we would usually groom early, hang around for some socialization and after everyone got there, re-groom for a smooth ride home. With the plowing, that won't happen this year.

Gonna ride the trees in Elkford with the "better half". Sorry man as it would be nice to meet you but one of these days.....

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds good to me thank you very much for the grooming we appreciate look forward to a ride wiuth ya enjoy elkford

Reaction score
Corbin/Fernie area had some pretty big changes in temperatures and was dumping all day and hasn't stopped. We witnessed a few little slides and talked with some other guys and they said they witnessed a few larger slides that were naturally occuring. There is about a 1-1.5 foot layer of snow that is extremely heavy and wet that is sitting on top of a layer of ice about as thick as a penny. It was like riding in sand or water it felt pretty heavy and lots of digging! Headed back south from the powerline ROW and it was raining down below the closer you got to fernie. The guys we met up with today said they came from Fernie and there was a 11 degree temperature change within a very short distance and the highway went from being wet to straight ice. We started the day at -20 at coleman and staged at the yellow gates and it was -16 at noon. Good snow till you got further back and traveled further west where the snow got really wet and heavy. Stayed off the steep stuff as the risk was to great and we dug in one area for 2 hrs to get out. Hopefully tomorrow is cooler with better snow.

I will not be playing on the big stuff down here for a while!
Anyone riding out here be safe and enjoy.

Attachments

• GOPR0075.jpg
    GOPR0075.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 211
Top Bottom