RZR 1000 Primary Clutch Issue

Indy245

Reaction score
I have a 2015 RZR XP 4 1000 and I am having primary clutch issues. Had the family out for a ride and the unit start reving pretty high for the speed. Pulled the belt cover off and could smell belt bad but the belt was still intact. I didn't have a spare so we headed home at 50 km/h trying to limp home. We barely made it home, the belt was half normal width. I replaced the belt and same thing really high revs for slow speed, there were all kinds of belt and clutch debris, I just wanted ensure the belt wasn't the issue. I did a further inspection of the primary and it is completely F'd. The inner sheave is half the size of the outer. I took it to Polaris for a warranty claim and they are saying either water or dirt so my fault. The service manager forgot to mention that the jam nut had come completely off. See diagram: 2015 Polaris RZR XP 4 1000 (Z15VFE99AT/AV/AP) Drive Train, Primary Clutch | Ronnie's Mail Order. The jam nut is # 13. Would this be the cause? There wasn't moisture in the belt casing and we were putting along through dry trails when this happened (had the three year old and mama so no going fast or getting wet).

Thoughts on root cause?

Thanks.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have friends with similar issues... They are waiting to hear back from Polaris. It seems like there is a primary clutch issue though....
I would suggest checking rzr forums , lots of info about it on there and the possible cause .

Indy245

Reaction score
I pushed the issue with the store manager and had his service manager go back to Polaris, Polaris is now going to warranty the clutch. I wish I had pictures, I have never seen a clutch that messed up, even the service manager stated he has never seen that.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this common to a specific year or some hung over machinist working on a monday LOL

Top Bottom