Ruby Falls this time of year

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of taking the GF to see Ruby In a week or so. I've only ever been there in August because I've been told that the Cardinal is too deep to cross in June and early July. Does anyone know if it's currently crossable?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Was thinking of taking the GF to see Ruby In a week or so. I've only ever been there in August because I've been told that the Cardinal is too deep to cross in June and early July. Does anyone know if it's currently crossable?
with all the recent rain I would bet the river has swelled up some...... tough call Dean!

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you could cross the cardinal,but if you could I bet the falls would be awesome this time of year.If you do end up going,take pics.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, I guess I could always take her in from the South.

...will definitely post up a pic or two if we do go.

Reactions: RXN

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that,we have a group heading there right after the jamboree in july.I hope that dates a little flexible we'll be there on july 11th.
just a heads up the box canyon/ cardinal headwaters trail is closed until july 15

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=2]Cardinal Headwaters Trail[/h]A temporary restriction of motorized use is planned for the Cardinal Headwaters Trail, in the Coal Branch Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ), south of Hinton.

• – May 5, 2016 (1 page, 1.9 MB)
This restriction will take place from May 5 to July 15, 2016, to help protect the alpine eco-zone from disturbance during the spring when ground conditions are most susceptible to damage.
Trail restriction signage will be posted on-site to inform motorized users.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that fawkin sucks,probably have to change our plans now for that week Arrrrrrrg!Does anybody know if there is enough riding around there to keep a group busy for 4 or 5 days?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that fawkin sucks,probably have to change our plans now for that week Arrrrrrrg!Does anybody know if there is enough riding around there to keep a group busy for 4 or 5 days?

There are a number of mapped trails that you can see in the following map:

The trail along the South Esk will easily keep you busy for a day. Ruby Falls will keep you busy for a day if you take both the high trail one way and the low trail another - as long as you're not riding balls out all day (nice ride, take you time and enjoy). There's Toma creek and trails heading towards Cadomin, and a bunch of trail near Cadomin. There's a communications tower a couple k West of the Ruby Falls Kiosk that makes a nice but short evening ride - from the deck of the tower, you have a great view of the valley and it's a nice spot to watch the sunset. Then, I've seen a bunch of trails heading East from the Cardinal River (just North of the Thistle creek Kiosk) road but have never explored them yet.

In the end, it's a pretty small closure (but a really beautiful ride to have to miss) so I'd think you guys would be just fine.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks,we did the falls last year and were bringing friends this year that had not been.I'll check out the maps,I'm sure we can can keep ourselves amused.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks,we did the falls last year and were bringing friends this year that had not been.I'll check out the maps,I'm sure we can can keep ourselves amused.

When were you thinking of heading tat way?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're going to the snow and mud jamboree,then heading out sunday or monday.We camp at the clearing on the north east side of the junction of the pembina river road and grave flats road,huge area in there so we know we will all fit.We travel with kids so its a great place to let them ride when were hanging around camp.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're going to the snow and mud jamboree,then heading out sunday or monday.We camp at the clearing on the north east side of the junction of the pembina river road and grave flats road,huge area in there so we know we will all fit.We travel with kids so its a great place to let them ride when were hanging around camp.

lol, so Box Canyon will open up again 1 or 2 days after you're there.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was reading that post wrong i thought ruby falls trail was closed also.I would have liked to have done box canyon but oh well.

Top Bottom