Rims and Rubber - Advice?

Reaction score
I have a 2006 F150 I bought last year. I like it. I also test drove a few Dodges too... I liked them as well. So let's not have this turn in to a Ford VS. All other trucks thread :)

I've attached a couple of pictures so people can envision what I am looking for. I am looking to buy some "new" rims and rubber and have only been looking on Kijiji. I have a couple of options there, but would like to see what else I might be missing. Are any of you aware of a good source for used rims/rubber (preferably as a package deal)? Maybe one of you has something for sale? Some key information:

- I do not 4x4. The extent of my off-road use is limited to camping trips (gravel roads) and skidoo trips (picture Cataract Creek access) and that's about it.
- In the year I've owned it, I've literally put less than 4k kms on it.... I drive about 5 blocks to a bus stop and take a bus downtown to work.
- The current rims and rubber are fine... no problems with them and they don't need to be replaced urgently.. I just find the 17's to be a little small, considering the truck is raised and has fender flares.
- I did not raise the truck myself, so I do not know if it's a levelling kit or what (so I can't answer if asked). I'm a dip**** when it comes to vehicles... thus looking to the more mechanically inclined here.
- I only paid about 6k for the truck.... so putting on 4k worth of wheels doesn't make sense to me. My max. budget (self imposed) is about 2k...

All help is appreciated...... Thanks everyone :)

truck.jpg truck22.jpg

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally if your just looking to fill out the wheel wells I would just change tires and not rims, that could be done pretty easily in your budget and the rims you have now look pretty good. Normally I'd say a more aggressive/taller tire is only worth it if you go off-road, but considering the km you put on I don't think the fuel mileage difference will even be noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That being said that second link you posted looks pretty nice but I don't know my metric tire sizes good enough to know how that would compare to what you have now.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bigger tire will definitely look better, it looks like it is probably a lift/level kit where the front is a levelling kit 2.5" or so and usually a rear block that is about 1" higher than stock so it levels it and lifts the whole truck about an inch. A tire around 33" would look good as well as some updated wheels. The first wheel option you posted is stock on another model and won't have enough offset so it will look goofy with the big flares (fat chick with skinny legs). The second option would probably look good. If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit you could probably find new aftermarket wheels for about $1,000 and some new AT tires in the $1200 range. Probably a bit more for 20's but 18's would fit the bill too.

Reaction score
Personally if your just looking to fill out the wheel wells I would just change tires and not rims, that could be done pretty easily in your budget and the rims you have now look pretty good. Normally I'd say a more aggressive/taller tire is only worth it if you go off-road, but considering the km you put on I don't think the fuel mileage difference will even be noticeable.

I think you have a grasp of what I am looking for. How do I know/tell what tires would be taller yet still fit on the same rim? I'm for doing that, but I have no idea what all the tire number mean, other than R17 or R20 ..... I also agree... with as limited as my driving habits are.... longevity/fuel isn't much of a concern. I'm also pretty old and tend to drive very "calmly" lol

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I think you have a grasp of what I am looking for. How do I know/tell what tires would be taller yet still fit on the same rim? I'm for doing that, but I have no idea what all the tire number mean, other than R17 or R20 ..... I also agree... with as limited as my driving habits are.... longevity/fuel isn't much of a concern. I'm also pretty old and tend to drive very "calmly" lol

The first number (ie. 285) is the "section width" or width of the tread in millimeters, so 285mm wide in this case. Divide that by 25.4 to get the number in inches.

The second number (ie 55) is the "aspect ratio" or "height" of the tire as a percentage of the section width. So, 55% of 285mm in this case.

So, for a 285/55r20 tire, The tread width is 285mm or 11.22 inches wide. The sidewall is 156.75mm or 6.17 inches high. And a rim diameter of 20 inches. So total diameter of tire is 6.17 + 6.17 + 20 = 32.34 inches overall.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
you can buy wheels for 4 grand? lol.. Ric... We need to talk.......;-)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
you can buy wheels for 4 grand? Lol.. Ric... We need to talk.......;-)

you're a putz.... I can get them all for way cheaper, but you have to have these "special order", fancypancy, limited edition, specific wheels.... Putz ;) lol

Last edited:

Reaction score
I like the wheels you have on your truck.... What are they?

Thanks.... they are okay.. but I do not know. They came with the truck when I bought it, and they are winter rated (and I used them all last winter just fine) so I am just looking to have a second set (with or without rims) so that I can have better looking tires in the summer and go back to the current ones in the winter......

Reaction score
I knew people growing up that would spend 5k on a stereo system for their $800 winter beater...... I always thought they were morons, and their stereos were always the first ones stolen.... being that it's easy to break in to an '81 Acadian.

Tires are the same for me...... being that I only spent 6k on the entire truck... chipped.... tonneau cover, bed liner, toolbox, fender flares, and it runs great...... spending more on tires than the truck is worth would make me one of the morons I used to know lol

Reaction score
The first number (ie. 285) is the "section width" or width of the tread in millimeters, so 285mm wide in this case. Divide that by 25.4 to get the number in inches.

The second number (ie 55) is the "aspect ratio" or "height" of the tire as a percentage of the section width. So, 55% of 285mm in this case.

So, for a 285/55r20 tire, The tread width is 285mm or 11.22 inches wide. The sidewall is 156.75mm or 6.17 inches high. And a rim diameter of 20 inches. So total diameter of tire is 6.17 + 6.17 + 20 = 32.34 inches overall.

read this... re-read it..... makes sense (although I will never have it memorized.... I think I have a mental block lol)

I am going to go apply this "equation" to the two examples I provided earlier and see which one might suit my needs better.

Reaction score
Okay so in the two example I provided this is what I get... assuming I understand....

305/55/R20 = 167.5 = 6.6 + 6.6 + 20 = 33.2 inches tall

and

275/55/R20 = 151.25 = 5.95 + 5.95 + 20 = 31.9 inches tall

So the first link would provide more "filling" for the wheel well... even though they are just stock rims... I also have no idea what is currently on my truck to compare (other than the r17 portion)... I'll have to look when I go home.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Okay so in the two example I provided this is what I get... assuming I understand....

305/55/R20 = 167.5 = 6.6 + 6.6 + 20 = 33.2 inches tall

and

275/55/R20 = 151.25 = 5.95 + 5.95 + 20 = 31.9 inches tall

So the first link would provide more "filling" for the wheel well... even though they are just stock rims... I also have no idea what is currently on my truck to compare (other than the r17 portion)... I'll have to look when I go home.

Dead on the money! That first example will fill up the wheel well much better. Height AND width wise. As long as your wheel backspacing is correct. If your backspacing is too large (or too small), you may have rubbing issues on harder turns.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
dead on the money! That first example will fill up the wheel well much better. Height and width wise. As long as your wheel backspacing is correct. If your backspacing is too large (or too small), you may have rubbing issues on harder turns.

keep in mind your speedometer will be out approx 5%+

Top Bottom