Rifle Scope

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been out of hunting for at least 15 years now and even back then, was mostly into bowhunting. I got a buddy wanting me to join him for a whitetail rifle hunt up north at his newly acquired cabin so I’m thinking of taking him up on the offer. My old model 70 Winchester .270 is in dire need of a new scope though and I wouldn’t even know where to start. Anyone have any recommendations? I don’t really wanna break the bank and definitely don’t need anything crazy fancy. Also not a long range guy. 300 yards would be a very long poke for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the game a while too, but the Vortex Diamondback line has been a pretty good value.
Vortex Diamond Back Tacktical 4-12x40 runs around that $400 mark. I just picked one up and it's a pretty nice little scope

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're even on sale:

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Scorpion. Life time warranty like vortex and many others. I think main thing is look for the warranty

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Leupold but they are pricey. I believe they just got the Canadian Military contract so they will have to be durable and work well

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO go with a magnification higher than 3x9 rifle scope. Looking through one at a deer that's 300 yards away doesn't look very magnified set to 9. Even at 100 yards it seems far lookin through the scope with that magnification range. Remember you can always zoom back with a higher power scope.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Vortex viper 6.5x25x50 I really like it. I like the 50mm optics better, they gather light better in early morning or late evening. Vortex warranty is hard to beat.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Leupold but they are pricey. I believe they just got the Canadian Military contract so they will have to be durable and work well

Leupold makes a nice scope. They’re not cheap but pretty hard to beat. Nikon makes the nicest clearest glass. From what I seen and read I’d stay away from bushnell. I got one on my 30-06 and it’s a horrible scope. Crosshairs are so thick you can’t shoot past 150yards. Good thing it’s on my 30-06 it’s a horrible gun to go along with the scope lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leupold makes a nice scope. They’re not cheap but pretty hard to beat. Nikon makes the nicest clearest glass. From what I seen and read I’d stay away from bushnell. I got one on my 30-06 and it’s a horrible scope. Crosshairs are so thick you can’t shoot past 150yards. Good thing it’s on my 30-06 it’s a horrible gun to go along with the scope lol.
Yes there is a reason Bushell is the lowest price in any of the optic categories. They are poorer quality.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The government should have picked nightforce for the best IMO... Nuff said.
Now those are pricey. Lol. I looked at them but way out of my wallets budget. I believe most of the US military’s top snipers use Nightforce. I know Chris Kyle did.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now those are pricey. Lol. I looked at them but way out of my wallets budget. I believe most of the US military’s top snipers use Nightforce. I know Chris Kyle did.

Yeah they are too pricey IMO. I have one and bought it quite a few years ago and was expensive, now that same scope is wayyy more lol. Wish I would have gotten a higher power than 22x. The US knows a good rifle system. Rem 700 action. You can't beat it.

March 80x scope. I'd love to get that thing. You could see fleas on animals along ways away.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Havent tried one yet but a lot of the top PRS shooters are saying these are pretty crazy for the money.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s funny I have bushnell on three of my rifles and they have some of the better glass out there and as for a 30-06 being a horrible gun. Hahaha but it is just an opinion. But honestly look through the scopes pick what suits you as most have no problem warranty.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s funny I have bushnell on three of my rifles and they have some of the better glass out there and as for a 30-06 being a horrible gun. Hahaha but it is just an opinion. But honestly look through the scopes pick what suits you as most have no problem warranty.

Not saying a 30-06 is a bad caliber I am saying my 30-06 is a bad gun. So many things make bad lol.

Top Bottom