Riding areas around Fernie

tasco

Reaction score
I ride Fernie every Saturday now. I normally play along coal trail but when I read the groom report I see that Harvy pass, coal train, Martin creek and hills entry are groomed. I know about coal trail and Harvy pass, but where do Martin creek and hills entry start? I can not find them on the trail map that the Fernie snowmobile assoc. Publishes. Do they all take off from coal trail or is there more staging areas that I do not know about.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I ride Fernie every Saturday now. I normally play along coal trail but when I read the groom report I see that Harvy pass, coal train, Martin creek and hills entry are groomed. I know about coal trail and Harvy pass, but where do Martin creek and hills entry start? I can not find them on the trail map that the Fernie snowmobile assoc. Publishes. Do they all take off from coal trail or is there more staging areas that I do not know about.

First of all, the grooming program is kind of in a mess this year due to rain and logging on the Morrissey/McEvoy part of our trail system.

The Marten Creek area is to the left as you go up Coal Creek. It is at map location 110 (there is a sign on a tree close to the Paiges Draw sign). The bush signs are 6"x12" aluminum with red lettering indicating major junctions.

There are cut blocks, the power line, and roads in this area. You can ride all the way to the "yellow gates" on this trail but it is only groomed for our major areas.

The Rolling Hills entry is a short groomed section this year that goes into the bush at marker 115. It is 2 km long.

The grooming report itemizes Hartley Lake which is on the north side of highway #3 at Dickens road. This is a separate staging area.

Hope this helps , fs

tasco

Reaction score
Thanks, I did a little more exploring this Saturday and kind of figured that out. I guess those side trails were not groomed last week and that confused me. It's still kind of tough getting to wranglers cabin through the rolling hills, but at least I am not getting lost now. Will need to do some more exploring around Martin creek looks like there are some nice areas around there.

tasco

Reaction score
I appreciate the invitation, and I may look into that sometime when my wife and I want to get away for a weekend. But I only live 2 hours from Fernie. Its is only a short 2 hour drive for me, and since my 2 kids are skiing at the hill every Saturday for the next couple of weeks, my schedule does not warrant overnighting and spending a lot of time in town. I also like getting home at 6pm again.

Kids skiing at the hill with ski club is my excuse for being able to go for a ride every Saturday. To expensive for a lift ticket, gas is cheaper

Reaction score
I agree with the cost of lift tickets. We look forward to hearing from you when you have an even better excuse to bring the wife and let her go shopping while you ride and both enjoy the hot tub looking at the mountains to relax. cheers

Top Bottom