Riding Area 51

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thankyou for this input.
Yes - I agree with signage, but I think georeferenced mapping is the best solution.
I have stuck our head out of the sand here on this forum. You get it. We are pretty much running a family farm built up over 20 years, so much work goes into harvest time, our staff depend on it. 3 sleds on March 1 from south side and another group March 2 from east side significantly impacted our ability to go to work by tracking up core safe runs in a matter of hours. The larger picture I think is that Revelstoke, and a lot of BC is blown out (largely by over promotion of snowmobile tourism), pushing locals out further. We cannot go anywhere else.
We all need to go to work. I can think of many analogies depending on what people do for a job. Terrain is our tool, having your tools trashed in any trade puts a wrench in the work flow. I respect everybody's right to work. Cheers and stay safe over there in Golden - yikes.
I think you nailed it here, I don't think the so called out of town riders/tourist are your issues here.
It will be locals, having knowledge of the terrain and knowing the routs into these places is not what most tourist will have. After driving so many hour to ride a limited amount of time before they head home the vast majority will ride club zones.
I ride almost a 50/50 club zones and non club zones and honestly there are plenty of locals that do not ride club zones for the very reason of too many sleds tracking everything up. Snowmobiling tourism and promotion is good for that community but not so much for the backcountry rider. We've been pushed out by tourism.
We may spend an entire season working an unknown zone and it may be 100% possible that we end up over lapping or crossing a ski zone unknowingly.
I don't know what your solution maybe, I have all my zones loaded in my GPS and to the best of my knowledge try to respect ski zones if I know they are there, same as parks and wild life.

ACman

Reaction score
I think you nailed it here, I don't think the so called out of town riders/tourist are your issues here.
It will be locals, having knowledge of the terrain and knowing the routs into these places is not what most tourist will have. After driving so many hour to ride a limited amount of time before they head home the vast majority will ride club zones.
I ride almost a 50/50 club zones and non club zones and honestly there are plenty of locals that do not ride club zones for the very reason of too many sleds tracking everything up. Snowmobiling tourism and promotion is good for that community but not so much for the backcountry rider. We've been pushed out by tourism.
We may spend an entire season working an unknown zone and it may be 100% possible that we end up over lapping or crossing a ski zone unknowingly.
I don't know what your solution maybe, I have all my zones loaded in my GPS and to the best of my knowledge try to respect ski zones if I know they are there, same as parks and wild life.
YEP ! I think part of the solution is geo-referenced mapping - the challenge is to ensure all snowmobilers use the same map. This could be a good project for the BCSF. Thanks

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YEP ! I think part of the solution is geo-referenced mapping - the challenge is to ensure all snowmobilers use the same map. This could be a good project for the BCSF. Thanks
Doubt it, BCSF at best of times can’t get their ch!t together.
They are a non polarized organization, fighting amongst them self, club against clubs, east vs west. Essentially they are a joke.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the best way forward woukd be to get a diverse group to come out right after seasons end. Do a little suggested sled recon for potential routes, and get a good understanding of ski routes, and how they are affected. Come up with a couple amicable routes to be mapped with some GPS coordinates.

Again, just a suggestion.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing, the sledders you do get on board, are going to be your best adversaries going forward. Anyone they bring, will get educated, and anyone they see will get educated. Thats how it is at some other places close by.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing, the sledders you do get on board, are going to be your best adversaries going forward. Anyone they bring, will get educated, and anyone they see will get educated. Thats how it is at some other places close by.

Chatter Creek, just name bomb because it helps.

The fact that they somewhat endorse sled sets mid season but ‘prefer’ the sledding spot season makes slot of people respect there area.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doubt it, BCSF at best of times can’t get their ch!t together.
They are a non polarized organization, fighting amongst them self, club against clubs, east vs west. Essentially they are a joke.
5-10 years ago that was the case, I think they are doing a lot better today. That said they seem to be more about pushing snowmobile tourism which as you said results in us locals pushing into zones further and further out to avoid the crowds.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5-10 years ago that was the case, I think they are doing a lot better today. That said they seem to be more about pushing snowmobile tourism which as you said results in us locals pushing into zones further and further out to avoid the crowds.
Glad they are sorting things out, pushing out a bunch of old bickering men and having a younger male female operators got to help improve things. LOL

Top Bottom