Retaining Walls

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have to put up a 18 - 20" retaining wall between my east neighbor from my property line to build it up in Valemount. The neighbor to the west is up quite high and the neighbor to the east is extremely low. My place will be at least 2' higher than the neighbor on the east and in the this is only 2.581 m ~ 8.5 ft to property line. Dropping 2' in 8' is a bit too much. I have more room on the west side 4.303 m ~ 14', that is the higher house and I want to make a place to park an RV or sled trailer, the neighbor has a driveway on that side as well.

What ideas are out there.

valemount.JPG

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some pretty big retaining walls up here at lake. I will try and get some pics for you but probably not till Saturday

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Concrete with piles?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMG_6520.jpeg

They use a lot of these concrete blocks out here. They are very solid and make for a great wall. Lots across the street from us have walls 15' high with these blocks. Fill in the top with top soil or rock and they will add a lot of curb appeal.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a house on Sylvan lake being built right now with a 2 level retaining wall using massive precast concrete blocks.

Something like this, but its just 2 massive blocks.

1629432486745.png

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I plan on 18 - 20" above the ground, yard will be all gravel and need something with some curb appeal as well. Merc63 is a professional landscaper he said to use large rocks. I would sooner have flat large rocks but looking at all options. Have lots of time, need to do this next summer.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemont mountain stone!
I had 50 tones trucked in and built 2 walls and a set of stairs.

Guys name was Jim.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Still have his #. It was a few years but give him a call. No trucking for you, price might be sweet.
My load started with talk about a super b. But then they ran a tandem 4 trips and some big ones on a flat deck semi trailer. They would leave valemont at midnight and show up 6 am every day for a week.

Attachments

• 5E25EBFF-3322-4ED0-BD12-8CCA7FAB1825.jpeg
    5E25EBFF-3322-4ED0-BD12-8CCA7FAB1825.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 99

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I Still have his #. It was a few years but give him a call. No trucking for you, price might be sweet.
My load started with talk about a super b. But then they ran a tandem 4 trips and some big ones on a flat deck semi trailer. They would leave valemont at midnight and show up 6 am every day for a week.
He's on LinkedIn and still has that business in vale. That would work good I should go see him when Im there next.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron, this is what your going to want for your situation. Running bond offset blocks. So the wall tapers back as it goes up and the suppliers will make a nice cap for the top. 50/50 offset ensures best strength. This isn’t a garden retaining wall this needs to be a gravity wall so that area of your yard is actually usable ( park atvs sleds etc) if you don’t go with an offset wall it will start to fall over in short time. See it lots

I’ll have the design done Tommorow so you’ll know how high

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive run a super busy landscape company in CGY for 20 years, lots of experience. Your best bets are Stackable Iron stone, Pisa 2 or Allan block for your application. (Pisa 2 or Allan block is coming from Expocrete out of Acheson. II'm positive you could get an order through Home Hardware. All are very nice. Make sure to use geogrid on the wall if you are using cultured block to disperse the load and always incorporate capsuled drainage. Natural rock is cost effective but shipping is not. Most quarry's ship via Super B which is 40tonne. Covers 300-350sqft of wall. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Cheers

Top Bottom