Renshaw to kakwa lake

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that my relates in Smithers do for their bigger multi day trips is get a semi large group together and split the cost of having a barrel of fuel dropped halfway in by heli- don't know if this is feasible but it might solve one of the challenges of doing a trip like this if it is...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a skimmer would work great, pulling jerrycans etc.......

Hey summitric have you ever tried to sidehill a mtn side with a skimmer hooked up? Ive been chattin with some ppl around here and i beleive its doable. One way would bring you out on the kakwa trail. But its some steep knarly terrain back there.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey summitric have you ever tried to sidehill a mtn side with a skimmer hooked up? Ive been chattin with some ppl around here and i beleive its doable. One way would bring you out on the kakwa trail. But its some steep knarly terrain back there.

I have spent a lot of time talking to one of the locals in Dore who maintains the logging roads and use to log on Morkil's million dollar mile out by Forgetmenot. I have even taken a few pokes about 15-20 Km past Spirit to the real starting point of the journey and said fugg it as I do not believe I could drag a bigg enough skidder and certainly could not pullthe skidder to do some of the climbs needed. Maybe play safe and start at Fogetmenot or better yet just use Walker Creek Road. Our short pokes were never with less than four just in case chit happens.
Exploring is by far my favorite part of sledding but one must be realistic on what is acheivable without involving assisstance from the S&R Team!
McBride to Kakwa is a BIG deal and hats off to anyone who tries........just play safe!!

michaud2307

Reaction score
Im game anytime... What looks good on a map bring u back to realty when u get there!! Haha.. Almost need to go up on chopper and flag some checkpoint!! Trees got pretty tight where we tryed to go trough but was a blast !! A guy can get in a situation real quick especially when u want to get Somewhere ...Just saying

Kruiser

Reaction score
The walker creek road is the way to go, been there done that. The route is sound and you can play on the sides. Can drop the skimmer half way, top up and away u go :)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like alot of fun..Id be into tryin it out some time,, Dont know the area that good,but I have other skills and lots of Back country experience.

Probably be alot easyier to do a one way trip,, Have someone pick you up
at Kakwa rather than trying to return on sleds.

I;ve been thinking of a similer epic cross country journey,, Golden(bush)to valmount.. But thats a differnt can of worms there....

Ape

Reaction score
I'd also like to try mcbride to barkerville :)
I worked out in mcbride for a while back in the 90's and talked to locals who said it used to be doable. I was going to try this a few years back on a dual sport bike but while gathering info was told that the bridges that one would have to cross have been out for sometime now and the trail grown over. I would imagine it would be not sweat on a sled in the winter and if I recall correctly I was told it is only something like 40-60 Kms across to Barkerville. I think it would be a gas on sled.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to try mcbride to barkerville :)

Crane operator at work claims to have done this and was a logging road trip but I believe that they started from around Dome Diner/Milk River area and yes on google there are logging road all the way. Back country road map for the area would also be an aid in planning and well well i just happen to have books for the area. I think Ken said they stayed overnight and then came back?? Pulled a skidder, he said it could be done in one day but long trip.

avalanche ranch

Reaction score
That's maybe exciting if your from the city. Done that trip there and back on a Bravo 250. Camped out 5 days exploring the hills, ripped the Bravo way up Alexander on hero snow. Renshaw over now thats a trip!

Ape

Reaction score
Crane operator at work claims to have done this and was a logging road trip but I believe that they started from around Dome Diner/Milk River area and yes on google there are logging road all the way. Back country road map for the area would also be an aid in planning and well well i just happen to have books for the area. I think Ken said they stayed overnight and then came back?? Pulled a skidder, he said it could be done in one day but long trip.

The guys I was talking to back then were saying they started right from town. At the time there was a fire on bell mountain that summer and the guy I was talking with just sort of mentioned it in passing during our conversation. I am sure he had said that they would take the roads near Bell to start and work it from there. I can't remember all of the details but I am positive about the part were they left right from town. When they did it there were no quads so it was in a 4x4. I am sure that with the logging that has happened in the last 20 or so years there has to be a series of logging roads to travel but I guess the trick will be to figure out the right ones to travel.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to Google Earth you will not find any clear pass that will take you through to Barkerville from Bell in a 4X4.

The guys I was talking to back then were saying they started right from town. At the time there was a fire on bell mountain that summer and the guy I was talking with just sort of mentioned it in passing during our conversation. I am sure he had said that they would take the roads near Bell to start and work it from there. I can't remember all of the details but I am positive about the part were they left right from town. When they did it there were no quads so it was in a 4x4. I am sure that with the logging that has happened in the last 20 or so years there has to be a series of logging roads to travel but I guess the trick will be to figure out the right ones to travel.

Ape

Reaction score
If you go to Google Earth you will not find any clear pass that will take you through to Barkerville from Bell in a 4X4.
That is why I was looking into it when I wanted to do it on bike a few years back. I was unable to find anything that I thought might be some what of an open track. I also forget the guys name or I could have just called him to get info and confirm the story. Ah who knows maybe the dude was just pulling my leg thinking I looked like the adverturous type he could sucker into a bad trip. I would think it could be done on sled though. What says you riverjet?

Top Bottom