Reducing search and rescue calls

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious... Do the various S&R services in sledding communities have numbers you can text from an inreach device? I'm just thinking about what Ron said above. In emergency situations it seems like getting them the info they need would be far better than just a generic call from a dispatch service like inreach.

Some SAR units have non emergency emails but SAR doesn't move until the cops call them.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious... Do the various S&R services in sledding communities have numbers you can text from an inreach device? I'm just thinking about what Ron said above. In emergency situations it seems like getting them the info they need would be far better than just a generic call from a dispatch service like inreach.
Need a sat phone and the number for the local rcmp detachment if you want swift action.

Dialed 911 on a sat phone once.
You get GEOS the same clowns that respond when you press the sos button. What a **** show.
Definitely better to grab a sat phone and talk to humans.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think a common channel example 16 this information should be posted at the trail head everyone would lend a hand could solve a lot of call outs as we are riding right in the area, i know everyone in my riding group would help out if we monitor the channel the problem could be solved before SAR needs to be called out

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think a common channel example 16 this information should be posted at the trail head everyone would lend a hand could solve a lot of call outs as we are riding right in the area, i know everyone in my riding group would help out if we monitor the channel the problem could be solved before SAR needs to be called out
I could see a huge benefit to this, especially with the radios that can monitor two channels.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a sat phone and the number for the local rcmp detachment if you want swift action.

Dialed 911 on a sat phone once.
You get GEOS the same clowns that respond when you press the sos button. What a **** show.
Definitely better to grab a sat phone and talk to humans.
Fair enough. I was just thinking in addition to hitting SOS to get the ball rolling, being able to text them the specifics would help them better prepare for the situation.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see a huge benefit to this, especially with the radios that can monitor two channels.
I agree, I think it would solve 99% of the problems.
Lots of well prepared people out there who could help in a pinch.

How do we make 16 and ladd 3 official?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I agree, I think it would solve 99% of the problems.
Lots of well prepared people out there who could help in a pinch.

How do we make 16 and ladd 3 official?

Maybe send a letter to BC Snowmobile Association. Get their blessing and they can forward to all clubs.
Have signs posted at booths and cabins.....

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m going to keep it real with you guys. Much respect for SAR, people working booths, clubs and groomers. But the wave is coming. People paying 20,30,40,50% above market value for sleds right now. These same people are heading for a hill near you. Feel sorry for you guys.

Top Bottom