Red Cross party on parliament hill.....That's nice

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cost of the Fort McMurray fire - CBC News | The National

Ceo of Canada red cross at a celebration of red cross day along with a hundred of employee's (maybe some are volunteer's?) on the hill.
Good thing the largest dissaster in modern canadian times isn't going on at the moment.
Apparently no one has any work to do, so might as well have a party.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a different message from that newscast. It was clearly stated that all the money donated for Fort Mac was going to be used to help victims of the fire, I think that's what the folks that donated were expecting?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a different message from that newscast. It was clearly stated that all the money donated for Fort Mac was going to be used to help victims of the fire, I think that's what the folks that donated were expecting?

This may shock you, but the newscast isn't 100% accurate. Some of the money goes straight into a 'next disaster' fund. 5% goes for administration costs. And as to the funds that are going to the victims, no one has clarified exactly what the victims are receiving from Red Cross.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
This may shock you, but the newscast isn't 100% accurate. Some of the money goes straight into a 'next disaster' fund. 5% goes for administration costs. And as to the funds that are going to the victims, no one has clarified exactly what the victims are receiving from Red Cross.
As of right now, I'm pretty sure that it's SFA. Over a week now with $60 million (or $180 million with the matches)brought in, and these people haven't received a thing, I don't think. Just what they've been handed personally by donaters. I would be so frustrated if I was one of the displaced. Hearing about all this money brought in, and none out to me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not shocked at all, which is why I gave money to one of the peeps on here that was hauling stuff up to help a while ago. I watched that vid twice and didn't get anything that indicated the Red Cross wasn't going to direct the donated funds to Fort Mac. Just because there hasn't been clarification doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. Adamg I'm with you though as far as expecting the worst from any corporation that is handed a p!sspot full of money, but I still hope that we are wrong :)

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Red Cross never directs money directly to the disaster its received for. It takes too long. It uses funds and resources/ materials it has on hand to immediately start relief operations as required. Then it uses the money donated to top up its reserves and replace material etc for the next disaster. What would be interesting to know is what percentage of the funds raised for mcmurray will actually be spent on mcmurray relief.
Its what happens to this difference in funds vs. Spending that quietly goes unasked. I think everyone would agree that there's costs involved in running the organization, and I've personally witnessed the outstanding work that they do, but like some of you I conceptually have concerns with how The money is actually used vs. The intent of the donations.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
The Red Cross never directs money directly to the disaster its received for. It takes too long. It uses funds and resources/ materials it has on hand to immediately start relief operations as required. Then it uses the money donated to top up its reserves and replace material etc for the next disaster. What would be interesting to know is what percentage of the funds raised for mcmurray will actually be spent on mcmurray relief.
Its what happens to this difference in funds vs. Spending that quietly goes unasked. I think everyone would agree that there's costs involved in running the organization, and I've personally witnessed the outstanding work that they do, but like some of you I conceptually have concerns with how The money is actually used vs. The intent of the donations.
Ok.... so why is it that they haven't started relief operations yet? A week and a half later. THAT is the most frustrating part. They're just stock piling right now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just heard on the news today the head guy is releasing $50,000,000 immediately for distribution to all evacuee's. He said this works out to a $600 E Transfer in every adults bank account and $300 distributed to every minor. People will see the money in the next 2 days.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk when you see numbers like $50 and $100 million thrown around and peeps are getting less than $2000 you see how big this disaster is in size. What is $2000 gonna do for you in the long term?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Red Cross is responding to the heat of social media, etc.....................and it is about time they responded with something!

Still waiting for the TruDope to put his boots in Alberta.:confused:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I am sure most victims will appreciate the financial aid ... A couple of thousand $$ won't even cover the extra out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of the fire ... There are so many little costs that will add up ... That insurance will not cover etc etc ... Just to replace most people's paper work / will take more than 2 grand .

This is monumental size issue .... The fees for late bill payments / car registrations / new school fees / change of address costs .... Just to name a few will eat that up in a heart beat !

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Red Cross is responding to the heat of social media, etc.....................and it is about time they responded with something!

Still waiting for the TruDope to put his boots in Alberta.:confused:

Keep him outta here!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two reasons Trudope has dragged his feet coming to Fort Mac the way I see it:
1. He knows no one out here likes him
2. If he rushed out here right after the fire went through the city it wouldn't look good to his new Climate Change buddies he made friends with in Paris

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make no mistake Turdeau is an idiot however I agree the last couple weeks weren't a good time for him and all the crap that comes with him to visit an active fire. First thing he's done I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny this thread started up. i just sold my 5th wheel to a young family that lost their home in the fire. They lost everything except the truck they are driving. They plan to live in it until they can get back on top of things. My wife and myself decided to include everything to go with it right down to towels, plates, cups and silverware. We have our friends on board now to, and will get some funds raised for them and will hand it directly to them just to avoid this crap being discussed here.

Top Bottom