Rated R

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rated "R" was actually originally a Kawasaki drag bike.
It got sold to Redline in Vernon and from there it moved on.
I rode it once doing test back when i was young LOL.
It was intended to drag at the drag strip in Kelowna "Thunder mountain".

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good times…. I remember that day well…The snow was absolutely terrible…

Rated-R kinda ch!t the bed that day… not the advertising I’m sure Chad was looking for..?
In all fairness, it was a concept sled that was so insanely custom that it would have taken a week of testing at that altitude and temperature to get it running right. You gotta compress nitro to make it lite, so they probably needed more compression or pulley, or spark, who knows, etc etc etc. Really tough to do with 1000 people standing on your shoulder looking....no pressure though......LOL

The donor motor was from Gary's drag bike I think. It simply was too powerful to ever be on the snow, no real way to hook it like on rubber at the track. They sheared the pulley off I think when they did get it hooking decent on the lake. Power coming on is like a light switch, because it was not a CVT system, so when you let off, the front of the sled dove. The front of the sled was too heavy in a standard configuration, just too much motor to support. So for what they did with it, it was a success. Would have been a sweet asphalt drag sled.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember that day. Was standing real close to it and overheard 2 guys talkin that nitro was very unstable at that temperature and the thing could blow at any time. I knew nothing about nitro other than it made my guy John Force go really fast. I stepped back aways lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember that day. Was standing real close to it and overheard 2 guys talkin that nitro was very unstable at that temperature and the thing could blow at any time. I knew nothing about nitro other than it made my guy John Force go really fast. I stepped back aways lol
Just FYI - Nitromethane itself is not unstable (until you compress it so maybe that's what they meant?) so no need to fear it generally. You can literally throw a match into a puddle of nitromethane and nothing happens (to be clear - I'm NOT suggesting anyone do that), but it doesn't vaporize like gas or alcohol. I don't specifically remember if they had a methanol blend or what % nitromethane in Rated R during those times but I think that's why they couldn't get it started. Nitrometh takes so much energy to start, it won't light off the starter, usually you start on gas and then switch to NM after some ignition heat is built. There is a misnomer that because it has "nitro" in the name, nitromethane is similar to Trinitrotoluene (TNT) (only moderately unstable), nitrocellulose (even more unstable) or nitroglycerine or nitrohydrazine (highly unstable). Nitrometh fuel is basically more stable than gasoline at ambient temp and pressure, and high up on a mountain in the cold (lower atmospheric pressure and lower temp) its like trying to ignite diesel fuel. The animal only wakes up when you compress it and it only becomes a real problem if it doesn't all burn and accumulates in the cylinder. And if memory serves me, I think Rated R's blower had a ballstic kevlar jacket on it that would have contained most of the shrapnel (if that gives you any comfort....hahahaha).

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big Dawg 2006 P4220064.JPG

Big Dawg 2006 P4220111.JPG

Top Bottom