Raptor Shock problem on 15, T3 skid

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run up a bumpy trail for 15 minutes and the rear skid is sagged out, very little suspension remaining. Let it sit for awhile and the suspension comes back to full height.

As the sled sits now it is in my shop with zero sag. Collapses and rebounds as it should.

Anyone run into this problem or any idea what is going on??

I have a call into Jake@Raptor and waiting his call back.

Thanks,

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Mine has done that too.... Am putting the heavy rear coil springs in, and then reset all the raptors with 1/4" preload and factory settings again, and retry....

grampoll

Reaction score
Mine does it with stock shocks. I doubt it's got anything to do with the raptors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a brand new front one last year with no nitrogen in it. That makes things interesting. Bought it from Baker and he gave me a new one.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
When they build the xm's i don't think they take into consideration the weight of an avy pack(upwards of 40lbs, loaded with gear), full jerry can, storage bag(behind jerry can, loaded with tools) etc.... I don't think the rear springs are heavy enough, especially for guys my size 250lbs+ ;) ....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this true for all (most) manufacturers, do you happen to know? If so, I got some major adjustments to do to my kitty.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
Not sure X- TREME? Just know on the Doo's.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds are calibrated at the facory for 160-180lbs. Not for gravity challenged fella's like Ric and I. Lol.

Show me one rider other then a lady or someone's kid that is that weight with all gear? Lol
Then add snow weight and extra fuel and storage?

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you guys are aware im currently producing spring spacer kits for doo's to fix this problem. And I will say they work, I am 255 with no gear. well over 300 with gear and I can now ride the stock spring on setting #3 and still keep the same ride quality as factory. BUT that being said I am going to give 1 set away to one of you I have randomly selected to test them out and give a review back to the S&M community, that way you don't have to take my word for it!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so you guys are aware im currently producing spring spacer kits for doo's to fix this problem. And i will say they work, i am 255 with no gear. Well over 300 with gear and i can now ride the stock spring on setting #3 and still keep the same ride quality as factory. But that being said i am going to give 1 set away to one of you i have randomly selected to test them out and give a review back to the s&m community, that way you don't have to take my word for it!

i would volunteer to put a set on ;) .... Heading out this weekend to mcbride, and probably no worse trail out there, than the renshaw trail, for bumps and whoops....

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would volunteer to put a set on ;) .... Heading out this weekend to mcbride, and probably no worse trail out there, than the renshaw trail, for bumps and whoops....

If Summitric is riding Mcbride this weekend, then I think he should be the one tryin them out. He can update us with his results next week.. I concur, no place better to puttem to the test!!

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you guys are aware im currently producing spring spacer kits for doo's to fix this problem. And I will say they work, I am 255 with no gear. well over 300 with gear and I can now ride the stock spring on setting #3 and still keep the same ride quality as factory. BUT that being said I am going to give 1 set away to one of you I have randomly selected to test them out and give a review back to the S&M community, that way you don't have to take my word for it!

I'm still not grasping the concept of a spacer for the torsion spring eliminating the sag problem?? I apologize for my lack of SMARTNESS!!

When I snow checked my sled the Raptors where to come valved and ready to go for my riding weight. Gear, Fuel and Strorage incl.. I'm thinkin that didn't happen!!!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I would say give a set to Lil Duke and let him pound on them for the season!
Lots of mileage put on there and he is not a small boy!

He will give honest reviews of the product also/

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spring spacer for the torsional springs will help the coil run true. This isn't a new concept, we were putting them on the S-chassis back in the 90's. The issue that you are having with the Raptor shock is it is being overheated as it is being worked like crazy due to the excessive spring travel, which isn't the shock absorber's fault - it is meant to dampen load, not carry it. The fault lies in the stock Summit spring rate, they simply aren't heavy enough for an aggressive or heavy rider, and frankly, mountain sleds aren't trail sleds. In order to get a great trail ride, you would have to sacrifice back country performance (also why crossover sleds don't work well in the deep).
In a nutshell, as the spring heats up from oscillations, it gets weaker, and more load is placed on the damper (shock absorber). ALL manufacturers spring calibrations are designed for a 180 lb rider (out of the crate), whether it be ski-doo, polaris, etc. Hell, my wife rides hard enough that she can over ride the stock suspension on a ProRMK...
The answer is heavier springs, or a complete suspension upgrade. Both will be an improvement over stock, obviously the aftermarket skids will be of higher quality and better performance, as they are custom sprung and valved for your weight and riding style. A quality aftermarket coil over skid is light years ahead of anything offered by the OEM's, but it comes at a price.

Top Bottom