RAM ECO Diesel mileage

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad said he was reading in the diesel power mag that they are working on using electric heaters rather than DEF. Anybody know about this , good or bad?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To heat what? I know some tanks are electrical heating for the def instead of coolant. Maybe that is what he saw?? I haven't heard of anything else but am always interested in what is coming out next.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes g.m since 11 have 3 heaters, one for pump and 2 in the tank

sent while I should be drinking tea's

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad said he was reading in the diesel power mag that they are working on using electric heaters rather than DEF. Anybody know about this , good or bad?

This is referring to using electric heat to regenerate the particulate filter instead of using diesel fuel to burn off the soot, this is a completely different part of the emissions equipment. But I believe this technology is a long way out, it takes an enormous amount of power to drive an alternator large enough to produce the same amount of heat that burning diesel fuel does.

But having a Selective Reduction Catalyst that uses DEF fluid reduces the need for active regens, because the SCR now takes care of NOx emissions the engine can run much hotter Exhaust Gas Temperatures that significantly approve the effectiveness of passive regeneration. This reduces fuel consumption due to active regenerations, making it less crucial to develop a different system for regeneration such as an electric system. So I think DEF is here to stay.

Take the 6.4 vs 6.7 Powerstrokes for example, the new 6.7 with DEF is about 20% better on fuel than the 6.4 without DEF, this is in part due to the fact that the 6.7 can have higher EGT's and take advantage of passive regeneration to clean the particulate filter, while the 6.4 must use significant amounts of fuel to burn off the soot in its filter.

Also as mentioned above using DEF also reduces the need for EGR and helps to reduce the maintenance associated with this system.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 355

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I am not sure how they plan to get the temps that high to do a regen, but if they can get rid of def and using fuel to burn it would be a big step.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Computer was reading 9.5 L/100 km this morning but the fought the wind all the way to edmonton this morning on hiway 2 at 120 km/h so brought it up to 10L/100 by the time I filled up. Hand calculating it's got 9.3L/100 this tank which is better than last tank by a little bit. Would have been better without the wind but that happens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 279

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Off topic I know but I read can't remember were think it was truck news that the whole def thing is worse for the enviro than no emission control at all.
Now they are scrambling to figure how they are going to release that info to public and all the def needing unit owners out there
Could be a huge refit on millions of units

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
niner can you use a gps, or the gps in your smartphone, to confirm the speedo is accurate?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just as a comparison I have basically the same truck but with the hemi and 6 speed. My mileage is coming up now that summer is here and I am not using the remote starter. On that same tank of fuel I will get about 725kms. If I go to empty which will take just over 100L I can get to 800kms. You need to haul a 4000 pound trailer running 110-120kmh and see what it does. That would be a good comparison.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic I know but I read can't remember were think it was truck news that the whole def thing is worse for the enviro than no emission control at all.
Now they are scrambling to figure how they are going to release that info to public and all the def needing unit owners out there
Could be a huge refit on millions of units

Well I dont doubt that overall the def think may be worse....there sure is a lot of empty def jugs in the ditches in the bush where i work...

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
niner can you use a gps, or the gps in your smartphone, to confirm the speedo is accurate?
I haven't checked with GPS but in town here they have the radar screen that shows speed and my cruise was at 51 km/h and screen showed 50 km/h. I do have a gps so I will check it at 110 km/ h. That's a good idea.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just as a comparison I have basically the same truck but with the hemi and 6 speed. My mileage is coming up now that summer is here and I am not using the remote starter. On that same tank of fuel I will get about 725kms. If I go to empty which will take just over 100L I can get to 800kms. You need to haul a 4000 pound trailer running 110-120kmh and see what it does. That would be a good comparison.
I did pull my wakeboard boat which is 3400 lbs for 1 hr and it averaged about 12.5L/100. Pulled it no problem. The 30 ft bumper pull RV will be the true test for power. My fuel light just went on when I pulled into the pumps and my distance to empty was 80 km.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right there is huge. Loaded with my enclosed my mileage will down to 22-24 liters per 100k if I am going fast

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I tow my 24 ft toy hauler, which is right around 8000 lbs, ill get 27 L/100km. That's at 110km/hr. If I drop to 107, which seems to be the sweet spot ill get 23-24 L/100km. I have a Hemi with a 6 speed and a cold air intake and a magnaflow exhaust.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing my enclosed yesterday with one quad, which is about 3000-3300 lbs I check the instant mileage and on a flat road doing 110 is was 22-24l per 100k. So the new diesel is good if you are getting that kind of mileage loaded.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mileage on morning drive to work. Filled up at Lacombe and punched reset at the pump. Ideal conditions no wind cruise at 107. 5 start and stops along the way. Sorry if your tired of seeing my mileage, but I'm so impressed. I feel like a doo guy pushing his doo-aid!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 216

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope it is a good engine longevity wise. It seems like a nice improvement over the new cummins in the bigger trucks. It seems like it would be a good engine in a 1ton for a guy like me that doesn't haul a lot and uses it for a daily driver.

Top Bottom