Race Gas

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what race gas folks are running in boosted sleds with AFR gauges? I've heard that leaded fuel (which most of the popular race gas seems to be) wrecks the o2 sensor. But VP's unleaded race gas is oxygenated, which means ethenol I think, which I have always avoided.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't. So should I just run leaded race until I've got it tuned and then pull the O2? I was hoping to keep running the O2 just to give me a comfort that nothing funny is going on with my MPI Gems fuel box.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran VP C12 on my Alpine Nytro this year. Never had any issues with my air/fuel gauge.

Thinking of running straight AV gas in it though......not sure what that will do to the air/fuel sensor.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything I have hear is it eventually kills the o2 head.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, your right about that....maybe I'm over engineering this!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
New 02 sensors for Harley's are about $30.00 each and I replace them every couple seasons on a highly a modified build. Don't know what the sensors for your sled are worth but would think they're probably in line with that?

Is your sled boosted Shawn?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it will be by this Saturday, I'm just waiting for a few parts my MPI charger kit was missing.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our wonderful goverment is passing some new regulations on fuel that will mean all race gas will have to have about 75% less lead in it than it does now. These new reg are supposed to be in affect by next season. So all the race gas guys will be coming out with new blends of fuels.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey can some one tell me why there has to be lead in gas? why does airplanes (piston engines, not Jet) need low lead yet my car doesnt! back in the old days it had to do with the valve train (I think)..... but today ?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool! You'll have to let me know how that works out? :cool:

Will do!

JoHNI_T said:
egineers eh lol

nice buddy,, do you think you will get it on snow this year?? whens the ride planned?

I'm hoping to get a few rides out of it yet this year. I'm hoping 2-3 more rides left in the season! Should have it all together by the end of the weekend then I'll plan a trip...lots of snow out there yet!

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey can some one tell me why there has to be lead in gas? why does airplanes (piston engines, not Jet) need low lead yet my car doesnt! back in the old days it had to do with the valve train (I think)..... but today ?

Just a guess, i think alot of the plane engines back in the day that burnt the lead fuel are still burning fuel...... lots of old planes still flying...... can't really answer your question, just stating an observation........

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stats that i've been told is that the aviation industry is excempt from the new regulations coming in. And they actually consume about 98% of the leaded fuel coming into our country. I think if nothing else they should be spending money on making the plane engines alot more efficient and cleaner burning instead of wasting time on the 2% of leaded gas that is used buy the general public.

Top Bottom