Quitting

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was time...legs were starting to give me issues...quit cold turkey for 1 year once before but started back..this is last time...cant make excuses anymore or gona find my butt in a wheel chair...never been a fan of nicorete sprays ect...you wana get that crap outa yer system..not drag it on...non nicoteen vapo ciggys a help this time...use if l realy have a moment ....nice not to have ashs everywhere
bottom line for me ..it was time..if l didn't quit was gona find myself on a road l didna wana travel

ps...have had time off since end nov and not back to work till this weekend...big key for me was havein time off..if l got mean an nasty or lost would just crawl up on couch and go to sleep...after first couple days was fine...don't drink either so that's a small godsend lol

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks mate I'm done with it now I hope taking everyday at a time.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.
I'm 3.5 months mow, and had a major craving today. I didn't give in, and tomorrow is another day. It is hard to quit, but every day without is a good day :)

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow marks 5 years smoke free for me. It doesn't sound like a big accomplishment anymore, but to put things into perspective....I smoked a pack a day religiously. If there was booze involved, that could double as easy as falling off a log. A full carton would very seldomly last me a long weekend, so to do a rough average over the year, I'd say I sucked back 1.25-1.5 packs per day. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 56,000-67,500 cigarettes that I didn't ingest over the last five years. Aside from the obvious health benefits of quitting, at $0.40 a smoke...works out to be a fair good chunk of change. Quitting has definitely cost me some cash in other areas....I've grown a little more than a tad in the waistline, but I'd rather be fat than dead.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Feb 15th was 4 months of no smoking for me, and after today at work..... I really wanted to buy a pack!!!

A question for the reformed smokers.

When you quit, did you get feelings of chest compressions, every now and then?
The kind of feeling like you just smoked 3 packs in 2 days, but then the next day you feel fine?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Feb 15th was 4 months of no smoking for me, and after today at work..... I really wanted to buy a pack!!!

A question for the reformed smokers.

When you quit, did you get feelings of chest compressions, every now and then?
The kind of feeling like you just smoked 3 packs in 2 days, but then the next day you feel fine?

I quit for two years and really got back into shape. Dropped 25 pounds and was riding 400KMs per week on my bicycle. I was in the best shape of my life (well 25 years anyway). Took a two week break after I finished the MS Bike Tour (200 KMs in 2 days). I woke up in the middle of the night with a burning sensation in my lungs kinda like getting a face full of smoke around a campfire. Long story short - it was a heart attack. Don't f around. Get it checked out. Turns out it wasn't my first HA but I brushed the warning signs off. Be smarter than me...

After sticking in a bunch of stents to open those clogged arteries I now feel great. No sh*t man - get it checked.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I quit for two years and really got back into shape. Dropped 25 pounds and was riding 400KMs per week on my bicycle. I was in the best shape of my life (well 25 years anyway). Took a two week break after I finished the MS Bike Tour (200 KMs in 2 days). I woke up in the middle of the night with a burning sensation in my lungs kinda like getting a face full of smoke around a campfire. Long story short - it was a heart attack. Don't f around. Get it checked out. Turns out it wasn't my first HA but I brushed the warning signs off. Be smarter than me...

After sticking in a bunch of stents to open those clogged arteries I now feel great. No sh*t man - get it checked.
Good to hear that you are doing better, and I will take your advice.

Thank you

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 weeks tomorrow. Smoked for 19 yrs. some days are easy.. Some not so much. Gaining 3lbs a week. F f s might have to actually exercise..

apex88

Reaction score
Great to here all the success stories guys.
12 weeks for me, about the 9th attempt in 37years! Tried every thing under the sun, cold turkey, Gum, patches, Zyban, Champix, Hypnotism, Acupuncture.
Longest I ever made was 9 months, and usually gained about 20 pounds.
I believe I never really wanted to quit for the right reasons! My Health! Instead it was always social or financial reasons.

Over the past few years the lung capacity has gone for s--t. 37 years of pack and a half/day taking its toll.
Use to have difficulty breathing when I got stuck in the mountains, last winter, just riding winded me! Or tying my shoes!
I have 3 sons that I love to ride with in the mountains and want to continue spending this time with them for as long as possible.
So my health and family became the driving factor this time, and I must say that it has been incredibly easy to quit this time! As I really wanted to quit.
Used the patch for 6 weeks, other than some insomnia, no withdrawal symptoms or weight gain.
Learned a bit over the years, so this time I went on a diet first, lost 20 pounds then quit. So far, been able to keep losing a few pounds too.

Not wanting to sound like a preacher, as I may not have this beat yet, but I believe you will know when its time to quit for the right reasons, your health, until then I believe that your wasting your time trying!
Just my philosophy!
Trashy, yes I've had those chest pains a few times too.
Bogger, you should be safe hanging with Dale in Red Deer, he would never encourage you start smoking
Cousin Dale, did you quit yet?

Oh Yah, 2 trips to the hills, 6 days of riding, and I can get p--ckng stuck and dig out with the best of them now!!
Keep up the good work everyone!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought my last pack on thursday last week. this is probably the 5th or 6th go at it, longest I've been tobacco free for maybe 25 years. I'm fawkin done for reals this time.

I'm vaping up a storm
three weeks tobacco free. hangin in there

Top Bottom