Quitting

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's quit smoking, with what method, and how'd it work for ya ?

I think I'm going to have to be the, just throw them away. cold turkey guy. Mostly because I think the patch and what not is just weak.

Any and all welcome

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LoL Nicotine addiction is tougher than you think. Good luck with that. ;)

Champix makes quiting very easy.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used the patch and same with the wife 5 weeks and that was all.... and no cheating

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are really ready to quit then you shouldn't need to use anything, if you're not nothing will help. I've been 7 years next month, cold turkey.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the patch. This is the third time I've tried to quit, but this time I did it by the book...I picked a quit date, and stuck to it. Started with the 21mg patch for 3 weeks, then dropped to the 14mg, then the 7mg. 6 weeks in total, pain in the arse, but it worked. I'm 14.5 months smoke free. The worst thing for me was driving. As soon as I got into a vehicle, I would crave a smoke. My quit date was also the same day as I bought my new truck, so I never associated the truck with smoking. Watching my girls, and thinking that I'm not going to be around a whole lot longer, also helped the quit process. We travel quite a bit, so the freedom of not having to go in and out of airport security to have a smoke is also a huge bonus.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quite cold turkey 8 yrs ago, probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I found changing my routine completely made the difference. Get up later in the morning so you don't have time to sit with a coffee and have a smoke. At coffee and lunch, sit in a different area or change the time you go slightly. I still enjoy the smell of other peoples cigarettes, especially when playing poker and having a few beers. Now that I've beat it, nothing would make me start again.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quit cold turkey Dec 12th 2005 at 5pm,.. I said to my wife I couldn't have a new truck and smoke at the same time,.. So after 7 months, I bought my new truck on my birthday July 17 2006, and have been smoke free since.

I smoked for 15yrs before I quit,.. I still think about it every now and then, but then look at my family and realize it was for more than just a truck.

Good luck :beer:

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one month today without a captain black,(that made my mouth water typing that)dont quit and never throw out keep em around so you know you can have if you want ,i keep a couple stashed in the shop for emergancy use have not had to use yet,my wife asked if i quit as she had not seen me have one for a few days ,i said no i stopped for a bit :beer:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good ideas guys....thanks.

I have been smoking since the age of 11, and am 42 now, I have quit (or slowed down) for a four month period a few years back, then stupidly started again after witnessing a very good friend go thru a near motorcycle riding ending accident and 14 hr reconstructive surgery. Shitty excuse to start again, but seemed justified at the time.

I, as of late, tried zyban with the results of wicked headaches, and psyco-killer dreams. I stopped takin' that chit. I have not tried champix, though have heard it has the same side-effects as zyban, so probably won't bother.

I just needed to hear that there were a few that have succesfully, just put them down, and walked away...........thanks.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still smoking tryed champix it was like doing bad LSD threw the figgin pils in the garbage
Next atempt will be cold turkey

Had a good friend try this and he did do the whole program through to the end and it worked for him because he said if he tryed to have a smoke the champix made the smokes taste like shat

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a friend that quit used laser therapy, went for one session hasn't smoked since, used to smoke 2 packs a day it's been two years now, I'm gonna try it this summer

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
april 25 1999 Mother died from lung cancer, berfore she passed made me promise to quit smoking. My Granma reminded me a few months later of my promise to my mom. That New Years I smoked my last smoke at 11:59 pm Dec 31. Cold Turkey(3rd time trying.) lots of water and chewing gum. Stay away from the bars(ok now its not so bad with non smoking bars and pubs) avoid situations that require a smoke. It is tough but it has been 11 years.:shots:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am 43 & started smoking around 17. I will and have always loved to smoke. The flavour, relaxing, stress relief, with beer or coffee. but it DOESN'T taste good after a meal(maybe an hour later).

I tried Zyban, about 15yrs ago when it first came out. I quit in the middle of the day, and in the middle of a pack, and then quit Zyban the next day. About a month later after a good/bad night in the bar at the Blind Pig Pub(St.Albert) I started smoking again :mad:

Since then..... I have tried; cold turkey, patch, gum, champex, laser, accupunture(sp*), and any other way.

I am currently on my 2nd week of Zyban again. I know it worked for me before, and I know it will work again :D Yes...... the dreams are there!!! I take 1 @ 6am, and 1 @ 3pm. My sleeps have been decent, dreams a little fawked up. I get the occassion dissy spell, but that about it.

But HEY!!!!! Whatever method works for you. Good on you :D I'm on my way too :beer: :beer: :D

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i dont want to talk about my smoking lol ive tried lots of times the best i did was a month. I do want to give up its a waste of money i know but god its hard smoking should be ilegal. It must be one of the hardest things to give up i will try again soon i think. Good luck to you guys hope you do it i started late dont know wy i was 19 im now 32.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just came back from vegas and down there i bought my wife the fake smoke it works on water vapor she loves it u take a drag from it and u still blow out smoke so she is slowly starting to quit and use the fake one more :d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Last April I woke up one night with trouble breathing so I said fawk it and started taking my nicorette lozenges they made quitting easy.... I lasted 2 months then started having a cigar etc... and soon back to full time...idiot move

time to get back on it

Fawking Keyboard......

Top Bottom