Quick 9r review

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing like fixing your tunnel and bumper, makes you wonder if springing for a heli is cheaper.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on that note, 9R loves to drink fuel, maybe its from revving at 8400 but it is noticeably more than my 850

That's surprising, I didn't notice much of a difference from my 850 to 9r for fuel consumption, just slightly more but nothing like the boost. Feels like it uses a fair bit of oil when it's deep though. I had one day where I had to tip my sled to give gas to my buddy on a boost that was double stacking jerry's.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's surprising, I didn't notice much of a difference from my 850 to 9r for fuel consumption, just slightly more but nothing like the boost. Feels like it uses a fair bit of oil when it's deep though. I had one day where I had to tip my sled to give gas to my buddy on a boost that was double stacking jerry's.
I am still on break-in so probably part of it. Finally getting back out this weekend after healing up from an injury.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the G5 turbos are awesome, helps the old timers like maxwell keep up to guys like Johnny on 9R's
I'm older than Maxwell and can second that a turbo helps me get to the places my son and the other silly tree riders like to play while I drive around and warm up my lunch and keep an eye on all of them. Couldn't justify a Gen 5 though. Doesn't matter which brand it is; a turbo keeps things interesting at times. :Snowmobile1:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm older than Maxwell and can second that a turbo helps me get to the places my son and the other silly tree riders like to play while I drive around and warm up my lunch and keep an eye on all of them. Couldn't justify a Gen 5 though. Doesn't matter which brand it is; a turbo keeps things interesting at times. :Snowmobile1:

Oh you young kids, used my pension cheques to pay for my turbo.
And hell ya the turbos make it soooo much easier to get around.
The deeper and steeper the more they shine!

Good gawd my spelin scks

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the hp of the 9R and boost?

Nope, its a mystical number that noooo body knows. Polaris certainly wont tell you. Their marketing department will use reverse phycology to make you think your purchase is faster than the competition by using random percentages but in reality they don't say because they know their numbers are LOW.

They will use phrases like "best power to weight" without actually telling you what the HP is so you cant figure it out for yourself.

the patriot 9R is 7% more power than the 850 Patriot.
the Patriot Boost is 50% more power than the 850 patriot at 10k feet

now, for ONE MILLION DOLLARS what is the Horsepower of the 850 Patriot Boost?

would anyone like to use a lifeline?
phone a friend?

I've got 500$ to anyone that can give me an HP number for the polaris 850 Patriot Directly from the POLARIS website. Afterall, this is the engine they are basing ALL of their power claims on. Shouldn't it be posted?

goes to show how good their marketing is that people will spend 27000$ on a machine without even knowing what the HP is.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Maxwell does it piss you off when JH schools you in the trees on a sled that you don’t know the horse power of? Asking for a friend

i mean if you live in revy you should be able to school an old fat guy like me on a Tundra. So it doesnt bother me much LOL

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day people would put sleds on the dyno.

Guess nobody does that any more?

3rd party dyno results have proven to be inconsistent. What I'm interested in is what the manufacturers are willing to publish because if they are willing to put that number on the line against their reputation you know damn well its not going to read any less than that number on ANY dyno

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3rd party dyno results have proven to be inconsistent. What I'm interested in is what the manufacturers are willing to publish because if they are willing to put that number on the line against their reputation you know damn well its not going to read any less than that number on ANY dyno

Id be more interested in a forum member throwing their personal sled on the dyno then, snow west or some thing.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
You mean like when Doo said the 800 etec was 160. Then the 850 was 164, 14 more than the 800. Oh and had a smaller fuel tank than XM but you could actually fill it up so you got more fuel. Kind of like that?

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean like when Doo said the 800 etec was 160. Then the 850 was 164, 14 more than the 800. Oh and had a smaller fuel tank than XM but you could actually fill it up so you got more fuel. Kind of like that?

That is only 4 hp more.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a good rider, and my 800 Cat is almost stock, and yet I was out climbing an 850 Doo, so don't believe they are all hellfire powerful.

Top Bottom