Questions About Trailers

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably going to be in the market for a trailer (maybe not this year due to prices) but maybe next year.

Would like to haul at least 2 sleds. if it were possible to put a third in reverse great but its not a must.
for sure enclosed, or maybe one of those trailers with a cap or cover over it so its like an enclosed trailer (i guess cheaper version)
sleds have reverse so we dont need the front to open, i dont really see the point in having that side man door. maybe if it was one of the big trailers
im assuming its better to have two axles on the trailer but its not required really, especially for a small trailer
door for fueling would obviously be nice
some kind of decent floor so it doesnt rot away and the carbides dont damage it. probalby just add the guides
im thinking the ability to heat would be nice to thaw sleds out a bit but I am thinking that adds $$$ big time and maybe isnt done on those smaller sleds.

you can likely tell i havent bought a trailer before and no I wouldnt be the one towing the unit and the truck is plenty big enough for this application.

whats a good trailer that isnt a burandt edition price tag craziness that a guy should look at. What are some things that you think are a must have and what are some thing that are just really nice?

thanks for any input and happy sledding!

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 18ft fits 2 175 s frontwards and backed in a 163 was a little tight but gotter...front v door has been siezed for yrs but would recommend a side man door for fueling. I don't think I have ever seen a single axel 18ft enclosed...

Darrell D

Reaction score
Been using a 18 foot enclosed cargo mate for 10 years now. It will haul 3 long tracks, very basic nothing fancy. Added supergluides to protect the floor. If i were buying again i would just get a 18 foot + V front without a folding door.
That would provide a little more room,probably pull a little better. Again nothing fancy.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a 27 ft you could fit 4 in easy, and a 21 ft interstate you could easily get 3 in both were heavy pulled nice with a diesel truck. I also have a 21' x 7' inline all aluminum you could get 3 in there all drove in from the front. this year i bought a 6 x 13 plus 1.5' v (cost was $5000) one 163 in front wards one backed in the sleds don't hit the walls or rub on each other(174s would also fit). Not a lot of room to walk around inside when loaded but it keeps every thing clean and it pulls nice with a 1/2 ton. I plan on putting a diesel air heater in it from amazon.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I have the perfect set up it’s a 12 plus v so 16’ also has extra long hitch so you can haul 2 on the deck has heat cabs tool box all up front can put three if needed but rarely do I had the floor sprayed by armascott on here and it’s indestructible it’s also fully insulated
fb47e179616c3069107cdb3fb6ca2c66.jpg
fb47e179616c3069107cdb3fb6ca2c66.jpg

bc1592385a7e229f81eedd3f0a569e49.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Southland line of trailers made in Alberta can get them in Steel or Aluminum

We have a Royal built by Southland. Very happy with the trailer

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find that in my case anyway, there is what you want, what you think you need and what you actually need. I bought an aluminum 12 foot V nose open trailer and it has been used a few times. As I go meet up with a group of guys. I usually just use my pickup bed.

Before I would buy, I would look at renting. Trailers unlimited in Edmonton has a very nice rental selection of enclosed trailers. I would suggest it is worth renting to see if you have a favorite size. We rented a 6 X 18 for a move. Pulled beautiful and you didn't know it was there.

I needed a small enclosed to haul some equipment and picked up a 5 X 12. Conveniently my 154 fits in quite nicely. Trailer only weighs 650 pounds empty.

Worth a look anyway. https://www.shuttletrailers.ca/trailer-rentals/#1519104938170-0b582aec-e302

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year I picked up this 12 footer, made by Alcom. Only good for 2 sleds but that's what i wanted. Empty it weighs in around 1000# so easy to move around by hand. Don't need a storage lot to park, it stays in my backyard. Nothing fancy, no heat, etc. all I've done is add glides and a few hooks to hang up gear. It was used many times last season. After using open trailers for many years, this by far has been one of those things, "why the heck didn't i do this sooner?"
Anyways not the big fancy rig, but works perfectly for my needs.

Attachments

• 20200105_113039 (3).jpg
    20200105_113039 (3).jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 220
  • BS20200208_095617 (2).jpg
    BS20200208_095617 (2).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200105_132321 (3).jpg
    20200105_132321 (3).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 219

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah im thinking that would be about perfect. Heat would be nice to thaw out sleds a bit on those cold trips but Ive never had it before so WTF

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 - 163's fit easy in my 16' sidewall (+ v-nose) with lots of room at the front for luggage (beer). Don't think getting 174's in would be a problem. 2 in forward, and third backs in the middle between the first 2.
If I was being budget conscious, I would probably start with an enclosed that is not insulated and has no panels inside. Easy enough to add electrical, insulation and line it later if you don't have to remove a bunch of stuff first.

spetzy01

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone would know if you can fit 4 mountain sleds (155 - 163) in a 8.5 x 18' with 4' V (22 ft total). Found a good deal on one but would like to haul 4 mountain sleds. Just wondering if anyone has tried this? I have a 7' x 23' right now and fits 3 mountain sleds plus some room for gear, just looking for something to fit 4.

Treerider

Reaction score
We had a Charmac Snowsport that was 18' in the box and a wide 5' v-nose. Great trailer. Just over 8 ' wide. We had a 155' Axys, 159' Vertical Escape and a 163'' Pro in that trailer and the chance of putting another 155" in there was not going to happen. Put them in facing anyway you want and it's not going to happen. Stack and rack them and someone's sled is going to take some body damage. Ask for pics if anyone is getting 4 155'-163' sleds into a 18' box trailer. Just my $0.02

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a pile of money on a trailer a few years back. Yes it was awesome but I learned even the coin flooring upgrade gets cut by the carbides. I also placed Superglides in the high traffic areas so that it wouldn't. But they suck to walk on if using all seasons. If I was doing it again I'd save the money and have the normal marine plywood with no Superglides. Both of those add up to be spendy. Just change out your carbides to the steel ski runners, save yourself a bunch of money. Unless you plan on going lake racing.

16'x8' plus V is perfect for 2 and occasional 3 sleds. I'd recommend the man door so you don't have to flip down the back door to enter when fueling up. If the man door is on the correct side you don't need a fuel door.

edit: lots of great info/ideas in this thread
https://www.snowandmud.com/tow-vehi...hem/55213-enclosed-35.html?highlight=enclosed

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 years ago I bought a legend 7 x 15 single axle enclosed from firefly. its all aluminum, I insulated it and threw a 35000 RV furnace in it. Its 12' on the straight and a 3 ft v nose. I threw in some storage cabinets in the front, and put on a fold away hitch.One sled in forwards, one backwards. Love it! I even use it for camping in the summer.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 years ago I bought a legend 7 x 15 single axle enclosed from firefly. its all aluminum, I insulated it and threw a 35000 RV furnace in it. Its 12' on the straight and a 3 ft v nose. I threw in some storage cabinets in the front, and put on a fold away hitch.One sled in forwards, one backwards. Love it! I even use it for camping in the summer.
That is the exact trailer I'm after right now. They still make that size\configuration?

Top Bottom