quading and random camping around whitecourt

hardcorex

Reaction score
looking for a good spot to go for long weekend around whitecourt or fox creek. anybody have any good ideas?

Leewilhelms

Reaction score
windfall is good, you will see the sign about 15-20 KM north of Whitecourt towards Fox Creek turn south here, there is a free camp site (if not full)just across the Athabasca river about 1-2 km up the road on the left, or you can keep going up the road, should be a sand pit area on the right up a bit father or you can head up to the windfall town site plus lots of little spots you can turn off on. Lots and Lots of trails and nice area, the Semcam road is getting rough so might need to go slow down it if pulling anything, * the town site is about 15 km down the road, will see the semcam site on your left, turn right there where the road comes to a T intersection, then about 1/2 to 1 km down the road you will almost drive straight into a huge clearing area( good for 20 plus campers) this is the town site.

dracer

Reaction score
Does it get very busy up there was thinking heading out on Saturday thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leewilhelms

Reaction score
it can, depending on weather but nothing major, almost always room at the town site as it is quite large, if wanting to get by the Athabasca river though it can be tough, more and more people are just leaving their campers there since it is free, but think there is around 12 sites there. Good luck think we are heading out to Christmas creek area north of Blue ridge, that can be fun but have heard the harvesting of trees this winter has buggered up a bunch of trails.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
it can, depending on weather but nothing major, almost always room at the town site as it is quite large, if wanting to get by the Athabasca river though it can be tough, more and more people are just leaving their campers there since it is free, but think there is around 12 sites there. Good luck think we are heading out to Christmas creek area north of Blue ridge, that can be fun but have heard the harvesting of trees this winter has buggered up a bunch of trails.

Camps can only be setup for 14 days in one spot, then by law they have to be moved or removed.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
That rule gets ignored in the Crowsnest area especially in the Beaver Mines Lake area. We saw nothing but all the best spots taken up by trailers left all summer. Pissed us off when we realized that, we had a hell of a time trying to get a decent spot. Found out from locals that most of the trailers belonged to people from Cowtown.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot of enforcement is complaint driven. A few calls to ESRD might produce results.

You are 100% correct Mitch. If people don't phone them in they don't get addressed. ESRD does not have enough budget to patrol all the areas of this province.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a bit more info on this thread. I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted here. I'm wondering how rowdy the camping gets up that Windfall Road. I traveled up there the other day on my way home from a business trip, I'm looking to head out there with my wife and 2 small kids to do some exploring with the side x side. From what I found, the old Windfall town site and up a bit more by the creek seems to be the only places to get a travel trailer in. Anybody camped there with there families? How is it?

bigmikeystylez

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a bit more info on this thread. I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted here. I'm wondering how rowdy the camping gets up that Windfall Road. I traveled up there the other day on my way home from a business trip, I'm looking to head out there with my wife and 2 small kids to do some exploring with the side x side. From what I found, the old Windfall town site and up a bit more by the creek seems to be the only places to get a travel trailer in. Anybody camped there with there families? How is it?

Sorry to strip up an old post.....but i am interested in the exact same thing

A place to random camp near whitecourt , with our travel trailer, and we pull a 2nd truck with trailer with our quads.

would love to find a nice area near whitecourt to camp/quad right from where we are camped

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Windfall is not bad just don’t go on a long weekend...... few trails around but not a lot of riding for small kids quads .......
the old town site is about 1/5km past the bridge on your right. There is also a spot about 1/4 km past the bridge on your left.
Depending where your coming from swan hills might be a better choice for quiet and kid friendly.

bigmikeystylez

Reaction score
ok thank you......................is there any other decent places near whitecourt to random camp & quad?

Are the trails near windfall too tough for a youth quad? Its a 125cc (kids are 10/11)

craggar2011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we went to Windfall we found a few trails that would be ok for kids but not many. Later that day we met up with some people from the ATV club up there and where they took us you definitely wouldn't want to take your kids, lots of muskeg.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I camp out there a lot I have phoned in complaints about people leaving there RV’s for long periods of time and nothing ever gets done same as the grad kids go out there to party all fine in my books but damn they leave a mess

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Windfall is not bad just don’t go on a long weekend...... few trails around but not a lot of riding for small kids quads .......
the old town site is about 1/5km past the bridge on your right. There is also a spot about 1/4 km past the bridge on your left.
Depending where your coming from swan hills might be a better choice for quiet and kid friendly.

Can anyone share some places to go around Swan Hills?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will recommend a camping spot for a family. Try Trapper Leas on hwy 33 (halfway between Swan Hills and Ft. Assinaboine). Mixed trails there, really nasty or nice and easy. We toodel through there during hunting season in jeans and hikers. no mud on our route.
To get to that trail, look across the highway from the campground entrance. left of the gully you will see a break in the trees. That takes you to the pipeline (not a bad ride, but you will have to go around a couple mud holes, detour in the ditch), then immediately to your right the trail goes into the trees. One small spot may be an issue for a kids quad, but the rest of the ride is nice and clean. It all high packed trail, a former logging road I think. There is a beaver dam further down, stay to the left, right beside the dam and avoid downstream of the dam. Its getting a bit ugly there. Further up you will pass an old wrecked car on the right, go slow or you'll miss it! Its been there since the area was logged in the 40's. This trail ends at another. Turn right, its a nice high grade trail that goes down to the river (At the bottom of the hill there is a big water puddle. Solid bottom, just lots of shallow water) The river bank is a good place for a break. There a re a couple other little loops down there, all loop back to the main. going back, the high grade will take you all the way back to the high way about 1.5km from the campground. You can take the pipeline back, or ride the ditch.
If you ride around the campground, stay off the grass!

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking at coming that way for long weekend. Haven’t been in many many years. Is the eagle area still open. South on hwy 32 ?

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to be camped in the old gravel pit by the big field in the windfall may long

Top Bottom