Purchasing a 4K TV...suggestions?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hockey season is getting close so looking to buy a 55 4K tv, options and suggestions would be much appreciated as this 4K thing is new too me. Also liking the curved screen. Thinking under 1500 bucks.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Double Diamond in Edmonton.
They don't have a showroom but they will beat everyones prices by lots.

Go to Visions and figure out what you want and then call double diamond with the exact model # for their price.

Or just call double diamond to see what they have in stock or what they recommend.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just had a look at there website, I will be visiting real soon , thx for the heads up

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of it depends what you are upgrading from. If you have an old 40-50" 60hz LCD any new 55"+ LED is going to be a visual upgrade be it entry level or high end.

Set a budget and stick to it but if you like extended warranties factor that in. Look up the differences to back lit panels and edge lit. Get a few model #'s and plug them into google. See what the average review is. Take into consideration some people are just never happy.

If you don't watch Netflix online through the TV expect to pay more bucks for a 4K high def DVD player if you want to watch movies. Then find out if your current cable box is 4K. With only a select few 4K channels like TSN 4K and then only a few fringe shows being recorded in 4K you have to consider that.

Most people will never notice the difference between a high end non 4K and a 4K set. There is some motion blur effects that make it appear clearer on standard HD feeds on the 4K and increases the frame rate. Some people don't like it.

I am not a picky guy when it comes to the actual quality of the display. I just wanted the biggest screen at the cheapest price. Visions had 65" LG's on for $1200ish. Walked in and agreed to take the 5 yr warranty and they knocked off another $200 off the price.

When dealing with those guys they make bonus cash on the extended warranties. Don't suggest the warranty to them at first. Get a price you like and then if they ask you about the warranty tell them you will do the warranty if they can do better on the price or include something like maybe a new centre channel speaker set. You may be surprised how quickly the price gets adjusted in your favour.

I have always had great success with Samsung. This is my first LG. My last Sharp wasn't great and Sony has gone downhill since they stopped making Tubes.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that's a review lol, I'm not sold on 4g , like you said a non 4 g led with optics and 120 mz frame rate is a pretty Awsome pic, I'm looking for a good pic and a big screen for hockey games, the jump in price just isn't enough of an improvement for me too be sold, the 4g thing isn't necessary , just don't want too get too far behind.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung 4K and really like it. The 9000 series were the ones to get, but that was a couple of years ago, I'm not sure what the top rated ones are today. As mentioned above, Unless you find a receiver or DVD player that has 4K capacity then you're not viewing 4K. I believe X Box is 4K so you can watch movies on that. I've noticed that the 4K movies are quite a bit more expensive as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that's a review lol, I'm not sold on 4g , like you said a non 4 g led with optics and 120 mz frame rate is a pretty Awsome pic, I'm looking for a good pic and a big screen for hockey games, the jump in price just isn't enough of an improvement for me too be sold, the 4g thing isn't necessary , just don't want too get too far behind.

Its not so much a review, just an unbiased opinion as I don't see the value in $4000 TV's lol. But someone will tell you how much better the viewing experience is because that's what they have.

I read this when I went looking. It somewhat supported my notion of get the largest cheapest one I liked. Since I could not get a non 4K 65" I got the one I did.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can garrrentee 4000 dollar tv isn't happinn, would kill my sled budget haha, I'm liking 55 inch Samsung in the 1200 dollar range , after looking T the availability of 4K channels, ( 4K is new too me) seems like a waste for now

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 64" Samsung last year, first tv I bought since the days of rear projection, seems to work good. Takes a bit of getting used to. Originally wanted the curve but opted out due to room size and it made me feel a little woozy lol

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4k panels are pretty mainstream now. Price has come down big time.

8K is out now if you wanna be the first on that.

But it might have a weak bulkhead.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/01...s-now-that-we-all-have-4k/?sr_source=Facebook

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can spend the extra money on 4K but before you do, find out if your cable or satellite provider offer any 4K programing. If not then you will not see any difference.

If you are watching hocket, there is a 65" Haier (they actually manufacture for a bunch of the big players including LG) at Costco for $750. Take a look at them and you will likely wonder why you would drop the extra grand. After all, you need beer money right?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Double Diamond in Edmonton.
They don't have a showroom but they will beat everyones prices by lots.

Go to Visions and figure out what you want and then call double diamond with the exact model # for their price.

Or just call double diamond to see what they have in stock or what they recommend.

Is John still around or did one of his son's take over? I think he had afew kid's but dont know
for sure.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Lyle,

who is your cable provider? do they offer true 4K signal out of their Set Top Box? We bought a 60" 4K TV just after Christmas, and if you get true 4K signal (youtube, or other online provider) it's spectacular, but the 1080 Signal from my set top box is still just that 1080.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thx , not really sure about anything and you know how techy I am lol, I just want too watch football and hockey . We have optic tv and Telus said we need too upgrade too 4 k too boost our internet speed . Our speed is too slow for my Kodi box lol

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need a bigger updated tv as well got a good 42 but my 60 needs replacing

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a bigger updated tv as well got a good 42 but my 60 needs replacing

Have a 37" 780P taking up space. First case of beer takes it away lol

Probably cost me more then a case to get rid of it

catmando

Super Moderator