Pro's and Cons of moving to Golden

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there a few times. Like the smallish town feel and the fact that there is a ski hill there to living the town up a bit. My company would fly me to either calgary or edmonton so Calgary -> Golden isn't that far of a drive.

I would still be able to ride in Golden and then I could always drive the hour down to revy if I wanted.

Let's hear why you guys would or wouldn't move to Golden

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mosquitos are horrible there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wildreaper

Reaction score
You will be @ least 3 hours to Golden in summer when the roads are packed with tourists and in winter about the same with poor weather. Not to mention longer when there are accidents. No thanks.
Vernon or Sicamous would be my choice @ about 1.5 hours to airport and there is a lot more to do in the summer, and the riding is better as it's not as cold as Golden in winter. The sledding and roads are better on that side of the rockies. (Revy and Sicamous)
Just my 2 cents

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you moved to Vernon, you are almost halfway between Sicamous sledding and the Kelowna Airport.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Be warned, living in vernon comes with there being no jobs, if you have a family that will be coming with, also the rent is high in vernon. I would look at staying around sicamous. More available riding within a couple hours drive.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be warned, living in vernon comes with there being no jobs, if you have a family that will be coming with, also the rent is high in vernon. I would look at staying around sicamous. More available riding within a couple hours drive.
Has a fly in/out job.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah my first choice would be revy but that either required me to fly from calgary to whatever airport is closest to revelstoke and also the from that airport to home. I could drive to revelstoke from calgary but that is 2 bad passes to go through in the winter instead of one just before golden.

Maybe I will have a peek at sicamous.

I don't really care where it is. I just want a few acres in or near the mountains where I don't have to spend $800 000 and I can drive from calgary (or edmonton) and not worry about being stuck on the highway for a few days

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is humerous, ppl commenting on stuff they dont even know. You want the real deal, this is the place to be. You are 1hr from radium, which has some great boating, 2.5hrs from sicamous for even better boating(all of which are day trips when you look at calgary to little bow). Hell columbia lake is the best i say, extremely warm and no crowds. Even for the jet boat... tons of rivers just beggin for gravel grousing :) As for quadding/dirtbiking, you cant beat the location for less than 1hr day trips. Tons of logging roads and places to be discovered. Hiking, well where does one start. And as for sledding, wellin a 1.5hr or less radius you get golden, revy, and radium. Just 2 weekends ago we did a day trip out to eagles, and it was great. No rush or worry in the world. there is so much more to golden than silent girman and quartz, if this is all you know you live a sheltered life lol. The deals on houses around here right now are really decent. I remember a 2500sq.ft tripple car house for low low 400's. right now i can communte this in 2hrs and 15mins from calgary. Today on a long weekend it was a little more cause i had a flat on the sled trailor and a little traffic. Revy is a big ??? on my mind, what if hwy 1 is closed and you want to go home or work.... it happened 4 times over the holidays.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the area a couple years in the past, skied in the area and sleded the area for 15 years, however you could never convince me to live there. The town is full of transents, drugs, losers and real estate purchases become dead money as interest is slim to none. Maybe RCR's purchase of the resort can ch ange that but in my opinion don't waste another second of thinking about locating to this deadbeat town. I know at least 5-7 people who bought real estate there in the last 5 years that want to get out but can't. The mtn's are a blast out there but it's not all "a" rated.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the area a couple years in the past, skied in the area and sleded the area for 15 years, however you could never convince me to live there. The town is full of transents, drugs, losers and real estate purchases become dead money as interest is slim to none. Maybe RCR's purchase of the resort can ch ange that but in my opinion don't waste another second of thinking about locating to this deadbeat town. I know at least 5-7 people who bought real estate there in the last 5 years that want to get out but can't. The mtn's are a blast out there but it's not all "a" rated.

any town with a ski resort is going to have these issues. most resort towns are having issues with real estate sales, mostly because people paid waaay to much for the properties over the last few years in my opinion.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any town with a ski resort is going to have these issues. most resort towns are having issues with real estate sales, mostly because people paid waaay to much for the properties over the last few years in my opinion.
True, i forgot to mention Hindu Temple, redneck Loggers, racist Alberta oil sledders and hippie ski/snowboarders always fighting each other literally in the bar and outside the bar with fists and bottles. Don't forget BC's worst air quality due to the mill ( lots and lots of asthma cases amongst locals in town.)

It's not as bad as this anywhere I can think of in BC's except maybe Prince George, Smithers.It's a million times better where you are Pano-dude. Just saying this place has some severe growing pains at present.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was born and more less raised in Golden and graduated there although be it some time ago. Still have tons of relatives there and visit fairly often (my family was one of the first settlers in the area). Moved around after graduating and many years later ended up in Armstrong. Would not trade moving back to Golden for all the tea in China. I have to travel overseas fairly often so the kelowna airport is 45 mins away. Sicamous, 35 min away, Revi 1 hr away. The climate in the Okanagan cannot be beaten plus during the summer months when everyone is fighting to get back to Alberta you can stay and simply grin that you dont have to. I was in Golden 10 days ago and I am still amazed at the housing prices in Golden.....stupid money for nothing. And like someone said, try unloading one if you need to move out. Unfortunately the ski hill did not manage to bring good paying jobs in Golden and the mill's long term future is questionable. If it goes down, housing prices will collapse IMO. CP is there but I heard Teck-Comminco is going to start buying their own rail cars and repairing them down south. Suggest before you buy, simply move there and live a year first and rent. Dont buy!!!

Good luck!

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Golden is off my list back to looking in the Kootneys area. Outside Castlegar somewhere i think. Will be putting houses on the market befor end of mar and taking a trip to Kootneys area to look around.

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is humerous, ppl commenting on stuff they dont even know. You want the real deal, this is the place to be. You are 1hr from radium, which has some great boating, 2.5hrs from sicamous for even better boating(all of which are day trips when you look at calgary to little bow). Hell columbia lake is the best i say, extremely warm and no crowds. Even for the jet boat... tons of rivers just beggin for gravel grousing :) As for quadding/dirtbiking, you cant beat the location for less than 1hr day trips. Tons of logging roads and places to be discovered. Hiking, well where does one start. And as for sledding, wellin a 1.5hr or less radius you get golden, revy, and radium. Just 2 weekends ago we did a day trip out to eagles, and it was great. No rush or worry in the world. there is so much more to golden than silent girman and quartz, if this is all you know you live a sheltered life lol. The deals on houses around here right now are really decent. I remember a 2500sq.ft tripple car house for low low 400's. right now i can communte this in 2hrs and 15mins from calgary. Today on a long weekend it was a little more cause i had a flat on the sled trailor and a little traffic. Revy is a big ??? on my mind, what if hwy 1 is closed and you want to go home or work.... it happened 4 times over the holidays.

Why does nobody from Golden talk about Kinbasket lake?

Top Bottom